Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open revolver

Makicjf

If I were to put together an actual open revolver in 38 ( short and .898 brass for major) is a V comp a good start?  I appear to shoot heavier guns better.  

I have zero experience with a V-Comp.

Jason

33 minutes ago, Bill Sahlberg said:

No sense making major as all 8 shot revolvers are scored minor in USPSA

In open?  I'd be shooting dotted and comped.

My understanding was 38 super, 9mm etc were eligible for major in open.

I'm fairly certain 38/357 is eligible for major in Revo  in a six shot, too.

I'm wanting to focus fully for the next 2 years in improving my optic Revo shooting for SC and ICORE.  

Honestly, I have no illusion of being "competitive" with a Revo in USPSA ( dotted or otherwise)

I just hate the idea of leaving points behind. I also simply want to build a safe shortish case major 38 caliber load.  

The only reason I shoot USPSA with a Revo at all is to practice for the ICORE regional and IRC.

Do you have any experience with a V-Comp?

I love my 5 inch 627, but wonder if a stouter blaster might work better in the role stated above.

Thanks.

Jason

If you are shooting open, your eight round revolver can be scored major. I have no idea on any of the rest of it as I only goofed off in revolver a little bit. Good luck

20 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

In open?  I'd be shooting dotted and comped.

My understanding was 38 super, 9mm etc were eligible for major in open.

I'm fairly certain 38/357 is eligible for major in Revo  in a six shot, too.

I'm wanting to focus fully for the next 2 years in improving my optic Revo shooting for SC and ICORE.  

Honestly, I have no illusion of being "competitive" with a Revo in USPSA ( dotted or otherwise)

I just hate the idea of leaving points behind. I also simply want to build a safe shortish case major 38 caliber load.  

The only reason I shoot USPSA with a Revo at all is to practice for the ICORE regional and IRC.

Do you have any experience with a V-Comp?

I love my 5 inch 627, but wonder if a stouter blaster might work better in the role stated above.

Thanks.

Jason

You need to read the rule book. Particularly the division rules in the end. Revolver shooting major requires reloading after 6 shots.

I vote build a nice minor icore open gun and shoot it in uspsa. I prefer a heavy open gun in icore and a light one in SC.

If your worried about the points it’s not hard to do the math after the match. If you’re worried about using it as a training opportunity for icore and SC then you’ll be shooting the gun you’re training with. You aren’t going to win open with a revolver at a club match if there’s a B class open shooter there anyways, so why bother with major? 

On the question if the vcomp- it’s only ok as a magnum/major gun. The comp isn’t a comp, it’s a ported cap like all of smiths other “comps.” A custom barrel with either a threaded end to experiment with different comps on the market or have the barrel built with a known comp machined in it is the best option. 

12 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

You need to read the rule book. Particularly the division rules in the end. Revolver shooting major requires reloading after 6 shots.

You need to look at the rule book, specifically the open division requirements. Not the revolver division requirements. In open division you can shoot eight rounds of major all you want

10 minutes ago, MWP said:

I vote build a nice minor icore open gun and shoot it in uspsa. I prefer a heavy open gun in icore and a light one in SC.

If your worried about the points it’s not hard to do the math after the match. If you’re worried about using it as a training opportunity for icore and SC then you’ll be shooting the gun you’re training with. You aren’t going to win open with a revolver at a club match if there’s a B class open shooter there anyways, so why bother with major? 

On the question if the vcomp- it’s only ok as a magnum/major gun. The comp isn’t a comp, it’s a ported cap like all of smiths other “comps.” A custom barrel with either a threaded end to experiment with different comps on the market or have the barrel built with a known comp machined in it is the best option. 

My logical brain understands the fact that major for fun is a waste.

I just have the itch to make major loads.

I'll just shoot some real 100% case capacity H110's for funsies when I want to boom.

Do you know if the V-Comp threads accept other more useful comps?

If I was being really logical I'd just put together another identical 627 5 inch as a back up.

Jason

46 minutes ago, RJH said:

You need to look at the rule book, specifically the open division requirements. Not the revolver division requirements. In open division you can shoot eight rounds of major all you want

Sorry, I realized that after I hit send. Why anyone would want to shoot open with a capacity of 8 is just confusing to my brain. 

14 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Sorry, I realized that after I hit send. Why anyone would want to shoot open with a capacity of 8 is just confusing to my brain. 

Lol, it's revolver, it's never gonna make since 🤣🤣🤣 

JK, enjoy your revolvers 👍🏻

There was an ipsc revolver guy in europe who claimed to shoot major with a short colt.  The short colt is not designed for magnum pressures.  If you must I'd say just use magnums with proper tight moonclips.  I've done it just to see locally, still scored minor.

BUT if you truly want to focus on icore etc...then you want all a's, so shooting open with a revolver it will be an extra incentive to hit a's.

I understand your efforts though, making use of every available discipline to get better.  I even shoot idpa in their special division.  I look at local matches as opportunities to practice putting everything together under pressure.

Edited by pskys2

22 minutes ago, guns_and_labs said:

Can .38 SC brass handle a major load? Yikes. 

I've got 38 special trimmed to .898. I weighed the H2O capacity and it's the same as or slightly greater than 38 super.160 grain 

38 super data makes major .

I've also toyed with 38 short brass seated to 1.280. The math shows similar free space. The 10 I tried showed 0 pressure signs. 

If I go forward with the major project, which is dubious, I have some pressure testing in the works for both the short and "mid" Colt brass.

Y'all are right. There is no rational reason to make up major loads.

The concept of 38 short major loads was intriguing to me.

Jason

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

You would, for the most part, be competitive in classifier matches. That's about it.

2 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

It's not really about USPSA  open, but running courses of fire with a dotted Revo.

If a dotted Revo was permitted in CO or LO that's what I'd do .

My hands are finally healthy enough to make an honest run at OSR in Steel Challenge and ICORE Open division.  

I want to shoot one platform for 2 years (2 IRC's ) and see what I can accomplish.

That would include my dotted 617 for RFPO.

Back to the original:

Does a V-Comp have any advantage over a 627?

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

The v comp has a better comp out there, search revo gear. As for comparing it to other 627s it's the same aside from the thing is muzzle heavy. For note I have a 4" 627 and a v comp. If I was going to have just one a 5" would be my choice. I do really like the 4" though w a dot for SC and feels good w 120pf icorr loads as well. 

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

The v comp has a better comp out there, search revo gear. As for comparing it to other 627s it's the same aside from the thing is muzzle heavy. For note I have a 4" 627 and a v comp. If I was going to have just one a 5" would be my choice. I do really like the 4" though w a dot for SC and feels good w 120pf icorr loads as well. 

That's good to know!

Jason

The internals are all the same out of the box, until the owner does improvements. Some guns come better than others, that's just luck of the draw. The factory doesn't do any tuning on any of them, they just want you to think they do.

Available from Revo-Gear (that's me), TK Custom or Revolver Supply.

And don't listen to these nay-Sayers !!

Shoot major in Open division, and see how many arse's you kick with an 8 shot max. gun 🤣

Post your results here and maybe some others will follow?

(I would suggest you stay away from the short colts, shortened 38 spcl to.898 or Long Colt brass)

And think of your recovery ability going from major in USPSA Open to mouse fart 120 pf for ICORE !!

(not giving 120 pf any shade here, all I shoot these days is 130pf)

Later

627 Vcomp-01.jpg

627 Vcomp-02.jpg

2 hours ago, DukeSoprano said:

The V-comp has better internals then the PC 627

The vcomp and PC are the same gun with different barrels. You can get one with black paint. Exact same internals. 

11 minutes ago, MWP said:

The vcomp and PC are the same gun with different barrels. You can get one with black paint. Exact same internals. 

Well I have been doing action jobs and the first hammer is out of a V-Comp and the other 2 are from a 627 PC and a 929 PC

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6306.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG