Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Rule Books 2023 are online now.

perttime

https://www.ipsc.org/ipsc-rules/rule-books/

Some observations:

- Production Optics Lite Division is gone.

- There's a new Discipline: .22LR Handgun for Juniors and Super Juniors.

- PCC is divided into PCC Optics and PCC Iron Divisions. Sights seems to be the only difference.

- Rifle Divisions have changed. Now, there is Semi Auto Open, Semi Auto Standard, Manual Action Contemporary, Manual Action Bolt.

• Manual Action Contemporary Division
    12. This Division is under evaluation and, unless extended, it will expire on 31 December 2025.
Edited by perttime

In Production, looks like aftermarket hammers and trigger assemblies are fully legal, but there are some restrictions on aftermarket springs. They are only allowed if "in the same configuration" as original factory springs. I'd love more clarification there. I assume things like the DPM springs are out, but what if you have a simple progressive recoil spring?

Coupled mags no longer allowed in Minirifle.

Milling the slide for an optic in production optics seems to be legal now:

19.2 Aftermarket open and optical/electronic sights (see Rules 5.1.3.1 and 5.1.3.2) and mounting plates are
permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun other than
the milling of the slide in order to facilitate the installation of an optical/electronic sight.

Replacement of springs in production and production optics in still not very clear:

19.4 Aftermarket springs are permitted, provided they are in the same configuration as original.

For a Glock Gen 5 the DPM spring might be of the "same configuration". Or it might not...

Canik SFX Rival S is still not on the production division list.

Edited by Walli

Not sure who is reading correctly the Categories of .22LR Handgun:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

6.3 Match Categories
6.3.1 IPSC .22LR Handgun matches must include only Junior and/or Super Junior Categories within each Division
to recognize different groups of competitors. A competitor may declare only one Category for a match or
tournament.
6.3.2 Failure to meet the requirements of the declared Category or failure to declare a Category prior to the start of
the match will result in exclusion from that Category. Details of currently approved Categories and related
requirements are listed in Appendix A2.

I thought it means that only Juniors and Super Juniors can participate. Others believe that everybody can participate, as long as they do not declare a Category.

I sent a question about it at https://www.ipsc.org/contact-ipsc/  I'm curious to see if there is a response.

1 hour ago, Walli said:

Milling the slide for an optic in production optics seems to be legal now:

19.2 Aftermarket open and optical/electronic sights (see Rules 5.1.3.1 and 5.1.3.2) and mounting plates are
permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun other than
the milling of the slide in order to facilitate the installation of an optical/electronic sight.

Milling the slide was previously allowed, that section in the rules hasn't changed. See the extract below from the 2019 rules.

image.png.f8502ef50e3745ed68ece9acbc79ee68.png

And milling the slide would still render the pistol no longer Production-legal if you wanted to go back to iron sights.

26 minutes ago, perttime said:

Not sure who is reading correctly the Categories of .22LR Handgun:

6.3 Match Categories
6.3.1 IPSC .22LR Handgun matches must include only Junior and/or Super Junior Categories within each Division
to recognize different groups of competitors. A competitor may declare only one Category for a match or
tournament.
6.3.2 Failure to meet the requirements of the declared Category or failure to declare a Category prior to the start of
the match will result in exclusion from that Category. Details of currently approved Categories and related
requirements are listed in Appendix A2.

I thought it means that only Juniors and Super Juniors can participate. Others believe that everybody can participate, as long as they do not declare a Category.

I sent a question about it at https://www.ipsc.org/contact-ipsc/  I'm curious to see if there is a response.

My understanding is that the intention at the outset was that only Juniors and Super Juniors could participate in the discipline as a whole.

15 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

My understanding is that the intention at the outset was that only Juniors and Super Juniors could participate in the discipline as a whole.

That is how I read it. But now am uncertain. I guess there are older people, who would like a go.

5 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

[...] They are only allowed if "in the same configuration" as original factory springs. I'd love more clarification there. I assume things like the DPM springs are out, but what if you have a simple progressive recoil spring?

[...]

Historically, there has been some consternation over this issue.  For example, a Glock used to come standard with a captured single spring on a guide rod.  The objection, several years ago, was to replacing it with something like this:  DPM MRS for Glock 17-22-31-34-35-37 Gen 4 Captured Version – DPM Systems Technologies Ltd.  This is clearly a two spring set up.  I tried to get clarification from IROA and the IPSC EC, but to no official decision.  Hence, I've NO idea what they mean now!

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Historically, there has been some consternation over this issue.  For example, a Glock used to come standard with a captured single spring on a guide rod.  The objection, several years ago, was to replacing it with something like this:  DPM MRS for Glock 17-22-31-34-35-37 Gen 4 Captured Version – DPM Systems Technologies Ltd.  This is clearly a two spring set up.  I tried to get clarification from IROA and the IPSC EC, but to no official decision.  Hence, I've NO idea what they mean now!

I gather, it basically has to look like the factory setup.
In USPSA its pretty common for all kinds of striker guns with capture systems to have conversion kits that allow for 1911 springs, and heavier guide rods. Id say those are a nogo unless its a 1911

The captured guide-rod is a pain in production guns. They are typically set up to handle +P loads (around 150 PF), while most competitors are using around 130-135.

I can see the problem with going from a captured spring to a two spring setup, but I see no reason why a change to an open guide rod with a single spring should be prohibited.

There is no competitive advantage, as the recoil system is operating in the same way. Though I can see a concern if the guide-rod was made heavier (ie. Tungsten).

Of course if manufacturers wanted to promote their guns in Prod/Prod-Optics they need only manufacture a captured guide-rod that can be disassembled to facilitate a spring change.

26 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Of course if manufacturers wanted to promote their guns in Prod/Prod-Optics they need only manufacture a captured guide-rod that can be disassembled to facilitate a spring change.

Which goes back to my original worries when I heard they were looking to ban aftermarket trigger assemblies etc...any manufacturer making guns specifically for Production will make those alternative parts that competitors are requesting. This increases the gulf between "true" production guns and the many "race" production guns that now exist.

I'm glad they decided to fully allow all aftermarket triggers and hammers instead, but confused why they havent' done the same for springs.

Edited by Blackstone45

6 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

I'm glad they decided to fully allow all aftermarket triggers and hammers instead, but confused why they haven't done the same for springs.

I completely agree;  A trigger has far more impact on a gun than changing out a guide-rod. I think they dropped the ball here.

Perhaps it just needs some clarification on the rule...?

• 1 month later...

question on production rules in IPSC, I'm thinking of going next year to shoot production division, I shot IPSC before but mostly open division or standard, never really paid attention to production rules. My question is glock 17 gen 3 with aftermarket slide e.g. from 80p builders no windows, no optic cut just front and rear serration with grip stippling and trigger guard undercut and the rest is factory, will that be production legal in IPSC? I was browsing the rules and I did not see any or just miss them. 

5 hours ago, Mrguns said:

question on production rules in IPSC, I'm thinking of going next year to shoot production division, I shot IPSC before but mostly open division or standard, never really paid attention to production rules. My question is glock 17 gen 3 with aftermarket slide e.g. from 80p builders no windows, no optic cut just front and rear serration with grip stippling and trigger guard undercut and the rest is factory, will that be production legal in IPSC? I was browsing the rules and I did not see any or just miss them. 

Afraid not, the rules prohibit all aftermarket parts except for things like mags, springs, triggers, hammers, grips and sights.

- The slide is not from Glock

- Frame is modified (undercut and stippling)

"18. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:

18.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. racking or cocking handles, flared, enlarged and/or add-on magwells, etc.), and/or adding stippling. Changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments is permitted."

Edited by perttime

• 3 weeks later...

So, running 2 sights at the same time in PCC Optics is no longer allowed ? Also, I've been told by my local RM that for "Loaded (Option 2)" start we are no longer allowed to have one hand on the pistol grip and the other one on the charging handle, it has to be one on pistol grip one holding the handguard, his rationale for this comes from the picture on "APPENDIX E1: Diagram of Competitor Ready Condition".

I don't know, that last one in particular doesn't make much sense to me, wouldn't the picture be more like an indication of the position the firearm should be in relation to the shooters body, more than a strict definition on where to put your hands ?

10 hours ago, ard212 said:

So, running 2 sights at the same time in PCC Optics is no longer allowed ? Also, I've been told by my local RM that for "Loaded (Option 2)" start we are no longer allowed to have one hand on the pistol grip and the other one on the charging handle, it has to be one on pistol grip one holding the handguard, his rationale for this comes from the picture on "APPENDIX E1: Diagram of Competitor Ready Condition".

I don't know, that last one in particular doesn't make much sense to me, wouldn't the picture be more like an indication of the position the firearm should be in relation to the shooters body, more than a strict definition on where to put your hands ?

I believe the two sights thing comes from a very...interesting interpretation of the wording in the rulebook. I think it all comes from Appendix D, paragraph 16 where it says: "Only carbines fitted with a non-magnifying optical/electronic sight may be used in PCC Optics Division."

Because it says "a non-magnifying", that implies a single optic. At least, that's their reason for it. I think it's stupid. But apparently the rules committee had already ruled on this.

I think not being allowed your hand on the charging handle makes sense. The competitor ready condition, and shown in diagram E1, covers everything, including how the shooter should be standing. I believe like stage briefings for other disciplines, the ROs are now also demonstrating the start position, to remove any avoidance of doubt?

18 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I believe the two sights thing comes from a very...interesting interpretation of the wording in the rulebook. I think it all comes from Appendix D, paragraph 16 where it says: "Only carbines fitted with a non-magnifying optical/electronic sight may be used in PCC Optics Division."

Because it says "a non-magnifying", that implies a single optic. At least, that's their reason for it. I think it's stupid. But apparently the rules committee had already ruled on this.

I think not being allowed your hand on the charging handle makes sense. The competitor ready condition, and shown in diagram E1, covers everything, including how the shooter should be standing. I believe like stage briefings for other disciplines, the ROs are now also demonstrating the start position, to remove any avoidance of doubt?

Understand the sight part, but the other part just makes no sense to me at least, the diagram in E1 has someone holding a carbine with a magazine inserted, how is that supposed to cover all three ready conditions when option 3 specifically requires the magazine to be outside the gun ? It also causes some issues when it comes to where the charging handle is positioned on different gun models, I know this might not be an issue in the US, but here, a lot of people have Ruger PC9s as their main competition gun, and let me tell you, with this new rule, that side charging handle really makes a difference, before, it didn't matter what kind of charging handle your gun had, since you were already holding it when you started the course of fire.

IDK, seems like going back on something that was already pretty fair and no one was complaining about.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the sights issue:

According to ROs and RMs here in central Europe, the combination of a red dot and laser is a no-go with the new rule book.

So basically, lasers are gone.

They refer to the PCC appendix where it's stated "a non magnifying sight[...]"

Singular, so only one sight, which is non magnifying is allowed anymore.

Welp, time the learn the shoulder swap correctly.

Agree, IPSC Rules Committee should issue official clarification on this. 
I compete mostly in ipsc and i only use one reddot in pcc. But think that arbitrary interpretation of rules on pcc sight(s) had the unintended consequence of banning the 45*. For me its a case of Typo vs Logic.

Exactly what we are discussing here at our clubs as well.

Intentional singular in the appendix? Lasers and 45 degree dots are done.

Not intentional? Well, leave it to the interpretation of the RM.

Second one really sucks cause in one match one can use the offset dot or laser, in another match one has to remove the device the competitor trained with.

And this would suck.

That really needs to be clarified.

I don't think it was an intentional singular. If they intended to change something as important as that (it would affect the majority of PCC shooters as I think any serious competitor would have an offset dot), they would have worded it much more clearly. Such as "only carbines fitted with a single non-magnifying optical/electronic sight may be used..."