Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many people have had a FOB with a p320?

ColoradoNick

Saw a video of it happening on Instagram, with a lot of comments saying they've had similar experiences. Between this and the issues in the past with it I'm thinking about selling my wife's X5. 

link to FOB video

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqnbk6tM4Rq/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by ColoradoNick

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen it once,my friends blew the extractor out the side. Sig warrantied. Has not happened to me. The direction of damage seems to be out the extractor side exclusively. So it is directed away still scary though.

16 minutes ago, m700 said:

Ive seen it once,my friends blew the extractor out the side. Sig warrantied. Has not happened to me. The direction of damage seems to be out the extractor side exclusively. So it is directed away still scary though.

Definitely, scary enough to probably push my wife away from shooting. The problem is she wants my shadow 2 🤣

he has close to 60k through it and I have about the same combined through 3 of them. I think its an extreme rarity and I dont think its exclusive to Sig.

Get her an Oracle later this year.

I like the shadow 2 alot but sold mine last Friday I didnt like making special short rounds for it. and never got around to getting it throated. I needed to free up some fun cash for a 1301. I ordered that the same day and ended up getting the calll yesterday they cant ship to NJ :(

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

Saw a video of it happening on Instagram, with a lot of comments saying they've had similar experiences. Between this and the issues in the past with it I'm thinking about selling my wife's X5. 

link to FOB video

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqnbk6tM4Rq/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I can't see the instagram pic, but based on the convo, I would say I had the extractor blow out 3 times in the last year out of the 8 years of shooting a Sig P320 at a match.  A lot of it was due to bad or old case from the reloads, any new new, newish, cases or factory ammo it never had an issue. 

And Even that same bad case lot blew out an extractor on a Glock, so it can happen to more than just sig.  

So I run the older lot through the PCC or Beretta m9 with no issues so far.

I’ve had it happen 2 times in 5 years and 250k+ rounds.

1 time I’m pretty sure it was a double charge, the other i’m not so sure about.  

the sig is designed to blow out the extractor in an over pressure. 

I had something similar, also caught on video, that blew off my extractor. The bottom of the case blew out. 

I feel much better about the kkm barrel that I put in after that. To say The factory barrel is unsupported is generous. My rounds wiggle in the chamber. No such movement in the kkm. 

55 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Factory ammo or reloads?

That’s the thing of it… I don’t know of anyone that has had it happen with brand new factory ammo.

I know people want to believe that they didn’t f*#k up. But it’s more likely than not that ammo was the cause of most of these problems. 

8 hours ago, Rich406 said:

That’s the thing of it… I don’t know of anyone that has had it happen with brand new factory ammo.

I know people want to believe that they didn’t f*#k up. But it’s more likely than not that ammo was the cause of most of these problems. 

Why can’t it be both. Yes people are using reloads when it happens but why does it seem to happen more frequently with sig? 

is it possible there wouldn’t have been an issue if the reloads were used in a different gun due to the comparatively unsupported chamber? 

That’s my hypothesis anyways. 

18 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

Why can’t it be both. Yes people are using reloads when it happens but why does it seem to happen more frequently with sig? 

is it possible there wouldn’t have been an issue if the reloads were used in a different gun due to the comparatively unsupported chamber? 

That’s my hypothesis anyways. 

That’s entirely possible. In fact sig has changed up the barrel design a few times now, the newer barrels seem to have more support. 

That said, in the video that prompted this thread, the amount of smoke that comes out of the guys gun when it blows up is like 3x his normal shots. It’s hard not to suspect an overcharge. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

That’s entirely possible. In fact sig has changed up the barrel design a few times now, the newer barrels seem to have more support. 

That said, in the video that prompted this thread, the amount of smoke that comes out of the guys gun when it blows up is like 3x his normal shots. It’s hard not to suspect an overcharge. 

That’s what I thought.  I haven’t seen a lot of these so not an expert but I wouldn’t think the gun failing without a double charge cause that much smoke.

I acknowledge it does seem more common in Sigs, but I am not convinced the video that started this thread was the gun’s fault.

It just seems like it happens a lot with sig along with the past issues of the P320 that gave it a black cloud. PSA has CZ P10F's on sale for $399 right now. I ordered one to let my wife compare for now. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

14 minutes ago, terrydoc said:

More common???

If you want statistics, I don’t have them. It just seems like I see more posts/vids of this happening with Sig.  This is what I shoot and will continue to shoot.  I probably will convert to a KKM barrel.

I've been on here for a few years now and I don't think it's as common as people say. Considering how many people post compared to the amount of different guns there are out there, not common at all. Does it happen yep but it happens with the trusty old 1911 and I'll bet just about every other gun too.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:16 AM, Ssanders224 said:

Instead of "FOB" (which I'm not sure is actually happening in these cases),  I'd be looking into how much case is unsupported by the barrel. 

ooo boy... thems fightin words if you say it about glocks...

and I am chuckling.

I have considered what to get for my next pistol...

and a pistol that can only use new ammo to avoid blowouts

is not high on my list.

so I read with interest.

miranda

as a nut on a butt... I hang on tight...  and that may not be what was intended.

long ago for me, I went pistol shopping...

I looked at a lot of 9mm chambers in the process.

the sig 320 was not available at the time  so I do not know

how loose the chamber or open the ramp.

I met a 1911 that looked a lot customized...

ramp curved and the mouth had a taper.

I thought an AE50 case would get in there.

well, probably not...  after looking at 9mm stuff, 45 seems cavernous.

I did draw the line at the rather open ramp on the glocks I saw.

the overall open-ness of a chamber can cause brass to fail

from stretching the case and causing fatigue leading to

work hardened brass and the follow on case failures.

I'd consider it the same kind of extra expense as

a car the requires high test fuel.

it never hurts to know where any real limits stand.

miranda