Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

price check

Vic

Corresponding with a guy on another forum, he has a like new 627 8 shooter, moon clip loading tool and 22 moon clips. Im old as dirt now, and need a state of the art revolver, like I need a hole in the head. Trouble is, I still would like to play with an 8 shot just for s#!tz and grins. He's asking $1100 shipped, is this in the ball park, or is it over priced?

Kind of depends on which 627. If it was a 627-4 in 38 Super I would pay that because I should have sold the last one I had. I can’t imagine they pull as much as they used to in .38/.357 since the 929 came out unless someone was already heavily invested in .38 SC or something like that. I don’t know the value of moon clips these days as I have been making my own for a while now. Best of luck if you choose to get it. 
Lee

if the 627 is a performance center gun and is indeed like new you are in the ballpark, if it is a 627 pro, the price is too high. You should also ask what brand the moonclips are, TK,s are great, anything else only so-so 

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

What the difference between the Pro and the Performance Center?

The most obvious is the Pro has a 4 inch barrel and the PC is 5. Minor differences like a ball indent. I assume the internals are better fitted in the PC but both can be greatly improved by a competent revolver smith.

The PCs get zero action work. The internals are the same as all the other ones, with the parts put in and stuck in a box and kicked out the door. They all need worked over to be competition grade. The S&Ws have the most potential for a really good action of all the brands, including Manhurin, Korth, and all the high dollar Euro ones.

Edited by Toolguy

On 3/10/2023 at 1:03 PM, MWP said:

Yeah it’s a fair deal at 1100 OTD if it’s a PC. If it’s a pro you can buy brand new cheaper. 

like where ? If you can even find one Id be really surprised at 1100 new,, 

7 hours ago, Joe4d said:

like where ? If you can even find one Id be really surprised at 1100 new,, 

They’re around. Usually someone’s trying to get 950-1k on GB for one NIB. I’m pretty sure dealer price is still under low 8s, and Msrp is only 1160, so street price of new ones should be 9-950. 

There’s still deals on new and used guns out there. Just have to be patient and look in the right places.

• 1 month later...

Update: I pulled the trigger and bought it. Guy didn't BS me, looked like it had never been shot, he claimed 100 rounds? I hear that all the time, but this looked legit, no scratches, no flame cutting, and just the slightest hint of a turn line. Came with 22 moons, factory and custom grips, factory aluminum lockable case, just a super clean revolver.

Ive shot competitively for over 30 years with my Glenn custom M14 K frame , best action on a revolver Ive ever felt. Ive been handling the big N frame almost daily trying to fall in love with it, but it's for sure an adjustment process, whole different feel in weight, action and trigger feel. Im sure it will come together, just have to keep popping caps I suppose?

Put a C-More RTS 2 on top of an Alchin mount, really like it. First RDMS system that has worked for my eyes. On my K frame revolver Ive ran with a Tasco PDP 2 for 30 years, something about the tube type sight the dot is always spherical and clear. Ive tried several different window red dots over the last two years, and none of them allowed for a round, sharp dot, would always see irregularities  and slight star bursts. Tried the Vortex Venom, and an SRO, did not work for me. This RTS is the nut, it's sharp and clear, not sure of why, but I like the damned thing.

Ive done just a bit of stoning in action, nothing major, tried adding a TK hammer kit, did not fit in my revolver ( if anyone wants a TK diamond speed hammer kit, hit me up for a bargain) I laid out the scratch and bought the RevUp hammer kit, man didn't lie, it was a true drop in fit, and feels pretty damned good, I'll find out tomorrow if it goes bang.

Anyway, Im in the current century now for revolver shooting equipment, probably to damned old to notice any difference at this point, but it was a bucket list buy to be able to say I rang the bell?

17 hours ago, Vic said:

Update: I pulled the trigger and bought it. Guy didn't BS me, looked like it had never been shot, he claimed 100 rounds? I hear that all the time, but this looked legit, no scratches, no flame cutting, and just the slightest hint of a turn line. Came with 22 moons, factory and custom grips, factory aluminum lockable case, just a super clean revolver.

Ive shot competitively for over 30 years with my Glenn custom M14 K frame , best action on a revolver Ive ever felt. Ive been handling the big N frame almost daily trying to fall in love with it, but it's for sure an adjustment process, whole different feel in weight, action and trigger feel. Im sure it will come together, just have to keep popping caps I suppose?

Put a C-More RTS 2 on top of an Alchin mount, really like it. First RDMS system that has worked for my eyes. On my K frame revolver Ive ran with a Tasco PDP 2 for 30 years, something about the tube type sight the dot is always spherical and clear. Ive tried several different window red dots over the last two years, and none of them allowed for a round, sharp dot, would always see irregularities  and slight star bursts. Tried the Vortex Venom, and an SRO, did not work for me. This RTS is the nut, it's sharp and clear, not sure of why, but I like the damned thing.

Ive done just a bit of stoning in action, nothing major, tried adding a TK hammer kit, did not fit in my revolver ( if anyone wants a TK diamond speed hammer kit, hit me up for a bargain) I laid out the scratch and bought the RevUp hammer kit, man didn't lie, it was a true drop in fit, and feels pretty damned good, I'll find out tomorrow if it goes bang.

Anyway, Im in the current century now for revolver shooting equipment, probably to damned old to notice any difference at this point, but it was a bucket list buy to be able to say I rang the bell?

What didn't fit?  I put a tk hammer in 3 n frames and all 3 needed stoning of the da seer.  Not a lot but enough.