Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California CZ Pref?

CHuynh

Hey folks,

I am unfortunately in California and am in the mercy of its handgun roster. 

I've always wanted a Cz, and after shooting Glocks for a few years I want to start looking for A CZ for Carry Optics or Limited Optics. 

Would y'all folks recommend to buy a SP-01 and have it worked on by CGW or fork out the off-roster tax for a Shadow 2 (some folks selling a Shadow 2 OR for $3-4K), which would significantly increase the costs after getting work done on it compared to a Sp-01. 

My CO gun right now is a Glock 17 Gen 3 with a Timney trigger. 

1 hour ago, CHuynh said:

Hey folks,

I've always wanted a Cz, and after shooting Glocks for a few years I want to start looking for A CZ for Carry Optics or Limited Optics. 

Would y'all folks recommend to buy a SP-01 and have it worked on by CGW or fork out the off-roster tax for a Shadow 2 (some folks selling a Shadow 2 OR for $3-4K), which would significantly increase the costs after getting work done on it compared to a Sp-01. 

That’s a tough decision. If you are ok with it, get a SP-01 as a stepping stone to your future Carry Optic gun…and hopefully the stupid roster will go away by then.

Doing some rough estimates, a stock SP-01 retails for about $800. You can cheap out for the time being and get a optic adapter plate (dovetail) for about $50-70 or milling services for about $200-300, a carry optic (if you don’t already have one), and a Cajun Gun Works Package/Tuning kit for say $300 (easy to DIY) and you are in the ball park of about $1600-1900. 

Or, you get a California Markup Shadow 2 Optics Ready for $3k+.

What ever you choose, factor $250-400 for a belt, mag pouch, and holster system for each. 

1 hour ago, SouperMan said:

That’s a tough decision. If you are ok with it, get a SP-01 as a stepping stone to your future Carry Optic gun…and hopefully the stupid roster will go away by then.

Doing some rough estimates, a stock SP-01 retails for about $800. You can cheap out for the time being and get a optic adapter plate (dovetail) for about $50-70 or milling services for about $200-300, a carry optic (if you don’t already have one), and a Cajun Gun Works Package/Tuning kit for say $300 (easy to DIY) and you are in the ball park of about $1600-1900. 

Or, you get a California Markup Shadow 2 Optics Ready for $3k+.

What ever you choose, factor $250-400 for a belt, mag pouch, and holster system for each. 

I appreciate the response! I would only need a new holster, as I already have belt set up for USPSA. 

Pretty big step up in price isn't it? Especially knowing I could get the sp-01 optic and trigger/internals ready for almost half of what it would cost to get a Shadow 2 w/ internal work done.  

In free states, im sure the price difference between the sp-01 is worth it. But is the Shadow 2 worth 2x in this scenario?

1 hour ago, CHuynh said:

I appreciate the response! I would only need a new holster, as I already have belt set up for USPSA. 

Pretty big step up in price isn't it? Especially knowing I could get the sp-01 optic and trigger/internals ready for almost half of what it would cost to get a Shadow 2 w/ internal work done.  

In free states, im sure the price difference between the sp-01 is worth it. But is the Shadow 2 worth 2x in this scenario?

Do the SP-01 to start. Other than a longer reset due to the FP safety, the triggers are excellent. You can ad weight if that is important to you. Shoot that gun until you are absolutely sure, the gun is holding you back* and the get whatever shadow is hot then and keep the SP-01 for a backup 😉 

Good Luck!

Chuck

* this may take a long time 😉 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Do the SP-01 to start. Other than a longer reset due to the FP safety, the triggers are excellent. You can ad weight if that is important to you. Shoot that gun until you are absolutely sure, the gun is holding you back* and the get whatever shadow is hot then and keep the SP-01 for a backup 😉 

Good Luck!

Chuck

* this may take a long time 😉 

Thanks Chuck.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone around me with a Shadow 2 and sp-01 to hold and compare.  

I compete in USPAS with both the SP-01 and the S2, the difference for me is very little.  If and when you get to be a M or GM then the equipment may make a noticeable difference...IMHO.

An SP-01 with a trigger job is an excellent choice.

I have both the SP01 Shadow and the Shadow 2 but I prefer the SP01.

Locally we have a USPSA shooter that uses exclusively the SP01 and has achieved GM in CO and many other divisions shooting his SP01, while we have another GM that shoots a Shadow 2. 

Unfortunately you don't have that choice. The SP01 with LOK brass grips and CGW guts is a great competition gun.

Edited by ramnj
Font size

On 1/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, ramnj said:

I have both the SP01 Shadow and the Shadow 2 but I prefer the SP01.

Locally we have a USPSA shooter that uses exclusively the SP01 and has achieved GM in CO and many other divisions shooting his SP01, while we have another GM that shoots a Shadow 2. 

Unfortunately you don't have that choice. The SP01 with LOK brass grips and CGW guts is a great competition gun.

CO

Production

On 1/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, CHuynh said:

Hey folks,

Really just get a used SP-01 (should be in the $600 range).  Get it milled for $240 at Primary Machine which includes refinishing.  Don't spend the whole $300 for the complete CGW Pro package.  First deburr and polish every part of the action that rubs or pushes against something else.  Then add the SRS-2 Short Reset System ($72), a few CGW trigger return springs ($7) and a CGW floating trigger pin ($13).  The SRS comes with two hammer springs.  Start with the black one (11.5 lbs) and only use the blue 13 lb spring if you have any primer ignition issues not caused by not seating them right.

You'll be about 90% of the way to a Shadow for about $1000 not including the optic.

25 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Really just get a used SP-01 (should be in the $600 range).  Get it milled for $240 at Primary Machine which includes refinishing.  Don't spend the whole $300 for the complete CGW Pro package.  First deburr and polish every part of the action that rubs or pushes against something else.  Then add the SRS-2 Short Reset System ($72), a few CGW trigger return springs ($7) and a CGW floating trigger pin ($13).  The SRS comes with two hammer springs.  Start with the black one (11.5 lbs) and only use the blue 13 lb spring if you have any primer ignition issues not caused by not seating them right.

You'll be about 90% of the way to a Shadow for about $1000 not including the optic.

Thank you for the advice sir! If that's you shooting in those videos, very nice!! I'll be looking on the market for a used SP-01! If I can get it close to a Shadow 2 for less than half, I think the rest should be spent on ammo and training and would go much further in terms of results. 

14 minutes ago, CHuynh said:

Thank you for the advice sir!

You're welcome.  I gave you that advice based on my experience tuning a 75BD to make it as good as I can for the least amount of money.

14 minutes ago, CHuynh said:

If that's you shooting in those videos, very nice!!

Oh no way that's me.  I wish.  That's the guy that the gentleman from NJ was referring to.  The shooter in the videos is Matt Hemple and he's a force to be reckoned with.  Just put it there for you to see what can be done with a tuned up Shadow 1 or SP-01

The grip shape of the SP01 and S2 are different but even in my large hands, my SP01 feels good, just different from my S2. My SP01 has CGW pro package I installed, black mainspring, yellow recoil spring. Runs great, just loctite the safety adjustment screw and maintain the trigger shoe adjustment screws. And get the safety version, not the decocker (tactical) version, but that is just my opinion.

The short reset in an SP01 is one thing, but the reduced reach and old style trigger is also a nice feature I would recommend. 

I’ve had both the fully tuned SP01 and a Shadow 2, I can honestly tell you I much prefer the S2. I sold off my SP01’s and Bull Shadows to buy the S2. Having paid the off roster price for the S2 it’s expensive (buy once cry once) but fits me me much better, but I’ve recently made a platform switch so my S2 is now gathering dust.