Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Latest Rugged Red Dots for CO

RGC

Sending a slide in to Patriot Defense soon.  Not sure what red dot to affix and get cut for.  I have used 3XL/MAX's, RTS2, SRO's on open pistols, but not on CO.  I know my SRO REALLY did not like LED lighting, but aside from that all were fine sitting on top of a fixed mount.  Now the hammering back on a slide is obviously something entirely different.  In 2023, what would be my best bet to use for durability?  Never used a Holosun, but like larger windows so that may be an option if durable.  Really open.... 

I think the consensus is still SRO. But those break too.

There are a lot of theories though. Seems CZ's really kill a lot of dots, but why? Light slide, light recoil spring, light hammer spring, direct mount, all of the above, who knows. I know one guy who thinks it's high round count practice sessions that kill them. Stating he only shoots matches and doesn't break dots, where guys he knows that break dots go train and shoot 300 rounds in 30 mins or so regularly. 

I've killed a few dots, all have been during practice and I do those 300 round quick training sessions. Maybe there is something to it. 

Seems like a crap shoot. 

7 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think the consensus is still SRO. But those break too.

There are a lot of theories though. Seems CZ's really kill a lot of dots, but why? Light slide, light recoil spring, light hammer spring, direct mount, all of the above, who knows. I know one guy who thinks it's high round count practice sessions that kill them. Stating he only shoots matches and doesn't break dots, where guys he knows that break dots go train and shoot 300 rounds in 30 mins or so regularly. 

I've killed a few dots, all have been during practice and I do those 300 round quick training sessions. Maybe there is something to it. 

Seems like a crap shoot. 

Thanks Mike.  Its something to note as the slide I was going to have cut is a Tanfoglio, and I do want to dump rounds on weekend practice sessions....

9 minutes ago, RGC said:

Thanks Mike.  Its something to note as the slide I was going to have cut is a Tanfoglio, and I do want to dump rounds on weekend practice sessions....

I can't think of why shooting like that would make them fail. His theory is heat, but I don't think the back of the slide gets that hot. But, it's a observation that's hard to ignore. It could just be it's a small sample size, most guys who only shoot matches probably shoot less ammo overall. In this case my friends dots have higher round counts than when mine failed yet he hasn't broken a SRO and I have. 

I took a year off from CO, coming back to open minor (LO) my current guns not CZ, plus have plates and heavier hammer springs will in theory take more energy out of the slide. But, I'll still practice the same way, so we'll see how this year goes. 

My advice if you're going to shoot majors have a spare dot, or even a hole spare gun if you can. I'd personally take 3 holosuns at $200 each over one Sig at $700 or what ever they are now. 

I also went with the holosun because I owned them already. But they take an RMR footprint if I ever wanted to switch to an SRO… 

but I’m Kinda wanting to get my hands on the new hollow sun competition model that’s coming out in a few months

1 hour ago, Zachjet said:

I also went with the holosun because I owned them already. But they take an RMR footprint if I ever wanted to switch to an SRO… 

but I’m Kinda wanting to get my hands on the new hollow sun competition model that’s coming out in a few months

Trying to find info on this......a Shotshow announcement?

14 minutes ago, RGC said:

Trying to find info on this......a Shotshow announcement?

Nothing on their website yet. But I did see a YouTube video that they’re expecting a second quarter release

pretty much looks like my 508T. Just bigger.

2MOA dot 

8MOA open circle

Then I think it’s a 20 moa and 30 moa circles but don’t quote me on those last two

i’m waiting to get more information on it because I was looking to upgrade the dot on my tanfo. And to be honest I have no problems with Holoson and tend to be brand loyal

Edited by Zachjet

I’m currently using a Max but have used an SRO in the past, no issues with the MAX yet but I’m sure it will eventually, they all do. When I had the SRO it went out at around 5k rounds it took about 6 weeks to get fixed, that’s one reason I switched to the MAX it seems Sig replaces/fixes them in about 2 weeks.

edit: I am however looking to try out the new 507comp when it’s released

Edited by mveto

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, ItsKirby said:

I had the 507c and currently i am on my 3rd one. For the price point its a good optic, due to my bad eye sight, i like to shoot with the HALO  reticle so that is what I am chasing. I just wish it was more durable.

What was the round count on those and what gun was it?

I've got two SROs that have been working well. One with 15k+, one I bought used so I'm unsure of the round count. I've put at least 4500 on that one. I've also got a 508T but not near the round count. It was on a carry gun for awhile, now its on a gun that doesn't get shot currently. 

Pushing 30K on one SRO and 20k on another since 2020.  Both are on HK VP9 long slides, have been run hard in classes (including lots of one hand manipulations) and zero issues.  On the (higher volume) game gun I kept the same battery for two years, changed it at new year's on principle, it still had ~45% power capacity.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:02 AM, Racinready300ex said:

What was the round count on those and what gun was it?

I have it on a shadow2, i had about 2-3k on the optic. Both issues were the buttons stopped working. They replaced it under warranty but now i keep a 2nd optic incase it breaks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

The most rugged out of the ones I've used has been the RTS2 v5. I've broke 2 Alpha 3 dots, 1 SRO, and a few vortex optics. I still use the Alpha 3 simply because I had my A01LD cut for it. The girlfriends r3Max is probably about gone too, button's need to be pressed pretty hard. 

I would go back to the SRO but I really really hate the window. 

24 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

The most rugged out of the ones I've used has been the RTS2 v5. I've broke 2 Alpha 3 dots, 1 SRO, and a few vortex optics. I still use the Alpha 3 simply because I had my A01LD cut for it. The girlfriends r3Max is probably about gone too, button's need to be pressed pretty hard. 

I would go back to the SRO but I really really hate the window. 

Hmm.  Have an RTS2 V5 sitting in front of me (do like the window...maybe just used to it), an Alpha NIB waiting on an MPA Open application, and agree on the SRO hate.....and "had" a Stock 2 with an RTS2 that just keeps going according to the current owner......