Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Progressive Press Wishes

I thought it might be fun to start a topic for progressive press owners wants/desires. I will start it off.

I would like to see a more consistent accurate powder measure system. Currently, with modifications, the Dillon seems to be the most consistently accurate powder measure. Has to be a better more accurate system. 

What other “wants” do progressive reloaders have?

@cbrussell Great idea!  ;)

IMO, if we search the Dillon and non-Dillon Reloading Equipment Forums for some of the most discussed problems/issues when reloading, I think "priming issues" would be near or at the top of the list!  IMO, with regards to presses that are considered "commercial" grade (1050/1100, MK7, and now FA FX10), one of the most discussed systems is the priming system and the problems/failures that seem to be experienced by almost everyone that uses or has used one.  Have even noticed threads where users have returned/sold their press because of apparently unresolvable priming issues!

What I would like to see all the major manufacturers offer, if we are to continue using their equipment in the current configurations, is some sort of primer orientation/confirmation "sensor" that would actually let the operator know if there was indeed an actual primer correctly seated and in the correct orientation.  

One thing I look forward to when finally going automated with the Mark 7 auto drive is the option to use the Primer Orientation Sensor!

https://www.markvii-loading.com/accessories/mark-7r-autodrive-accessories-sensors/primer-orientation-sensor.html

How great would it be to have a similar design that could be incorporated into the Dillon, Mk7, and FA presses that could activate some sort of audible/visual alarm?  Maybe an alarm similar to the ones used on powder checkers and primer magazines?

Wishful thinking, huh?

;)

58 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@cbrussell Great idea!  ;)

IMO, if we search the Dillon and non-Dillon Reloading Equipment Forums for some of the most discussed problems/issues when reloading, I think "priming issues" would be near or at the top of the list!  IMO, with regards to presses that are considered "commercial" grade (1050/1100, MK7, and now FA FX10), one of the most discussed systems is the priming system and the problems/failures that seem to be experienced by almost everyone that uses or has used one.  Have even noticed threads where users have returned/sold their press because of apparently unresolvable priming issues!

What I would like to see all the major manufacturers offer, if we are to continue using their equipment in the current configurations, is some sort of primer orientation/confirmation "sensor" that would actually let the operator know if there was indeed an actual primer correctly seated and in the correct orientation.  

One thing I look forward to when finally going automated with the Mark 7 auto drive is the option to use the Primer Orientation Sensor!

https://www.markvii-loading.com/accessories/mark-7r-autodrive-accessories-sensors/primer-orientation-sensor.html

How great would it be to have a similar design that could be incorporated into the Dillon, Mk7, and FA presses that could activate some sort of audible/visual alarm?  Maybe an alarm similar to the ones used on powder checkers and primer magazines?

Wishful thinking, huh?

;)

I like that idea!👍🏻

At this point in time if someone made a single stage, auto feeding, priming machine, I'd consider buying one. Maybe a 2 stage, so it could also have a primer confirmation check. 

For a progressive, I'll still always process, but my dream would be:

1. Feed
  2. Debris check, also maybe crack check (like the Camdex does)
  3. decap
  4. ream/swage (prefer ream as I now have on my 1050)
  5. prime
  6. primer check/neck flare
  7. powder
  8. powder check
  9. bullet feed
  10. bullet check/seat
  11. crimp

But 12 stations like the new Titan has might just do it. Depending on how they have it setup for swaging/reaming. The CP2000 with the reamer on the other side from the normal swage station would also work for me as a processing machine. As it stands now I have a dedicated toolhead just for checking for debris in cases, which is annoying. 

26 minutes ago, stephenmcrna said:

Anybody familiar with history of mark 7?  I’m curious when it will be “safe” to buy the genesys.   I’m sure there will be some kinks to work out.  

MK7 has been bought and now owned by Lyman products.

1 hour ago, Zachjet said:

Bet a lot of people like me load on the LNL. I vote for a Hornady section 

Have loaded 113,373 rounds on my LNL's, but I did do about 50,000 on my SBD and 550 before I sold them to buy the LNL's.

6 hours ago, stephenmcrna said:

Anybody familiar with history of mark 7?  I’m curious when it will be “safe” to buy the genesys.   I’m sure there will be some kinks to work out.  

At 8:25 in the video, Spencer mentions Titan availability around end of first Quarter; and Genesys about 60 days later................ 

https://youtu.be/eWjE_5yQW0I

Who knows when it will be "safe" to purchase.  IMO, after a few have been field tested, we'll definitely get feedback; and hopefully there will be support and warranty for a significant amount of time to prove their goal is complete customer satisfaction!

🤔

3 hours ago, dannyd said:

Have loaded 113,373 rounds on my LNL's, but I did do about 50,000 on my SBD and 550 before I sold them to buy the LNL's.

I really have no complaints with mine.  I don’t load anywhere near the volume most of you guys do.  But it suits my needs…..for now 

I'll keep my Dillon, but since these are just wishes ... How about a RCBS progressive that actually works, and is competitive in the marketplace. Never understood why they couldn't do that.

Edited by SIGcurious

19 hours ago, Zachjet said:

I really have no complaints with mine.  I don’t load anywhere near the volume most of you guys do.  But it suits my needs…..for now 

There just as good as a Dillion in the right hands  :)

5 hours ago, SIGcurious said:

I'll keep my Dillon, but since these are just wishes ... How about a RCBS progressive that actually works, and is competitive in the marketplace. Never understood why they couldn't do that. 

Mostly management ran by old guy's who didn't see the need.

It puzzles me as well; evidently FA sees the opportunity to design from the ground up so I don’t see why RCBS, Hornsby and others don’t. Lyman/Mark 7 seems to be innovating like crazy, just wish their stuff was a little less pricey. 
I think all progressive presses should have a 10 station toolhead; 12 would be even better. More flexibility.

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Couldn't agree more!!

While I agree, I think these presses are going to be cost prohibitive for most.  How many people are reloading the amount of ammo required to make the ROI worth it?  

I would Love the new Genesys that $6k price tag is steep.  I am not sure I load enough ammo with current primer stock issues for that type of investment.  For me that money would be better served in other areas.  Curious to how many of those presses they will actually sell in the current economic climate.  It could be just a spin off of the Titan, which maybe the Titan has a real market and they have pre orders to justify the R&D.  In that case the Genesys makes sense.  If primer costs come down significantly and the economy does not melt down, then maybe more could make that investment.

They do look super awesome though.  Much better design in many aspects.  The three ram system seems way better than the pivot/knuckle system of older designs.