Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DLC vs. Cerkote

docscoutjr

I have the tough decision to get my new open build done in DLC as part of my 'smiths package or take it bald and get it Cerkote'd 

TTMA it.  As I live in Canada this will a forever thing (assuming I am still allowed to keep it moving forward), so am torn between a super fancy colour scheme or the more durable DLC.  

Thanks, 

DL 

My choices in order:

Hard Chrome

DLC, PVD, etc

Black Nitride

Cerakote

With that said, I have an LWRC that rides with me every day at work.  In and out of a rifle lock at least twice a week and it's Cerakote is holding up better than anodizing did on my SMG45.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:40 PM, docscoutjr said:

Thanks!! 

Function vs. Fashion.  

DLC applied to a high polished slide/frame can look quite striking. If you want it fancy you could also see if the builder has relationship with any laser engraving shops that would do something custom pre-DLC so you'd have something unique. 

1 hour ago, regor said:

DLC applied to a high polished slide/frame can look quite striking. If you want it fancy you could also see if the builder has relationship with any laser engraving shops that would do something custom pre-DLC so you'd have something unique. 

I love that look! High polish and DLC on top. 

DLC gives a superhard coating that helps lubricity (action feels smoother/slicker), but doesn't necessarily help that much with corrosion protection.

Cerakote will hurt function until it wears in (gummy, sluggish, while you're wearing through it on mating/sliding surfaces). CKote, however, is outstanding for corrosion protection, and is a pretty tough finish in general. Once it wears in it's typically no worse than a standard action (no finish special coating/finish).

Yep.  DLC is primarily used to coat high quality cutting tools used for hard surface machining, like carbide end mills.  For that application, it increases tool life, facilitates chip removal and allows for dry machining.  Cerakote is basically a two-part baked-on paint.  It will typically wear through at any contact areas very quickly, leaving no protection on those surfaces.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
13 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Congratulations, you finally got your post count up to 50!🤣

Yeah. I got the popcorn ready. Let’s see what will be for sale!