Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124gr loads for 2011

Pmatte1

Getting started reloading for my 2011 9mm. Tired of shooting case after case of blazer brass 124s. 
have plenty of reloading time just not much with 9mm or with running light loads for mess around shooting local stuff. Looking for some steel shooting loads / just light paper loads to shoot quick. 
was thinking

124gr 

autocomp powder since I have it. 
if another powder is better def open to suggestions. 
grain/OAL?

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Autocomp is good, not too fast or slow. Follow the website recommendations to come up with a load you like

The 4.3 start point from their load data is definitely high it’s producing a PF above factory loads and I know guys go way lighter. Was just looking for some recs of what’s worked for guys for that somewhat specific task 

Autocomp is too slow for soft shooting loads, I'd suggest something like Bullseye/W231/#2/N320/Titegroup/sport pistol  and than somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0 grains depending on powder/bullet. (Check the reloading data for the powder you are going to use)

Around 4.0 these powder will start making 125PF with 124 grain bullets to give some reference.

Slow(er) powder burn poorly when loading minimum loads and can get pretty dirty.

9 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

Autocomp is too slow for soft shooting loads, I'd suggest something like Bullseye/W231/#2/N320/Titegroup/sport pistol  and than somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0 grains depending on powder/bullet. (Check the reloading data for the powder you are going to use)

Around 4.0 these powder will start making 125PF with 124 grain bullets to give some reference.

Slow(er) powder burn poorly when loading minimum loads and can get pretty dirty.

Ah really thank you, I thought slow would be better. I definitely believe but just out of curiosity what about the slow powder makes it run poor when combined with the min load? 

In general powders burn poorly a low pressures, they get inconsistent and/or dirty.

Also a faster powder has less felt recoil compared to slower powders and faster powders allow for slower velocities with again less recoil.

I usually run 3.2 grains Lovex D032/Clean shot behind a 147 grain coated bullet, for steel plates I just change the bullet to a 124 version and voila a soft shooting load.

(n.b. this is below starting load)

Aliant e3 powder is superb for light steel loads.  You can make minor PF if you like, but not necessary for steel.  Aliant Sport Pistol or N320 is the slowest powder I would use.

Same. I stock up when there's a hazmat free weekend or I find some at a decent price local. N320 It is expensive powder - but as Posvar said, it meters really well, it's soft, and clean. In the overall cost of this hobby, it's not a needle mover imho.

Looking at Powder Valley, 1lb of AutoComp @ $30.50, and N320 at $45.25.... And if you assume 4 grains per load (just an average, I realize there's some variance in the powder/grains to make power) that's 1750 rds per lb. $0.0174 (AC) vs $0.0259 (n320) per round. If you shoot 10k rounds a year the premium for n320 over AC would be $84.29 (not incl. tax).

If you went even cheaper with everyone's favorite hot-burning black dirt - TiteGroup, @ $25.50 per LB - @ 10k rounds the premium for n320 over TG is $112.86 (not incl. tax)

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

Aliant Sport Pistol is an exact match, for less money.

Not in all aspects, but yea I like it a lot as well.  Sport Pistol leaves a little more residue in my guns, but not enough to quibble over.  Smells different too once burnt.  I can use either and be just as happy with them.  It is considerably cheaper.  

I use Sport Pistol for coated and N320 for any FMJ, and JHP ammo.  Problem is I have not seen Sport Pistol in forever.  Rumor is that is being sucked up by Federal for their Syntech line.  Makes sense, very little smoke when using that powder with coated bullets.

Luckily I have 24 pounds of Sport Pistol, and  around 14 pounds of N320.    

I have a decent amount of powder and bullets so Primers are priority now.  

I run Clays with 124 BBI bullets for a nice soft minor load.  It's listed on the Hodgdon website if you want to check it out.  I run it at max.  This is in a MPA 2011.  Clays is very clean compared to the titegroup I was using.  Plus I use it in 12 gauge, 45 acp, and revolver loads.  I just wish I could use it for 40.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been running a load atlas recommended for my Erubus of 5 grains of VV N350 under a 125 BB and its been running well in all my comped guns. For my uncomped Ive been running 3.6 grains of AA2 under the same bullets