Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone offer a magazine limiting service?

EXCATM76

Well it looks like IL is about to go the way of the other ban states and limit mag capacity to 12 rounds. I’m not going to get into a will/will not comply thing. However I will need some 12 round mags for matches (the new legal limit if this thing passes).

Does anyone offer a service to modify magazine capacity, like dimpling they mags. I’m looking for 9mm 2011,, M&P and Beretta mags to be modified to hold 12 rounds. 

I can probably buy 10 round Beretta and M&P mags easily enough, but would rather have the legal limit, 12 rounders.

Local gun smiths or gun shops can probably do it. Or at least they'll be learning to soon so they can keep selling mags. Here in MD many will do that for you, some for free if you're buying the mags from them. If you ship a gun to them for the transfer they might charge for it.

There are also ways to do it yourself, should be able to find the info here. I've not done it myself, because our limit has a work around. Here in MD we can't buy or sell hi-cap mags, there is no law currently against owning them. So I just buy all my mags out of state. But, I do have a few 10 round mags I've purchased in state too.

It sounds like our state is about to basically void all CCW permits. After the NY case we became shall issue. They now plan to restrict where you can carry to not with in 100 yards of any public place basically. And not on private property without getting permission from the property owner. One county already passed something like this, and the state is looking to do the same. It's already being challenged in court but that'll take a few years to sort out. Good times.

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

Rivets would work as well, and may be viewed as a more permanent solution.

Rivets are the way to go if you have space in the grip for them.

Are they not grandfathering mags?

So they limited capacity to 15 rounds. Our illustrious governor is signing it tonight. 

Mags can’t be readily converted back to full capacity. I’ve seen post where people talk about epoxying the blocks in place or riveting the baseplate somehow. Is there a way to do this where you can still disassemble the mags for cleaning? 

ETA: I watched the mag block video. I get how they work now.  Do they hurt reliability? Video

Edited by EXCATM76

24 minutes ago, EXCATM76 said:

So they limited capacity to 15 rounds. Our illustrious governor is signing it tonight. 

Mags can’t be readily converted back to full capacity. I’ve seen post where people talk about epoxying the blocks in place or riveting the baseplate somehow. Is there a way to do this where you can still disassemble the mags for cleaning? 

ETA: I watched the mag block video. I get how they work now.  Do they hurt reliability? Video

That portion is only for if you are using those mags in public.  High capacity magazines are still allowed on private property and ranges.  Transport is locked in a case.  Don't get too far ahead and start converting all of your mags to 15rds.  

My P365 has a 15rd mag.  It is the only gun that I really carry in public.  All of my other guns are used at shooting ranges and my property.  Hence, I won't be limiting anything.

I carry every handgun I own. Besides which, the mags have to be transported unloaded. I’d hate to have 2 standard capacity mags with a round or two left in them from the range, make it into my truck for the trip home inadvertently and become a felon.

I’ll have some mags that stay at home unmolested and some for leaving the house. We’ve got 90 days before the mags can’t be taken anywhere but to amd from the range, gun store, etc.. I want to take the time to make sure I have working solutions for all the guns I have that hold more than 15 rounds. Putting a 15 round limiter in a Staccato C2 16 round mags, is just retarded though. Not that any of this isn’t.

17 minutes ago, EXCATM76 said:

I carry every handgun I own. Besides which, the mags have to be transported unloaded. I’d hate to have 2 standard capacity mags with a round or two left in them from the range, make it into my truck for the trip home inadvertently and become a felon.

I’ll have some mags that stay at home unmolested and some for leaving the house. We’ve got 90 days before the mags can’t be taken anywhere but to amd from the range, gun store, etc.. I want to take the time to make sure I have working solutions for all the guns I have that hold more than 15 rounds. Putting a 15 round limiter in a Staccato C2 16 round mags, is just retarded though. Not that any of this isn’t.

I guess in that case you would want to look into this.  Even if my G19 makes it home from Nevada one day it is the only other one that I carry.  Every other handgun is already under 15rds or a competition gun that never gets carried.