Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 Preference

Stafford

Anyone prefer the feel of the 17 over other models? I’ve had a chance to shoot and run on the timer various Glocks of late and I like the balance of the 17 over the 34. And I prefer the grip feel of the 17 over the 19. All had their pluses and minuses in terms of triggers, red dots and/or irons. But just picking them up (all Gen 5’s), I preferred the feel of the 17 best. 

You kind of nailed it, that each model has its pluses and minuses.  I'm of the same opinion, I like the feel of the 17 overall the best.  The longer radius of the 34 is nice, but the recoil benefit doesn't seem enough.  I actually like how my 30 shoots for GSSF and other games even though its so short.

The g45 is a nice offering with the 17 size grip and the 19 size slide…I’ve heard rumors Glock is discontinuing the g17 in the near future - and will instead be offering, the once only available to Border Patrol, g47 after Shot Show 23’.

Just rumors I’ve heard don’t castrate me if I’m not correct!!

6 hours ago, TheChewycookie said:

I personally prefer a 34 over a 17, but appreciate how the 17 works as an all-rounder. Simply swap to sights of choice and an OEM minus connector and I'm very happy

Do you polish internals before adding the - connector? Or just shoot it to fire fit?

I love the 17s but for USPSA I prefer the balance of a 34. 
Like @TheChewycookiesaid, a minus connector is all you need. Reliability and peace of mind is worth a lot. 
You can check out one of my posts on how I have my 34 setup. 
I have the Timney trigger but In all honesty, I prefer a stock with a minus connector.
I had the talon grip sand paper version but took them off and I wish I had done that earlier.  

This is making me want to dust off the ole 17 in the back of the safe. First gun I ever bought and shot a handful of matches with it. Hasn’t seen much light in while. Really tossed up the idea of turning it into a cheap open gun for grins and giggles. 

Interesting this has come up.  After 20 years of 34's with the occasional use of a 17 at matches, I'm transitioning this coming season to the 17's.  Gen 3 CO and a Gen 5 CO.  Planning to keep the gen 5 nude with no talon grip to see how it feels vs the gen 3 with the talon.  Both have Timney triggers, both running Holosun optics but one is green, the other red.

9 minutes ago, haydn123456789 said:

Anyone here have recommendations on a Gen 5 17 uncaptured guide rod? TTI is out of stock. Can I just get the adapter and run a gen 3 guide rod?

No, different size rod. I went with the jentra tungsten from ndzperformance.com 

The jentra rod is thicker, like the carver custom tungsten, .270 vs .245 for the usual guide rods.  Gen 5 is a 4.5 inch guide rod, the regular gen 1-4 are smaller.  Because of that they take Wolff springs not ISMI.  Go to wolff.com, order some 13, 14 and 15 pound springs to see what you and your gun like.  I have traditionally run 13# springs but find that the gen 5, due to the longer barrel, seems to need a heavier spring, so I'm playing with 14 and 15#.

2 hours ago, vluc said:

The jentra rod is thicker, like the carver custom tungsten, .270 vs .245 for the usual guide rods.  Gen 5 is a 4.5 inch guide rod, the regular gen 1-4 are smaller.  Because of that they take Wolff springs not ISMI.  Go to wolff.com, order some 13, 14 and 15 pound springs to see what you and your gun like.  I have traditionally run 13# springs but find that the gen 5, due to the longer barrel, seems to need a heavier spring, so I'm playing with 14 and 15#.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have Both a 17 g5 and 34 g5 set up with SF X300U and GS heavy tungsten rod 15lb spring.  The 34 weighs 2oz more and all of that is slide weight.  When I shoot them back to back I can feel the 34's slide moving slower and at speed I was sending a shot low with the 34.  I think it's all the slide mass coming back into battery.  I'm gonna shoot the 17 for a while.

Now only if I could get a timney trigger to light primes consistently.  Has anyone seen another fully cocked trigger system for the Glock?

2 hours ago, epault said:

I have Both a 17 g5 and 34 g5 set up with SF X300U and GS heavy tungsten rod 15lb spring.  The 34 weighs 2oz more and all of that is slide weight.  When I shoot them back to back I can feel the 34's slide moving slower and at speed I was sending a shot low with the 34.  I think it's all the slide mass coming back into battery.  I'm gonna shoot the 17 for a while.

Now only if I could get a timney trigger to light primes consistently.  Has anyone seen another fully cocked trigger system for the Glock?

Trigger bar shark fin could be barely disengaging the firing pin block which drags on the striker.

Check to see if the striker lug is dragging on the Timney’s trigger bar cruciform. Remove striker from slide, remove slide, sharpie/dye the cruciform, install slide, lock slide back, install striker, release slide lock. This way your striker is fully cocked without dragging over your sharpie mark. Now dry fire. Remove slide without pulling back the slide far enough for the striker to drag across the cruciform. Check sharpie mark for any drag.

Possible fixes if thats the issue:

Your connector might not have an aggressive enough angle or long enough ledge to fully drop the trigger bar out of the path of the striker.

Remove some material from the bottom of the striker lug.

Bend the cruciform down a little bit.

Sometimes the trigger bar hits the frame early where it makes a 90° bend and prevents the trigger bar from going all the way back. Removing some material from that corner will let the triggee bar have fully travel.

Edited by tt350z

Thank you for the advice.  I'm stock striker spring, stock connector, and red return spring.  I've checked for striker drag and yes I have it.  Removed material from top of cruciform until no contact.  I haven't tried to remove material from striker lug or bending the cruciform.  I'll try that next.  I shoot a bunch of mil ball and frange and those primers are tough.  If you have any other ideas please PM me I don't wanna hijack the thread.