Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 Preference

Stafford

On 12/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, Kjrobbins24 said:

The g45 is a nice offering with the 17 size grip and the 19 size slide…I’ve heard rumors Glock is discontinuing the g17 in the near future - and will instead be offering, the once only available to Border Patrol, g47 after Shot Show 23’.

Just rumors I’ve heard don’t castrate me if I’m not correct!!

Enough people have been circulating the rumors so I'm pretty sure they're going to be putting the 47 out to the public.  Having been issued the 47 I can say it's a great platform.  The ability to make a 45, or 19x or whatever from a full size is a fun/practical option.  I only have a few thousand rounds through the 47 but it handles like every 17 I've ever shot and is compatible with all the same holsters.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:13 AM, MattYvip said:

Enough people have been circulating the rumors so I'm pretty sure they're going to be putting the 47 out to the public.  Having been issued the 47 I can say it's a great platform.  The ability to make a 45, or 19x or whatever from a full size is a fun/practical option.  I only have a few thousand rounds through the 47 but it handles like every 17 I've ever shot and is compatible with all the same holsters.

Thanks for sharing. Cant wait to shoot. Dont know if I'll get one, we'll see.

7 minutes ago, rennD said:

Thanks for sharing. Cant wait to shoot. Dont know if I'll get one, we'll see.

The only big downside is the finish.  at least on the lots the USBP received the finish would wear down badly after a few hundred dry fire draws and a couple hundred rounds for training and qualification any contact points with the holster wore the finish clean off.  Hopefully they fix it for the general release.  

So it's a 17 slide on a 19 frame? I have such as a carry gun. Boresight Solutions did a great job on a G17 years ago. Very nice for EDC when I want something other than my 43X. But what advantage does 17 over 19 have as a game gun? Most people who shoot for accuracy shoot full size pistols. Most people who shoot for speed shoot full size pistols.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:14 AM, lgh said:

So it's a 17 slide on a 19 frame? I have such as a carry gun. Boresight Solutions did a great job on a G17 years ago. Very nice for EDC when I want something other than my 43X. But what advantage does 17 over 19 have as a game gun? Most people who shoot for accuracy shoot full size pistols. Most people who shoot for speed shoot full size pistols.

How cute that you think a 17 is a full size Glock.  A 34 is a full size Glock.  😉

On 12/27/2022 at 1:33 PM, Kjrobbins24 said:

The g45 is a nice offering with the 17 size grip and the 19 size slide…I’ve heard rumors Glock is discontinuing the g17 in the near future - and will instead be offering, the once only available to Border Patrol, g47 after Shot Show 23’.

I'd be surprised if the G17 was discontinued. My understanding is that they are still producing runs of Gen 3s.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:33 PM, Kjrobbins24 said:

I'd be surprised if the G17 was discontinued. My understanding is that they are still producing runs of Gen 3s.

On 12/30/2022 at 6:22 PM, vluc said:

The jentra rod is thicker, like the carver custom tungsten, .270 vs .245 for the usual guide rods.  Gen 5 is a 4.5 inch guide rod, the regular gen 1-4 are smaller.  Because of that they take Wolff springs not ISMI.  Go to wolff.com, order some 13, 14 and 15 pound springs to see what you and your gun like.  I have traditionally run 13# springs but find that the gen 5, due to the longer barrel, seems to need a heavier spring, so I'm playing with 14 and 15#.

I have the thick Carver rod in my Gen5 17 and 34, I like them.  If you're ordering springs from Wolff.com, might as well grab at least one 11 lb spring just to see if you like it.  You may be surprised.  But, they 13 or 15 is probably where you'll eventually end up.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:42 PM, Stafford said:

Decided to go all in with the Glock 17 this year in CO and have purchased a second Gen 5 17 as a back up. Will get it milled soon. 

If it's just a competition gun/range toy, I'd recommend getting it milled all the way back and doing away with iron sights altogether.  I have a 34 MOS, and after shearing plate screws twice, I got a regular gen5 17 and had it milled all the way back.  With iron sights in Production, it was a 34 for many years, but now in CO I seem to prefer the "feel" of the 17, not quite sure why.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 3:53 PM, Kettlebell said:

Thank you!

They're almost identical.  I've shot a few thousand rounds through the 47 and I can't tell a discernable difference between the 17 and the 47.  I'm sure there are some who can but I'm just not that good.  

• 4 weeks later...

After owning almost all models/calibers the past 30-35yrs, and Gen2 G21 being my duty gun, I have to agree, the G17 is the Original and still the best model.  The G19's grip is too short, and I prefer longer bbl of G17.  The G19x surprisingly would be my runner up.  I'll never part with my '98 Gen3 G17.

G17 slide with g19L (Lone Wolf) barrel, G17 OEM recoil spring, dust cover filler on a G19 frame (actually a PF 80).  Nice setup except for the funky trigger guard (dremel candidate).  Like that slightly longer sight radius.