Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitioning between targets

cykapath

Being young and coming from video games, I feel that I see targets fast and can call my hits pretty good. However, being newer to shooting, I feel that the gun is much slower than how I'd like it to be and when I try to push it, my gun transitions way further than the target, and I need to switch directions which takes up a lot of time. What should be my mentality in training this, as I think it's the opposite problem that people have in transitioning?

Eyes move to target & the gun follows.  If you try to move the gun with your eyes, you will overrun targets or be incredibly slow. 

Your eyes can move faster than your hands can move the gun.  

Edited by mlmiller1
Added sentence

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 9:24 PM, mlmiller1 said:

Eyes move to target & the gun follows.  If you try to move the gun with your eyes, you will overrun targets or be incredibly slow. 

Try this^

move your eyes first and you’ll probably notice that you are stopping the gun on the target rather than overrunning it. 

There are several worthwhile drills to help acquire this skill. Might check some out and give them a try.

Very helpful at the beginning of your practice and at the end to help ingrain the training.

When I actually make the effort to practice I find this helps...

I use BT enabled ear pro and have a metronome app on my phone. Starting at 100bpm, work on doubles+transitions so shots are fired on the beat. Pretty easy at that pace to get all alphas and all "in time". 

then bump up to 110-115 bpm and repeat until that is all alphas, smooth and "in time"

Repeat bumping up the bpm. Once you start going off the rails, back down and work at the last good pace. Master that, then increase the bpm a little bit. Keep working on that. 

I start at targets about 5-7 yds, 1 ft apart. You can move targets farther back, farther apart etc and you can learn your speed for various conditions as you progress. But firing on the beats with minimum number of beats during the transition and getting alphas helped me a bunch. Eyes can move within 1-2 beats, gun in a few more. 

Set up two targets roughly 5yrs apart to start.  Aim at one target, but focus on a quarter size spot on the other target.  Use a timer on delay (assuming you're training alone) When the beep goes off, transition your pistol from the first target to the spot where you are shooting and fire. Do this at 7yards to start, so it isn't too difficult.  What you're doing here is breaking down the transition to build a specific skill; (1) keeping your target focus on that specific spot, as you move the gun from the initial target, (2) developing the visual skill to perceive the dot coming in with your peripheral vision onto the spot you're focusing on, and (3) sending the round at the right tie without over-confirmation.

As you improve, widen the distance between targets. After a few reps, do a full transition in which you fire on the first target then transition to the second. Pay close attention to ensure you're leading with your eyes, but also focusing hard on a specific spot on the second target.  You won't become well versed in one session, just add this drill into your practice and over time you'll develop the visual skill and timing.

Have fun!

14 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

It shouldn't since there should only be .20 or so transition time depending on the distance between the targets.  

Also my thought and in application. But in one of Stoeger’s books he said to grip the gun very firmly only during firing shots. And He emphasized that. Then in one of my recent dryfire sessions in a wide (~90*) transition, i felt my grip loosened or relaxed a bit in between the targets. And I wondered if this was what he meant. 

8 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Also my thought and in application. But in one of Stoeger’s books he said to grip the gun very firmly only during firing shots. And He emphasized that. Then in one of my recent dryfire sessions in a wide (~90*) transition, i felt my grip loosened or relaxed a bit in between the targets. And I wondered if this was what he meant. 

I don't think I could think fast enough to do it during a flat footed transition.  My guess is he is talking about between arrays. 

On 7/10/2023 at 2:11 PM, broadside72 said:

When I actually make the effort to practice I find this helps...

I use BT enabled ear pro and have a metronome app on my phone. Starting at 100bpm, work on doubles+transitions so shots are fired on the beat. Pretty easy at that pace to get all alphas and all "in time". 

then bump up to 110-115 bpm and repeat until that is all alphas, smooth and "in time"

Repeat bumping up the bpm. Once you start going off the rails, back down and work at the last good pace. Master that, then increase the bpm a little bit. Keep working on that. 

I start at targets about 5-7 yds, 1 ft apart. You can move targets farther back, farther apart etc and you can learn your speed for various conditions as you progress. But firing on the beats with minimum number of beats during the transition and getting alphas helped me a bunch. Eyes can move within 1-2 beats, gun in a few more. 

Those are more than .5 second splits. Turn it up to 300bpm at least

42 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Those are more than .5 second splits. Turn it up to 300bpm at least

for sure. 100 bpm is a warm-up pace. especially if you are learning how to move eyes before the gun while moving the gun fast and not leaving early.  Then ramp up the speeds as you master a given pace. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 5:02 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

Hi cykapath, I suggest to take a look at the video below, especially at timestamp 12:00 on transitions. More of my videos, as well as great third party content in different playlists.

Very useful !

• 4 months later...

your hand eye coordination is likely really good, but now it's the technique that must be applied.  Get your eyes to lead and pop/snap to the center of the next target.  Take a walk through and place little visual landmarks on the center of each target.  Only focus on that spot as the acceptable landing/aiming zone.  Watch as your eyes snap to it with intense focus and your gun will meet it.  Now be patient and let the gun get there.  Cheers

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 8:24 PM, mlmiller1 said:

this!