Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Armory Saint Victor 9mm PCC

The cynic in me says Colt mags because it was cheaper and or easier in some step of material acquisition or manufacture. Rather than superior function and ergos. I know the dedicated Rock River and CMMG 9mm ARs I had long time ago used Colt mags, so maybe there is some institutional knowledge about making dedicated 9mm guns with the Colt versus the Glock mags....

Good price point. I'd be tempted.

Edited by rowdyb

I bet they're not using Glock mags because they're Springfield. If I was another major company I probably wouldn't want to use Glock mags in any of my stuff either. And I bet since they have a deal with duramag for the 2011 mags,  duramag is building the Colt mags for them as well. When they came out with the 35 round XDM mag, I thought maybe they would build a carbine using those, but Colt mags probably make more sense

Edited by RJH
17 minutes ago, wingland said:

Assume this would qualify as a Pistol Caliber Carbine for PCC matches, correct? 

Well, it is a Carbine that shoots a pistol caliber so I'm pretty comfortable saying, yes.

AKA DuraMag

Edited by GigG
2 hours ago, gunshrink said:

Don't know if there are extensions with the Colt mags either.

https://taylorfreelancestore.com/colt-smg-tavor/

Interesting note on TF's page about them.

Colt was among the first to create a 9mm AR-15, and used their Colt Submachinegun magazines. The mags work well, and come from a dozen different manufacturers. We've tried to make our extensions work with all the major types. In all cases the retention screw should end up on the BACK of the magazine.

Edited by GigG

Well I bought one, not sure how soon I'll be able to shoot it, weather in my area is going to be in the flat nasty range for a while. I've never tried PCC so will more than like try it next fall, plus that will give me a chance to play with it and figure out sights and any other things to put on it. The SMG colt mags don't bother me, yes I'm a Glock guy, but the double stack, double feed SMG has been around a long time and the Metalform mag from Springfield are 32 bucks, not much more than 33 round Glock mags in my area. My hope is Springfield didn't rush this out and it will run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 8:34 PM, floater said:

Well I bought one, not sure how soon I'll be able to shoot it, weather in my area is going to be in the flat nasty range for a while. I've never tried PCC so will more than like try it next fall, plus that will give me a chance to play with it and figure out sights and any other things to put on it. The SMG colt mags don't bother me, yes I'm a Glock guy, but the double stack, double feed SMG has been around a long time and the Metalform mag from Springfield are 32 bucks, not much more than 33 round Glock mags in my area. My hope is Springfield didn't rush this out and it will run.

Please keep us updated on how it runs, I’m thinking of picking one up myself. 

18 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Probably using a mag block on a standard AR lower they were already set up to forge.  I've got a little 5.5" suppressed 9mm AR than runs Colt mags.  As long as I use the black follower Mecgar mags, it runs like a top.

No, it's a true PCC lower. Factory Mags are Metalform, from what I could find metalform has from day one made the mags for the Colt. 

It'd have been cool if they made it with a roller delayed operating system on a standard PCC lower (Colt or Glock mags) and side charging upper. $2,000.00 MSRP for the whole gun, $1,500.00 for the upper.

Call it the SA5, they'd sell a million of them the first year.

It got up to 30 degrees last weekend!! Got out and ran a few mags. Just need to say this is the first PCC I've shot. 1 more recoil than I  hoped for, not bad but it is a little heavy.

Not one hick up, ran fine, going to try to get out this weekend, but weather sucks!!!!

9 hours ago, floater said:

It got up to 30 degrees last weekend!! Got out and ran a few mags. Just need to say this is the first PCC I've shot. 1 more recoil than I  hoped for, not bad but it is a little heavy.

Not one hick up, ran fine, going to try to get out this weekend, but weather sucks!!!!

Those heavy BCGs and blowback design = a pretty good thump.  

25 minutes ago, dfwmiket said:

The Blitzkrieg AR15 9mm Hydraulic Buffer - HD is a cheap and easy way to tame some of that blowback recoil. I now have one in all 5 of my PCCs and they make a world of difference. 

-Mike

I'll be looking into that, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, 8stack1 said:

I have not had a 9mm pcc that uses colt mags in a long time,I would imagine they will be more expensive than the glock mags of a million different makers.

I have the Alex Pro 9mm and love it but thinking about the Saint just because.

Colt 32 round mags cost about the same as Glock big sticks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was able to mess around and put 300 rounds through it Sunday, mostly just shooting 8 to 10 inch plates at 25 to 50 yards. Runs like a top, shot mostly reloads that ran 136ish in a X5, then some fed 130 PCC lipstick rounds. Seems to function great.