Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Grouping

Ted Murphy

12 hours ago, Ted Murphy said:

Thats how it grouped at 20yds with my 9mm minor  load (coated bullet)

i am capable of much better groups than that 

factory Federal 115 gr jacketed grouped about the same. 

Since all my brass has been run through a Glock, I wanted to start with fresh brass. I had purchased 2000 rounds of Federal 115 grain, idea being i shoot them over the winter then reload the brass for the spring. But that is pretty darn sad, and a waste of ammo to continue firing perfectly good factory ammo through that gun.  

1764EDCD-8094-4AE5-94B8-E83C6102B437.jpeg

TM:

First, I agree with the guys that the bore is oversize for a 9mm and is a .357.  

I do note something though.  Your bullet holes are concentric and I would have expected some yaw or pitch to show up on the target via oblong holes given an oversize bore.

So, before you ditch the blaster, let me suggest two things.

First, check the security of the sights.  If you are using a dot sight, remove it and put the irons on.  Dot sights, even the better ones, can fail and are not easy to troubleshoot.  

Second, try some .358 coated bullets and if the blaster shoots to your standards, then make your decisions.

I have shot .358 coated bullets out of my PCC which really is 9mm, and never really had any issues with loading or function.  I did notice a sharper noise and a bit sharper recoil so will stick with .355 bullets for the PCC.

GG

Just my opinion here.

GG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, revoman said:

I will give you $750 and I will even pay shipping. With a revolver that shoots so terrible I will help you out and relieve you of your burden and make sure no one else gets this terrible revolver. I hope you let the buyer know before hand how this revolver does not shoot well and only patterns like a shotgun. I feel that you were misled when you purchased the revolver thinking that the barrel was .355, all cylinders throats reamed to same size, forcing cone reamed and cut and crown cut perfectly. 
But before you sell to me I would try some of the suggestions put forward here such as jacketed .355 bullets, .358 bullets or making sure cap is not interfering with the exit of the bullet. If not my offer stands. Just a revolver guy trying to help out. 

🏻🇺🇸🦅😁

Ha. Already got an offer for $1,400

i am mostly just annoyed it wont shoot factory ammo as  i wanted to shoot it at a few matches on the few days off I have until spring.  My work/travel schedule will not find me behind a reloading press until march. Had i bought a 627, i could be shooting my old IDPA ammo  (or even factory white box) now. 

Edited by Ted Murphy

47 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

TM:

First, I agree with the guys that the bore is oversize for a 9mm and is a .357.  

I do note something though.  Your bullet holes are concentric and I would have expected some yaw or pitch to show up on the target via oblong holes given an oversize bore.

So, before you ditch the blaster, let me suggest two things.

First, check the security of the sights.  If you are using a dot sight, remove it and put the irons on.  Dot sights, even the better ones, can fail and are not easy to troubleshoot.  

Second, try some .358 coated bullets and if the blaster shoots to your standards, then make your decisions.

I have shot .358 coated bullets out of my PCC which really is 9mm, and never really had any issues with loading or function.  I did notice a sharper noise and a bit sharper recoil so will stick with .355 bullets for the PCC.

GG

Just my opinion here.

GG

Fair. Im using irons but Ill check the screws on the sights. 

38 minutes ago, Ted Murphy said:

Ha. Already got an offer for $1,400

i am mostly just annoyed it wont shoot factory ammo as  i wanted to shoot it at a few matches on the few days off I have until spring.  My work/travel schedule will not find me behind a reloading press until march. Had i bought a 627, i could be shooting my old IDPA ammo  (or even factory white box) now. 

Ya know I was just yanking your chain 😂😂😂. Best of luck on the sale

Dean

🏻🇺🇸🦅

2 hours ago, revoman said:

Ya know I was just yanking your chain 😂😂😂. Best of luck on the sale

Dean

🏻🇺🇸🦅

Wife reminded me i have a second 9mm toolhead that her dad gave me a few months ago. She “suggested” I try working up a load before getting rid of it.  She seems to think I will have sellers remorse. 

Edited by Ted Murphy

8 minutes ago, Ted Murphy said:

Wife reminded me i have a second 9mm toolhead that her dad gave me a few months ago. She “suggested” I try working up a load before getting rid of it.  She seems to think I will have sellers remorse. 

You will. I think the appeal of the 929 is the fallacy that a semi-auto shooter thinks that they can just use the ammo they’ve already got or made. The first thing is to be consistent with brass choice. This will dictate the moons you need. Next is primers. Federal will allow you to lighten the action. Revolver competition is a lot more than just get one and go. But once you have it dialed in, it’s very addictive.

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

That’s about right from what I’m seeing. Crazy scarce so folks are asking above MSRP for a used one.

Look at the one in the classifieds all of it for $1700. Sell yours as fast as you can for $1400. 

image.jpeg.7ca320cec2ba1ad541397fcb61093c8f.jpeg

20 hours ago, Ted Murphy said:

🤣🤣🤣sounds like she's a very wise partner.  Probably attuned to you better than yourself.  You got very lucky.

51 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

You guys think the 929 is being sold at inflated prices?

Look at some of the used Pythons.  I don't think I saw one under $2K.

No way. 

GG

Look at the last 2 Ruger Super GP100 that have sold on Gun Broker 1 went for $1950 and the other for $2427. Almost makes me want to sell mine. 😁

I still haven’t met anyone who has paid 1400 for a 929. Or anywhere close to that for a Ruger. 

Now I could almost understand not knowing better and someone making an impulse buy at a shop for that, but not online.

5 hours ago, MWP said:

I still haven’t met anyone who has paid 1400 for a 929. Or anywhere close to that for a Ruger. 

Now I could almost understand not knowing better and someone making an impulse buy at a shop for that, but not online.

If I can get $2500 for my Ruger Super GP100 it would be gone like pecan ( old Texas saying)✌🏻🇺🇸😁

3A151EE1-3E18-42D6-BB73-8906C1468B9E.thumb.png.c4019883fa3ded77c8b8a91189615bae.png

7C68B321-0838-4C76-B57C-AD58654C4A73.png

5 hours ago, MWP said:

I still haven’t met anyone who has paid 1400 for a 929.

You have, actually—the one I traded you at Nationals was $1380 or something.

Every Ruger DA revolver that isn't a plain jane blued .357 GP100 or stainless SP101 is going for wildly inflated prices right now, though.

Edited by Fishbreath

I'm aware. I do want another of the .357s, since I'm set on mounting a dot and porting my .357 once my second 9mm comes in, but I don't think I want it $2500 bad. :P

If you want to get that kind of money for it, you should probably move it soon, though. I've heard direct from some Ruger sources that fresh supply is coming over the winter.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I'm aware. I do want another of the .357s, since I'm set on mounting a dot and porting my .357 once my second 9mm comes in, but I don't think I want it $2500 bad. :P

If you want to get that kind of money for it, you should probably move it soon, though. I've heard direct from some Ruger sources that fresh supply is coming over the winter.

I am just kidding on selling as I used to have 2 of the original 6 1-2” 627’s and one looks like this. The other one I let go for $2500 and wish I never had. But Lady Luck shined upon me and I found another and I didn’t pay $2500 I only paid $1000. So money ahead and I wasn’t even looking when I ran across it  There were only 300 made and I know for sure there is only 299 left . But if someone was to offer $2500 it would be gone ✌🏻🇺🇸😁3E534FE9-C758-48F8-BD40-6C2281CE4F6D.jpeg.8b4a7b26d1c489b2f007a9984583c5f3.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

You have, actually—the one I traded you at Nationals was $1380 or something.

Every Ruger DA revolver that isn't a plain jane blued .357 GP100 or stainless SP101 is going for wildly inflated prices right now, though.

Well that’s good to know. I see them for sale but hadn’t spoken with anyone yet who actually paid over 1100 for a 929. I know for a fact Ruger owes me a couple 8 shot guns, I just can’t recall which. I’ll hit you up once they come in for trade if you want? 

And those gunbroker adds say sold on them for 19xx and 24xx, but plenty of times have I called shops that listed guns on GB and offered a credit card for significantly less than they were asking in there and then they got marked on GB as sold. Only until you talk to someone who paid that for one can it be a legitimate number. 

I did not put the whole GB auction on just the final bid. I agree that you can call and buy outright and then auction or sale is closed. But both of these were legitimate auctions that went the full auction and each had over 30 bids. ✌🏻🇺🇸🦅