Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Permitted and prohibited aftermarket parts and rule update

yekcoh

So the latest rule I believe is 2019 edition.

This Seems almost outdated considering it was done pre pandemic. We are passing 22' so it has been 3 full years.

When do they plan to update the rule?

In PRD and PDO division...

What is their justification for allowing essentially all aftermarket parts (trigger, grip panel, mags, etc.) except the barrel?

My gun has horrible accuracy out the box and an aftermarket match barrel fixes that problem.

Why is aftermarket barrel such a big deal? 

3 minutes ago, driver8M3 said:

Are you talking about USPSA?

21.3 Aftermarket slides and barrels

SLIDES: You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide.

BARRELS: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel.

Since there is no PDO in USPSA, I am gonna guess he is talking IPSC.

From the IPSC Rules...

Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

17.1  Aftermarket magazines are permitted, subject to 16.2 above.

17.2 Aftermarket open sights (see Rule 5.1.3.1) are permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.

17.3 Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3a) are permitted. However, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

3 hours ago, GigG said:

From the IPSC Rules...

Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

17.1  Aftermarket magazines are permitted, subject to 16.2 above.

17.2 Aftermarket open sights (see Rule 5.1.3.1) are permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.

17.3 Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3a) are permitted. However, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

Right.. They allow aftermarket grip panels but not barrels? I'm asking what basis are they using to prohibit aftermarket barrels but not a bunch of other items...

Aftermarket mags. I mean... This rule is super retarded

Edited by yekcoh

Because when Production came in to being you could'nt change anything from OEM, there are now some 'minor' changes allowed ie aftermarket mags, grip panels, sights and triggers/ springs that have been allowed. It will always stay majority factory as IPSC believe opening up like USPSA has creates a $$$ war. True or not? Not my call to make.  

There will most likely be a new rulebook after any changes are ratified at the GA this month.

Edited by terrydoc

I might note that the Rest of the World (RTW) tends to look at USPSA Production and all we allow to be modified then wonder just how we can still call it "Production" with a straight face.  It all depends on which side of the proverbial fence one stands and in which direction one is looking ...

6 hours ago, yekcoh said:

So the latest rule I believe is 2019 edition.

This Seems almost outdated considering it was done pre pandemic. We are passing 22' so it has been 3 full years.

When do they plan to update the rule?

If I recall, IPSC only issues new rule-books after a General Assembly that is held in conjunction with a World Shoot. As the WS from 2020 was delayed due to the COVID hysteria they have not had a chance to update it.

I have not seen the agenda for the next GA, to be held in Thailand (though I assume that USPSA has a copy), the Production-Optics and Production-Optics Light will most certainly be voted on as they are both provisional at this time. I suspect that the Light version will be merged with the main ProdOptics as I'm not sure it has proven to be very popular.

I think they may be voting on allowing the Alien pistol into Production.

Hi Brit.

I think you'll find the Alien already is on the list, (wonder how that happened) And unfortunately I think youre probably right about PDOL, makes you wonder why they even split them in the first place. Maybe it needs a bit more time to bed in with the less than ideal situation with COVID, it's as popular as PDO is here in Australia but we're just a small sample.  

6 hours ago, yekcoh said:

Right.. They allow aftermarket grip panels but not barrels? I'm asking what basis are they using to prohibit aftermarket barrels but not a bunch of other items...

Oh. So what you really want to know what they are thinking. Right...

Ask IPSC.

Otherwise, this is just tilting at windmills and asking others to commiserate. 

10 hours ago, yekcoh said:

They don't need a reason.  Why is a touchdown 6 points and not 5?  Why can't you cork a bat or use an aluminum bat in MLB?

Same reasons.

10 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I might note that the Rest of the World (RTW) tends to look at USPSA Production and all we allow to be modified then wonder just how we can still call it "Production" with a straight face.  It all depends on which side of the proverbial fence one stands and in which direction one is looking ...

Not just the rest of the world, a lot of people here wonder what is production about production these days. 

On 11/4/2022 at 5:08 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Not just the rest of the world, a lot of people here wonder what is production about production these days. 

I mean, Im all for production if they dont allow any aftermarket but it’s the f*#king inconsistent rule that bothers me. It’s like they were retarded when they wrote the rule. 

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

I mean, Im all for production if they dont allow any aftermarket but it’s the f*#king inconsistent rule that bothers me. It’s like they were retarded when they wrote the rule. 

Easy on the “retarded” comments! Shows a real lack of understanding of the modern world