Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight keeps on shearing off - Why?

jimbullet

I had two front sights shear off within just one year on the same spot and in both instances, I was not shooting any ports nor have knocked it in any barrier whatsoever. They simply flew away while normal course/ IPSC shooting.

Both Brazos front sight appear to have sheared in the same place. Has anyone experienced this or can anyone shed light on why it is happening? Both were Brazos thin front sights and I am beginning to think that the metallurgy might be weak. The round count since I had a gunsmith install the second one (currently on the pistol) is less than 2k rounds major loads.

I like the sight picture of the Brazos front sight but because it has happened twice, I am now hesitating and thought to ask around for your experiences or any professional gunsmith here that could share their views would be appreciated.

IMG_8140.jpeg

I have read about this happening. I have Brazos sights on two of my 2011's and never had this happen and I have had them for several years. One is the original that was put on an Edge he built long time ago.

Is your fiber rod breaking? Or the post shearing off the base?

edit: looking closer at the pics, it looks like the front part of the post is snapping off at the back of the dovetail. Weird. 

I’ve had thin sights (custom? Came on a Benny Hill) where the entire post comes off the dovetail base. 

Edited by TheSandMan491

10 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

Have you talked to Brazos about it?

Nothing in their warranty suggest that they would replace it, besides if this keeps happening, I wouldn't want to have it on my pistol. I'm just trying to understand if it is a fitting failure or product failure. Dont want to have a third time.

18 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

During shooting ? Or caught on a pant leg and snapped off ?

I lost a cz sight  that way. 

Its during shooting for both times. It just flew off and not even hitting any barricade or anything. My recent one was when I was in the middle of the stage (first part it was there and then the next thing, its gone). The stages that I was shooting when it flew off didn't have any ports or whatsoever that I needed to stick the pistol through.  

Also it was way clear my pants as the start was standing as normal and my pants were fairly tight (not loose) that it couldn't obstruct under a normal standing draw.

Edited by jimbullet

22 hours ago, davsco said:

maybe needs to be thinned just a little before drifting it in, too much stress on the sight base?

i def would contact brazos though, they've been very responsive in my limited experience.

Interesting...this got me thinking which could then mean its a fitting issue

13 hours ago, superlifer03 said:

I had the same issue with a .090 Dawson front sight with two front sights.  They special built me one that was shorter front to back and I don't have any problems now.  

Did they give an explanation as to why it is happening? 

They explained the way those sights are made, the front and rear of the sight that hang over the slide should have space between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide.  Unlocking and feeding caused weight transfer and it broke at the weakest point.  Dave Dawson was real helpful and made it right.  This only happened on a super short .140 height .090 width sight.  If it was taller, I probably would have had enough meat there to keep it from breaking.  I ended up with a sight that was just a tad shorter front and rear so I got a little less fiber optic exposure.  Hope this explains it.  

I broke 8.... EIGHT..... Brazos front sights (on 3 different Limited guns) in the exact same place as you pictured. Their front sight design has too much mass forward of the front dove tail. I switched to Dawson front sights and never broke any of those.

Edited by CHA-LEE

18 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Do you use a race holster, where the front sight might be knocking against anything you walk up to, like a table, barrel or whatever?

I use a Guga Ribas so there isn't anything snagging the front sight.

20 hours ago, superlifer03 said:

They explained the way those sights are made, the front and rear of the sight that hang over the slide should have space between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide.  Unlocking and feeding caused weight transfer and it broke at the weakest point.  Dave Dawson was real helpful and made it right.  This only happened on a super short .140 height .090 width sight.  If it was taller, I probably would have had enough meat there to keep it from breaking.  I ended up with a sight that was just a tad shorter front and rear so I got a little less fiber optic exposure.  Hope this explains it.  

Thanks for explaining that. I liked the Brazo with its bright fibre optic. My sights are tall at 180 but I was contemplating on getting a shorter Dawson unit you mentioned that yours broke due to having less metal on it.

Just now, jimbullet said:

Thanks for explaining that. I liked the Brazo with its bright fibre optic. My sights are tall at 180 but I was contemplating on getting a shorter Dawson unit you mentioned that yours broke due to having less metal on it.

The installation of the front sight definitely had space between the bottom of sight and top of the slide and because the sight was long, it slightly overhanded on the DVC slide cut/ port.