Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Carry Optics - Light? yes or no? If a light what holster? How about back up sights?

midvalleyshooter

I have been trying out Carry Optics with a G17, Brownells slide and a SRO. I have been enjoying it. I'm thinking some weight out front might help. Who all here uses a light and if you do what light holster combo do you use?

On a side not does anyone use the Brownells slide, SRO and back up sights? If so what sights do you use?

Thanks in advance

My Glock CO setups both have lights (TLR-1). I don’t really notice a big difference with or without.  It’s more something you just get used to as far as timing either way.

I use a Trex Arms Ragnarok holster for them.

I have a custom milled slide one one and a Zev for the other. Neither of them have backup sights and both are setup for SRO’s. 

Hi I have the TLR -7, I think. I shoot better with a light and won’t shoot without it. I had  a local holster maker make a kydex holster for it. He’s made me 3 holsters. He does great work and I recommend him highly. PM me if you’d like his contact info. You won’t be disappointed. 

On 10/18/2022 at 8:28 AM, Edwards30 said:

My Glock CO setups both have lights (TLR-1). I don’t really notice a big difference with or without.  It’s more something you just get used to as far as timing either way.

I use a Trex Arms Ragnarok holster for them.

I have a custom milled slide one one and a Zev for the other. Neither of them have backup sights and both are setup for SRO’s. 

How is the Trex holster to draw from? I have heard the pistol sticks on some of these light bearing type holsters unless you pull it at just the right angle?

On 10/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, dapribek said:

Hi I have the TLR -7, I think. I shoot better with a light and won’t shoot without it. I had  a local holster maker make a kydex holster for it. He’s made me 3 holsters. He does great work and I recommend him highly. PM me if you’d like his contact info. You won’t be disappointed. 

Can you post a picture of the holster?

On 10/18/2022 at 11:24 AM, midvalleyshooter said:

I have been trying out Carry Optics with a G17, Brownells slide and a SRO. I have been enjoying it. I'm thinking some weight out front might help. Who all here uses a light and if you do what light holster combo do you use?

On a side not does anyone use the Brownells slide, SRO and back up sights? If so what sights do you use?

Thanks in advance

Or maybe just grip the gun harder

No to iron sights.

12 hours ago, midvalleyshooter said:

How is the Trex holster to draw from? I have heard the pistol sticks on some of these light bearing type holsters unless you pull it at just the right angle?

I’ve never experienced that. Plenty of people use the Ragnarok for work and competition. 

My TLR-1 HL is only 4 ounces, but since it is right out front I like the balance.

Also I notice most that have posted don't use any backup sights. I am fine picking up the dot freestyle and strong handed. My issue came up during a weak hand only string. I completely lost the dot and ended up aiming through the tube for a few shots.

I'm sure in time my left hand will learn to find the dot. But I'm thinking the backup sights would be a crutch to get me by until that time. My question about the sights is which ones and how tall should I get? I'm thinking as low as possible but still visible at the bottom of the red dot window. I see this called lower 1/5 sights??? Is that correct?

Does Dawson have something that will work? I will call tomorrow and find out.

Edited by midvalleyshooter

I use a Surefire x300 with Dawson sights. The sights are lower 1/5th or 1/4th or something. My splits are a hair faster with the light. They don’t make a sight that says lower whatever, I took my own measurements to get the perfect height. My comp gun is a replica of my carry gun almost so I like having the two as basically back ups. 

Edited by Twilk73

10 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, no light and no sights for me. I do use a tungsten guide rod on my G17. Thanks, Eric

This is what I do too. I use the Carver thick tungsten rod which required me to switch to the Wolff recoil springs. I also got the non-MOS version so I could Mill the slide to mount the dot all the way back. I prefer it set up this way. 

On my 34 I’ve been using the Glock store tungsten guide rod for some added weight upfront. 
The thug plug is nice for some grip weight. Shooting sports innovation has a nice grip plug that’s a little heavier tho. 

with the same ammo and 15# spring I don’t really notice that much difference between my shadow 2 and g34. The only difference I think is that the shadow is a little more stable on longer shots on days my grip is being lazy. 

This is what I ended up with and I like it. My off hand index and also index in awkward positions is a work in progress. So these sights allow me to quickly index the pistol if I lose the dot.

I spoke to Dawson Tech Support and they assisted me in picking out the sights I wanted. They are very low in the SRO window but work great for me.

IMG_3666.jpg

Edited by midvalleyshooter