Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open/Production Uspsa Nationals - 2006

My end synopsis of the stage descriptions? The match has nothing special in it from a skills standpoint. 366 rounds. A couple of unloaded table starts. A couple of "hands on Xs" starts. Some rearward movement. Lots of "shoot under" stuff. We won't get a feel for difficulty of the targets (distance, no-shoots or hardcover not in the descriptions, etc) until we get there next month. It has the appearance of a fairly wide open match, possibly fairly short range, too... It looks fairly balanced, too, between short, medium, and long courses (at least, for a USPSA match :) ).

If it's anything like the Limited Nats, expect the right amount of distance, no-shoots and hard cover to make it a challenging match. Expect to be a bit off balance, because of the size of the shooting area or position of the walls/targets. Expect to walk up to the stage and be confronted with a multitude of possible ways to shoot it.

That's what the Limited match was like.

FUN :D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The squad lists are up, I'm on squad five trailing the Super Squad each day (Squad 6)

Any guesses who's going to come out on top this year:

BRAGG, EMANUEL

CRAIG, JAMIE

JARRETT, TODD

KIRSCH, SAUL

MICHEL JR., MAX J.

RACAZA, JJ

TILLEY, CHRIS

VIDANES, JOJO C

VOIGT, MICHAEL

WALLGREN, HENNING

I didn't see Robbie's name listed, is he shooting this match ?

Silly question time...

Does anyone have a map/driving directions to the USSA range ?

I searched their web-site but could not find anything. I need detailed instructions on how to get there, I am directionally challenged and without a good map I'm liable to end up in Kentucky (wherever the heck that is) :wacko:

Silly question time...

Does anyone have a map/driving directions to the USSA range ?

I searched their web-site but could not find anything. I need detailed instructions on how to get there, I am directionally challenged and without a good map I'm liable to end up in Kentucky (wherever the heck that is) :wacko:

Paul,

go to the Nationals page. Click on the Maps and Directions Tab at the top. Clicking through the three maps, should give you the info you require......

:D:P The New Phone Book is heer ! The New Phone Book is heer! :D

Ok call me a JERK

B) Squad 14 :unsure:

<_< can I get a FTDR at an IPSC shoot? :o

I was pretty sure you were kidding. :P

There is no equivalent to an IDPA FTDR in USPSA (or IPSC). There are procedurals, course descriptions, and safety rules you must follow, but there is no requirement to use cover, do "tactical" reloads, wear concealment or other "spirit of the game" penalties.

At this level of competition the courses are designed in such a way that you pretty much have a starting position and then you shoot them as you see them. Don't break the 180, don't step over fault lines to shoot and keep your finger off the trigger to reload or when moving. I don't see anything unusual in the stage diagrams (like "The Plank" at LimNats) but if there's something different the CRO will cover that at Walkthrough.

If you have any more specific questions fire away, but if you are concerned about the rules you still have time to download them and read them. http://www.uspsa.org/rules/Handgun_15th_2004.pdf The rules forum here at BEnos is also an excellent resource.

B)

:unsure:

<_< can I get a FTDR at an IPSC shoot? :o

I was pretty sure you were kidding. :P

There is no equivalent to an IDPA FTDR in USPSA (or IPSC). There are procedurals, course descriptions, and safety rules you must follow, but there is no requirement to use cover, do "tactical" reloads, wear concealment or other "spirit of the game" penalties.

At this level of competition the courses are designed in such a way that you pretty much have a starting position and then you shoot them as you see them. Don't break the 180, don't step over fault lines to shoot and keep your finger off the trigger to reload or when moving. I don't see anything unusual in the stage diagrams (like "The Plank" at LimNats) but if there's something different the CRO will cover that at Walkthrough.

B)

Thanks... you are very kind. But :huh: I keep hearing '" IF USPSA were to give a FTDR ...Jamie would be the first to get one. :o so yes I was kind of kidding ;)

Sorry I just keep acting like my self.

JF

You just never know this time of year in OK. This week, we've had temps up to 95 with lows in the 60's, very unusual. Fall is a great time of year in the Tulsa area though, temps can drop as low as high 30's in the evenings but will probably be more like high 40's low 50's in the mornings to highs in the 70's unless that cool front does push thru. What is bad is a light rain driven by north winds, that could get a little uncomfortable.

We're going to freeze our butts off!!

From what I understand, there has been some parting of ways. I didn't get all the details (and didn't want them).

There's just no possible way to have that many type-A people in one place - and have the kind of money at stake they do - and not have conflicts. I would go, shoot, have fun, and judge the facility based on its merits and not scuttlebutt.

From what I understand, there has been some parting of ways. I didn't get all the details (and didn't want them).

There's just no possible way to have that many type-A people in one place - and have the kind of money at stake they do - and not have conflicts. I would go, shoot, have fun, and judge the facility based on its merits and not scuttlebutt.

Thank you, Eric. An excellent idea and post.

Here are some facts: The original match director did have some differences of opinion from the very start. He's a good guy, with excellent match building skills, but he decided that he could not work within the framework provided (producing a Nationals is a group effort, and vastly different from doing a club or section match). The fact that he lived some distance away (still in Oklahoma, but not that close) added to the problems. So, he resigned. There was no real enmity involved. Kelly Raglin, the match director, has been working very hard, with guidance from some experienced Nationals people, to produce the match. He's done an excellent job, given the fact that last year at this time there was nothing but an open piece of land there. He is still learning about some things, but he's willing to take advice. I'm certain that we'll have an excellent match there. It looks like everything is coming together nicely. At this time, the stages are set, tents and services are on order, and USPSA HQ people are travelling to Tulsa to begin setting up for vendors and registration. There will be a large tent for food services, catered by a local caterer who has an excellent reputation. (I don't know if he does pork chop sandwiches, though.) :D We also have 2 40x60 tents for vendors on order, so bring cash. :P

We have had some staff drop out of the match, all due to work/time off problems. That's understandable and not unusual, especially since this is the third National championship of the year. Not everyone is willing to burn all their vacation time on working matches, and we do have to pay the bills. This is not causing any major heartburn, however. We have enough staff to cover the stages, and enough talented, professional people to make the match an enjoyable and safe one.

Hope this helps, and I hope to see some of you at the match. It should be a good one.

Troy

RM, Open Nationals

Here is a little information that may be useful.

There will be a sight-in/function fire range available Wednesday morning, once registration starts. Chronograph will also be offering courtesy chrono testing prior to the start of the match. (You can test your ammo and it doesn't count for the match.)

If you are using the match ammo program (Precision Delta Ammo), you can pick that up at Shooter Services, but only after you register. You will have to sign a declaration and surrender 8 rounds of the ammo for a comparison sample at the time you pick up the ammo. Don't go to get your ammo until after you register--we'll need a sticker. If more than one competitor is using ammo from the same shipment, you must declare that, and everyone must sign a declaration and surrender the 8 round comparison sample.

There will be no registration on Tuesday, and the range is closed to competitors. Registration, and the range, open to competitors on Wednesday morning, October 11, at 0900. This is the official start time for registration. We'll try to have it open sooner than that, and most probably will, but I can't promise anything until I confer with the stats folks. Please note that we will not be making any squad changes at registration.

Registration should go relatively quickly, if the Limited match is any indication. You can help speed the process by moving through as quickly as possible, and then moving on to inspect the stages. At PASA, about half the competitors went to look at the stages, the other half registered. Keep in mind, though, that if you haven't registered by the close of registration, which will be at noon, you'll probably lose your slot. If there are people in line that haven't registered, we'll work through everyone and then close registration. Everything you need should be in your shooter bag, which will be handed to you at registration. Score sheet stickers will be in there--score sheets will be on the stages.

There is a staff meeting at 0730 on Wednesday morning. If you want to sign up for the waiting list, it pays to arrive early and get your name on it. I'll try to have a list available by 0700 or so. First come, first served on the waiting list, and it may be after noon before you know if you got in or not.

Shooter's meeting near the registration tent at 1230. Competition begins at 1300. Everyone will shoot on Wednesday.

The ranges have been sodded. Rock has been put down on the parking/driving areas, but I would not expect to be able to drive a vehicle to each stage. They aren't spread out very much, so the walking should not be bad.

Vendors, food, and registration will be in tents on the grounds. I understand the registration/dining tent is climate controlled, and there will be an abundance of port-a-potties on the range. There will be several under construction areas marked "off-limits". Please don't enter these areas: the range owner is quite serious about this.

You can find more information on the Nationals web page.

Troy

How about shade and / or tables on the ranges?

Yes to both. Tom and crew have ordered beaucoup shade covers, and tables as well.

Water will be available, too. I don't know if it will be in coolers or bottled, but we'll have it.

I hope it's not falling from the sky. :lol:

Troy

Troy,

keep your kilt nailed down, Scout is bringing his cold nose again...... :lol:

See ya there buddy, Trapr

:D:D

I really like that dog, just not that much! Thanks for the warning, buddy. :P

Troy

Troy,

keep your kilt nailed down, Scout is bringing his cold nose again...... :lol:

See ya there buddy, Trapr

:D:D

I really like that dog, just not that much! Thanks for the warning, buddy. :P

Troy

Registration, and the range, open to competitors on Wednesday morning, October 11, at 0900.

Troy - not to be pedantic. Is this an update to the schedule posted here: http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/000095.html - which says the range will open at 0800?? Also, if the range doesn't open until 0800 or 0900, how will folks access the wait list at 0700?? :)

Thanks, man! Look forward to seeing you in a couple of days...

Edited by XRe