Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt hold open on PSA 9mm carbine

Bought a PSA GEN4 8" 9MM 1/10 GX M-LOK MOE EPT SHOCKWAVE PISTOL without realizing the importance of having the bolt hold open feature. Trying to use the carbine for competition and it’s very cumbersome without this feature. My question is, is there a way to get that one part and install it or do I need an entire receiver. If I need a receiver how do I know which is compatible? Mine uses glock magazines

Please explain why you want that feature. I actualy disabled it(removed the wire)  on my NFA uppers because all it ever did is get in the way when cleaning the gun. I never needed it in a match! I run 40 round (actually 42 but I  can only reliably count rows in cartridge boxes these days 🙂 ) mags and that covers all 32 round stages. I use pistol mags for classifiers and standards but always reload on a closed bolt. 

20 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I’m using it for shooting matches but sometimes I loose count of the spent rounds and loose time between figuring out there’s not a bad primer and changing mags. 

Glock 31rd magazine with a + 10 extension is standard fare for shooting a Glock PCC. More than enough rounds to finish a stage at most type of competitions.  No mag changes needed. 

32 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I’m using it for shooting matches but sometimes I loose count of the spent rounds and loose time between figuring out there’s not a bad primer and changing mags. 

PCC is all about big mags. With that in mind, don't count "spent rounds" and count make-up shots. Say a stage is 32 rounds and you have 40+1 at the start, you only have to count to 8 before you reload 😉 . And if you need that many makeup rounds, you may need to look at other issues 😉 

On 10/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, Chapo said:

Bought a PSA GEN4 8" 9MM 1/10 GX M-LOK MOE EPT SHOCKWAVE PISTOL without realizing the importance of having the bolt hold open feature. Trying to use the carbine for competition and it’s very cumbersome without this feature. My question is, is there a way to get that one part and install it or do I need an entire receiver. If I need a receiver how do I know which is compatible? Mine uses glock magazines

Bolt hold open is virtually useless in every aspect, especially competition lol. Buy 40rd or greater mags. 

Taylorfreelance and MBX mag extensions that get to 55-60rds. 

Edited by Orlandoech

The reason I won't run LRBHO:  On PCC's, the bolt REALLY slams into the Bolt Catch when it lifts (especially on "stroked" guns, which is what I build).  It gets a good running start on the Catch and when it snaps off, it is a guessing game as to which piece of aluminum it will imbed in.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:36 AM, Chapo said:

Bought a PSA GEN4 8" 9MM 1/10 GX M-LOK MOE EPT SHOCKWAVE PISTOL without realizing the importance of having the bolt hold open feature. Trying to use the carbine for competition

What competition are you trying to use it in? Unless you paper it as an SBR it can't be used in USPSA or IDPA.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:04 PM, Gregg K said:

What competition are you trying to use it in? Unless you paper it as an SBR it can't be used in USPSA or IDPA.

It’s practically required in the IDPA Classifier and stages that start with downloaded magazines. 

9 hours ago, mitommy said:

It’s practically required in the IDPA Classifier and stages that start with downloaded magazines. 

but it's also limited to the number of shots...so you know you have to reload anyway...

On 10/12/2022 at 9:49 AM, racerba said:

but it's also limited to the number of shots...so you know you have to reload anyway...

IMHO, Even though you know you have to reload, it’s faster to reload & simply hit the bolt release than to run the charging handle. At least it is for me. 

Also, that’s the way I run my AR rifle, so operating the gun is the same for the AR style platform & not dependent on PCC vs Rifle. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/15/2022 at 1:55 AM, mitommy said:

IMHO, Even though you know you have to reload, it’s faster to reload & simply hit the bolt release than to run the charging handle. At least it is for me. 

Also, that’s the way I run my AR rifle, so operating the gun is the same for the AR style platform & not dependent on PCC vs Rifle. 

I have the same experience as this and was wondering if anyone knew of an upper that has a LRBHO that would play nice with the PSA lower. We also have these "warm up stages" where reload is required and not having LRBHO really kills my time. Even if I had a side-charging upper, bolt release is still much faster after slamming the magazine in. Any PSA owners here who can chime in? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Seanzky said:

I have the same experience as this and was wondering if anyone knew of an upper that has a LRBHO that would play nice with the PSA lower. We also have these "warm up stages" where reload is required and not having LRBHO really kills my time. Even if I had a side-charging upper, bolt release is still much faster after slamming the magazine in. Any PSA owners here who can chime in? Thanks!

Dont ever let the gun dry when you reload and you dont have to do either. 

If you want bolt hold though then you need to get a different receiver either upper or lower. 

The aero epc upper has LRBHO in it, if you insist on having it. 

It's not about running it dry. The stage REQUIRES a reload with only 6 to start with, for example. I can't cheat, put 7 in there so that I don't have to chamber a round after reload. As much as possible, I don't want to change out the lower and have to buy another magwell. I posted on this thread hoping someone out there who has a PSA AR-9 and has changed out the upper to one with LRBHO can chime in. I did look at the Aero lower and upper pair. For ~$215, it's not bad. I just hate the thought of having to buy another magwell and then do all the work to change out the lower, too.

14 minutes ago, Seanzky said:

It's not about running it dry. The stage REQUIRES a reload with only 6 to start with, for example. I can't cheat, put 7 in there so that I don't have to chamber a round after reload. As much as possible, I don't want to change out the lower and have to buy another magwell. I posted on this thread hoping someone out there who has a PSA AR-9 and has changed out the upper to one with LRBHO can chime in. I did look at the Aero lower and upper pair. For ~$215, it's not bad. I just hate the thought of having to buy another magwell and then do all the work to change out the lower, too.

What organization is or competition is making you do that type of reload?

Let me try again. If you want LRBHO then put the aero epc upper receiver on your PSA lower. I havent done it but I have seen others do it with success.

Edited by Z-Chaos-Factor
1 hour ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

What organization is or competition is making you do that type of reload?

Let me try again. If you want LRBHO then put the aero epc upper receiver on your PSA lower. I havent done it but I have seen others do it with success.

I just might go that route if others can corroborate the compatibility. As for the game I compete with a PCC in, it's IDPA. Certain scenarios call for a downgrade to your first mag as someone stated above.

Have an Aero upper and lower EPC.  Toolcraft bolt.  Aero PCC buffer with an AR10 spring.  Last round does not hold the bolt open.  I think I can trim a coil or two until it locks back.  The PCC so far is just for fun and not for competition.  Any other areas to look at?

Otherwise, the gun runs surprisingly well with factory Fiocci 115g and my hand loaded 147 grain RN bullets.

Edited by SnipTheDog
11 hours ago, Seanzky said:

I have a PSA PX9 Gen 2 lower. The upper I run is Aero EPC9 w/ LRBHO. I also run TacCom ESSB bolt and Taccom adjustable short stroke buffer. The LRBHO works 99% IF I use Glock Gen 3 mags. Other mags are not consistent. I contacted Aero and they confirmed that Gen 3 mags are the best option. 

some people have suggested bending the part that actuates the LRBHO but I have not even started messing with that. I have an adequate amount of Gen 3 mags. 

Edited by mitommy
7 hours ago, mitommy said:

I have a PSA PX9 Gen 2 lower. The upper I run is Aero EPC9 w/ LRBHO. I also run TacCom ESSB bolt and Taccom adjustable short stroke buffer. The LRBHO works 99% IF I use Glock Gen 3 mags. Other mags are not consistent. I contacted Aero and they confirmed that Gen 3 mags are the best option. 

some people have suggested bending the part that actuates the LRBHO but I have not even started messing with that. I have an adequate amount of Gen 3 mags. 

Thanks for confirming the EPC-9 upper works with the PSA lower with no issues!