Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for my next powder

tk4

I'm looking for powder suggestions for 9mm.  I run bear creek coated 135s(actually weigh 140gr).  My wish list for the powder is, low smoke with the coated bullets, accurate, clean, low recoil(reasonably fast powder), and I would like to be able to make at least 130 pf from a 4.7 inch barrel.  

I have been using CSB1, but can't get it anymore.

I am considering Ramshot competition, American select, Accurate no 2, WST, WSF. Silhouette.

What does everyone like for a heavier coated bullets?

1 hour ago, tk4 said:

I'm looking for powder suggestions for 9mm.

Been shooting 147s coated for years. The answer to your question actually should be followed up with the question, what can you obtain?

During the powder drought I used up my stock pile of Clean Shot, currently using Sport Pistol that I also stock up on in the past. Recently purchased 4 lbs of N320 and some 244. I've also loaded with Titegroup in the past.

My overall favorite powder for coated 9mm bullets is Sport Pistol, next in line is Clean Shot. However,  in the end what matters to me is what I can get. It's not difficult to develop a load for 9mm minor that shoots well in my CZ. 

Probably not much help to you.

VV N320 has been my absolutely go to powder for MANY years; especially when using heavier bullets!  Very consistent in results and meters like a charm through any of my Dillon powder measures!

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/vihtavuori-n320/

Some complain about the "initial" costs; but when you consider the cost per round it usually works out to only a couple pennies difference.  My second choice would be VV N330!

Have heard a lot of good things about Sport Pistol but I've not had the opportunity to use it.

👍

I used Silhouette for 9 minor during the Obama shortages because that was all I could find.

It works but it is dirty when loaded light. It is much better suited for major PF loads.

It leaves a bit of gunk and yellow specks behind when 9 minor.

4 hours ago, 1911in9mm said:

Alliant Sport Pistol, Vihtavuori N320, and Clean Shot should be on the short list as well.   WSF and Silhouette are a little slow for minor but would work.  

In another thread it says Clean Shot and Accurate no 2 are the same powder.  Is this correct?

The company that made improved  Acurate #2  stopped making it under that name for whatever reason.. Maybe Hodgdon buying accurates names ?
So basically was just picked up and marketed here with a different name.  Look up Lovex Do32

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

The company that made improved  Acurate #2  stopped making it under that name for whatever reason.. Maybe Hodgdon buying accurates names ?
So basically was just picked up and marketed here with a different name.  Look up Lovex Do32

So is the current Accurate #2 "un-improved"?

I keep hearing good things about ramshot comp, but it constantly is out of stock, randomly in stock, and then months or years out of stock again. I'm reluctant to invest in a new powder that I probably can't get again. 

I love wst powder. They pulled the 9mm data years ago, but technically it was on the books... 4.0gr works for 124's, but the case is pretty full. It meters great and its very light colored and easy to see. Since there's no current official data, its less popular and often in stock and easy to find. If you're comfortable with kind of going in blind against the manufacturer's advice, its a good powder.

I got clean shot for $22/lb, and it keeps getting great reviews for competition so I'm looking forward to using a bunch of that in the future too. 

4 hours ago, tk4 said:

In another thread it says Clean Shot and Accurate no 2 are the same powder.  Is this correct?

They’re awfully similar, although probably not the chemically exact same powders.  Consider them close enough for government work.  
WST is another good to great minor powder.  But by all accounts not a very forgiving one.  That’s the reason data for it was mostly pulled and the manufacturer no longer recommends it in metallic uses.  Goes from oh wow this is great to KB very quickly.  It doesn’t stretch well at all.  Where as N320 although fast almost requires wanton disregard for numbers to elicit a KB.  Probably in large part to its single base nature.  

2 hours ago, ddc said:

So is the current Accurate #2 "un-improved"?

No it was AC # 2 then it was #2 improved. The improved came awhile ago and they eventually dropped the improved from the bottles.

For 9mm minor I prefer Aliant e3.  I also bought Sport Pistol, and like it very much.  You use a bit more than e3 for the same PF.  Going forward I'll use whichever of the two I can get.  SP is really good with coated bullets, and very slightly better with those than e3 IMO.

BTW, e3 works superbly in 40sw minor and major and 45 minor.  Prefer a slower powder for 45 major.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, tk4 said:

I'm looking for powder suggestions for 9mm.  I run bear creek coated 135s(actually weigh 140gr).  My wish list for the powder is, low smoke with the coated bullets, accurate, clean, low recoil(reasonably fast powder), and I would like to be able to make at least 130 pf from a 4.7 inch barrel.  

I have been using CSB1, but can't get it anymore.

I am considering Ramshot competition, American select, Accurate no 2, WST, WSF. Silhouette.

What does everyone like for a heavier coated bullets?

I bought tons of CSB5 powder when it was available and I hear it is Rio Shotshells that sold it in the first place and they can't sell anymore. I liked it but am down to the last couple barrels. A friend at the gun range really likes N-340 so I gave it a try and now I am trying to buy a large supply of it as I like it. I use more but it seems cleaner burning and in pistol loads I am getting higher velocities and less recoil. I was at 4.5 with CSB5 and I am now at 5 of N340.