Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm a simple man

konkapot

Don't shoot much IDPA, but mobility issues have sent me to a couple matches. 

A shoot target. (Or threat or tango or whatever they called it.) Must be engaged with 3 rounds. No problem. 

Behind the shoot target is a small popper. Ok; retarded but so far so good. 

Behind the popper is a no shoot. So, presumably I'm going to hammer that popper with all three rounds. Or, my other 2 rounds will be aimed away from where that popper might be. 

Behind that no shoot is a big popper.

It gets dumber but stopping right here, I'm not seeing the tactical/defensive aspect of this array. I asked some of the match staff and they were not super helpful. 

This popper........if you hit it.........activated a GT that came to rest with only an exposed 20 yd head shot. If you didn't hit it, this GT would not be activated, leaving you a 20 yd body target. 

Any IDPA fellas here? Help me understand wtf this array was.  Match was a train wreck from an organizational and safety standpoint, so not going to mention the club, mostly puzzling over this array. 

Edited by konkapot

steel should only require one shot, 
Should have been an angle to shoot the first paper without hitting anything else,,, The first popper is hero or zero,,, hit it with one shot,,, you get hit, miss and you hit the no shoot... Pretty common setup.
Next take the 20 yard body shot, then find an angle for the last popper. Unless there was some kinda stage procedure... Thats just a guess.
In  reality, Id just move to the bottom of the shooting order,, see what others do

2 hours ago, konkapot said:

Any IDPA fellas here? Help me understand wtf this array was.  Match was a train wreck from an organizational and safety standpoint, so not going to mention the club, mostly puzzling over this array. 

None of us are going to be able to tell you what your club was trying to set up. I guess the the main question is what sort of shooting area(s) were you presented with? Was the intent to have you move laterally so you weren't potentially shooting into something you didn't want to?

I've seen elements of this used at big matches but never this combination (which sounds... stupid). Ie. a non-scoring popper behind a threat target that activates some sort of mover, or non-threats that are partially obscured by threats so you had to angle your shots carefully to not get a penalty. Even in the first example, though, the popper was a) non-scoring and b) positioned directly behind the down-zero. I've never seen a stage that has you blindly firing at a bunch of stacked targets, not even when vision barriers are used.

9 minutes ago, konkapot said:

This was a static position. They way they set the entire match up there were lots of shoot through issues but this was not one of them.

So was the idea that you shoot through the first target and pray for hits? I guess I'm not understanding.

That is not a legal IDPA setup. 

Just write it off as a silly gimmick and move on. 

i shot an outlaw match today that had some nonsensical stuff not seen in regulation IDPA or USPSA, actually pretty difficult. But it got me out of the house.  

3 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

i shot an outlaw match today that had some nonsensical stuff not seen in regulation IDPA or USPSA, actually pretty difficult. But it got me out of the house.  

They're fun once in a while. Once a year (usually December), I run my IDPA match under "outlaw rules" so I can use illegal (aka "stupid") targets.

13 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

What rules makes it illegal?  I looked earlier but I couldn't find anything. 

I didn't check the match admin book 🤔

• 4 months later...