Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optic Glock?

Twilk73

I can’t seem to find the answer if I’m picking up a Glock for carry optics do I still want a g34 or can I get a g17. I’ve never shoot a g34 so I really don’t know if they’re better aside from the longer sight radius. 

I’m looking for any advantage I can get and I’m thinking the smaller slide might give me less reciprocating mass but I don’t know how that affects things.

I have used both in CO.  Not really enough of a difference that I would purchase one over the other.

If you already have a 17, you are good to go.  If you don't have either, maybe get a 34 because you can load slightly lighter due to the longer barrel. Also worth noting, if you bounce around in divisions, the 34 is better in production due to the sight radius.

IMHO  having both 34 and 17  gen 5   id go with the 34, do the trigger, add some tungsten shot/putty in the backstrap , tungsten guide rod ,13 lb spring, nice optic and let er rip  

Edited by Sinister4

It's going to be a marginal difference but between my 17 and 34 I went with the 34. The longer sight radius obviously isnt helpful here but I felt the gun tracked flatter and for what its worth, the velocity will be higher. Allowing you to run less powder to achieve the same PF. 

13 hours ago, Raz22582 said:

I feel like the the difference in the 2 guns are very marginal. I have a gen 5 34 and a gen 5 17 set up identical. In my mind I feel like the 17 is faster

I agree with Raz, I shot a Gen3 34 in Production for almost 20 years and loved it. Now I’m in CO and have similar Gen5 17 & 34.  The only difference is the 34 is an MOS and the 17 has been milled. In my head I think the 17 is faster, and I trust it more because I’ve sheared screws twice on the mos plates. 

If you already have one, you can have the slide milled, or just get another slide. 

if you are buying new, and it’s just for range/competition I would skip the MOS and get the slide milled all the way back with no rear sight notch. 

9 minutes ago, Twilk73 said:

Thanks for the information. Next stop is checking out the threads on upgrades and which to do first. 

trigger...
if you get the 17, then minimal - get the 3.5# connector (I believe the 34 already has this)
if you get the 34, get the non-extended slide lock (standard)...

On 8/18/2022 at 10:43 AM, racerba said:

trigger...
if you get the 17, then minimal - get the 3.5# connector (I believe the 34 already has this)
if you get the 34, get the non-extended slide lock (standard)...

Why do you recommend the non-extended slide lock for the 34 versus the one it comes with?

1 minute ago, galt11 said:

Why do you recommend the non-extended slide lock for the 34 versus the one it comes with?

Depending on your grip it's really easy to lock the slide while firing.

21 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Depending on your grip it's really easy to lock the slide while firing.

Yup. Agreed. 

I ditched the extendo on my G34.5s and went to the standard.

I don’t seem to have as much “lock open” issues with the Gen5, likely due to the lack of finger grooves… but Gen3/4 I do this all day long. Irritating 

12 hours ago, galt11 said:

like Sarge said - depends on your grip.  But I have seen problems with inadvertent locking the slide during firing with rounds in the mag.  It never happens during practice though...

2 hours ago, racerba said:

like Sarge said - depends on your grip.  But I have seen problems with inadvertent locking the slide during firing with rounds in the mag.  It never happens during practice though...

I've always replaced the extended slide lock for a gen 3 or similar on any Glock that comes with the extended version. I have always had issues with pushing the extended slide lock up mid mag and locking the slide back. I don't have the same issue with the non extended version. 

Main difference will be grip length 19 guns don’t fit me well. But a 19x/45 I can run pretty fast. If the 19 fits  your hand good you will run it good... a good grip beats slide/ barrel length imo 

I have a 17.5 and a 34.5 both set up the same way - DPP on a C&H Precision plate, Timney triggers, 13 pound recoil springs.  I played with guide rods and decided that I shoot the 17 with a steel guide rod and 13 pound ISMI the best.  If talking iron sights, 34 hands down.  

My guns is a late model, and don't have the little cut out on the front o the grip,  fits the hand better. I also use the medium Beavertail and a little longer threaded barrel and 507c. I am sure it is faster then me, but I imagine I still will get a gen 5 34. It's a weakness.

20220508_145513.jpg.08f4f42d89fc9437c0edd690c14b3326.jpg

I've shot a 34.5, 17.5 and 19.5 in matches. I ended up shooting the 17 more than the others. The 19 for me is the most accurate of the three, but the snappier one, granted it's stock and my EDC. I  like the way the 17 transitions better than the 34, ran both stainless rod 13#, 3.5 connector, 4.5# striker spring, CH brass speed feed, and have played with a TRL1-HL, like it on the 17, and a delta point 6moa on a CH plate cause the stock plates blow. Best way to figure it out is get both or all three. I'm coming back to Glock after a year long affair with a 320 X5 legion, something about glock, if you figure out how to shoot them it's hard to leave them for to long.