Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does Venom Custom stack up against Atlas?

lrdchaos

In my search for a Doublestack 9mm I’ve run across venom custom guns.  I spoke with Don, the owner, and he seemed extremely knowledgeable and willing to help.  My question is how do his guns stack up against other firearms like atlas or Nighthawk for range and play use?

Edited by lrdchaos

Haven’t been too impressed with the newer Atlas guns. If I was in the market, I’d either be ordering a Venom or a Rafferty gun. 

Can’t speak much on Nighthawks since all my experience has been with single stacks, but they were nice. Might be a little faster to acquire since they’ve got a bunch of stocking dealers. 

I'd take a Venom any day over an Atlas.  I own 2 Carne open guns and when I decided to have guns built it was between Carne and Venom.  Mark is local to me so he got my business.  Don will build you the gun that you want and not sell you a gun that he wants to build like Atlas.

I mean the venom is a custom. Built how you want it.  The atlas is more or less take it as it comes and if you want to change it you have to do it.  

if I hadn’t gotten a deal on my limcat I was looking at venom customs for my open gun 

I have not handled Venom guns, so I have no comment.  I have handled many Atlas gun, and shoot with 5 or 6 people who own them.  At one time Atlas was a reasonable deal.  No more.  Now you pay full custom pricing for what is no more than a semi-custom gun.  I'd MUCH rather have a Brazos semi-custom or a Warwick Tactical semi-custom for around $3500 each.   Wait for either is days.

If you are looking for a full custom gun where you can specify how it looks and handles, etc.,  then by all means contact Brazos, Venom, D2, etc.

If you are looking for an Open gun, forget Atlas.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

I have not handled Venom guns, so I have no comment.  I have handled many Atlas gun, and shoot with 5 or 6 people who own them.  At one time Atlas was a reasonable deal.  No more.  Now you pay full custom pricing for what is no more than a semi-custom gun.  I'd MUCH rather have a Brazos semi-custom or a Warwick Tactical semi-custom for around $3500 each.   Wait for either is days.

If you are looking for a full custom gun where you can specify how it looks and handles, etc.,  then by all means contact Brazos, Venom, D2, etc.

If you are looking for an Open gun, forget Atlas.

valid points.  Thank you!  The more I look at venom or the semi-custom builders the more I’m drawn to them.

I can't speak anything about either gun but I will say the atlas magazines are hands down the best 2011 mag there is. 

STI mags, meh, they kinda work and the cost isn't that bad. 

Mbx, yeah f*#k that trash and f*#k the dude who makes them. 

SV, hit or miss for the price. Some last forever and some split just like mbx. 

Get atlas mags with grams guts and don't look back! 

5 hours ago, louu said:

I can't speak anything about either gun but I will say the atlas magazines are hands down the best 2011 mag there is. 

Interesting take on the mags. I’ve always considered the mbx mag to be the standard. The atlas mags are getting great feedback though. 

I have a Venom Cuztom 1911. A few friends have various Atlas guns. The Venom you can tell was hand built and the person building it cares about the shooter. He does lots of little touches that Atlas doesn't do. Stuff like hand blending beavertail, magwell, thumb safetys ect.... He will also do anything you want with in reason. I don't mean if you want some crazy serrations He wouldn't do it but he has built guns for a long time and knows what will hold up and what won't. He is super easy to get ahold of amd is in contact the entire time he is doing your gun. This is the 1911 he built me. Due to some delays in coating he also sent me 5 tripp 40 cal mags. 

Being left handed and having had a few 1911s I shoot uspsa with already I have a couple things I want that most people don't. For example, serrations on the right side of the frame, amd a S&A magwell with arched MSH. I also have a particular way I like the left side thumb safety cut so it doesn't hit my knuckle on my thumb. Don killed it with this one for me. 

IMG_5372.jpg

I've never held a Venom Custom, but they look great and get great feedback on here.  I currently own 3 Atlas Gunworks pistols which have all been 100% out of the box and look amazing.  Fit and finish is right there with SV, you simply don't have many options on color/cuts.  Which does speed up the lead times.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:24 AM, louu said:

You have an interesting take on MBX.... I've never had any issue with him ever. The one mag issue I had he took care of over an email. Got me the correct dimensions I needed for feed lips and it was back to working 100%. 

Atlas new mags have had great feedback but are still not really proven. Have they even been around for an entire season yet? Durability is still unknown. And at least in the 2 170s I have you can only get 28 rounds. The MABX 170s I have you can get 29 rounds and reload at 29 rounds.