Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm brass with small flash holes...recapping options?

CurlyShuffle

Hello,

I've been reloading a batch of 9mm lately with mixed headstamp brass and noticed that the Norma stamped brass has a flash hole that is too small for the Dillon sizing/decapping die.  Any options for recapping those really small brass?

8 minutes ago, CurlyShuffle said:

Hello,

I've been reloading a batch of 9mm lately with mixed headstamp brass and noticed that the Norma stamped brass has a flash hole that is too small for the Dillon sizing/decapping die.  Any options for recapping those really small brass?

Easiest fix is LEE dies. The pin is tapered and works on everything. If that not an option then sort that brass out of the mix

1 hour ago, CurlyShuffle said:

Hello,

I use Lee dies for years and there are very few primer pockets they can't take on

I have been finding a lot of Norma brass lately and it was a pain on my Dillon's, never broke pins but the pins would get stuck in the brass and pulled out. I tried a couple of things then ended up roughing up the top of the pin with vicegrips and it stopped pulling them out.

These are the straight decapping pins. I have other Dillon dies that used the button head pins and had a huge problem with Speer 357Sig brass with small flash holes and Dillon sent me a bunch of smaller pins for them (think they were made by RCBS).

I use an FW Arms decapper with their .053" decapping pin. It's still a little difficult on the Norma brass but it gets them out. This decapper is universal so it works on all caliber pistol brass. I'm really pleased with it.

Edited by Speedwagon

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2022 at 11:44 PM, Sarge said:

Easiest fix is LEE dies. The pin is tapered and works on everything. If that not an option then sort that brass out of the mix

Agreed. I just went through a ton of Norma. The LEE die worked well on my 650. I felt them as it was a little tougher to deprime but I never had an issue. That Lee die may be the best change I made to my 650 I ever made.

I shoot a lot of 357 SIG, and have this problem with Speer brass. I ended up punching the old primers out with my RCBS decapping die, then drilling the flash hole out with my flash hole deburrer. It's a pretty quick, permanent solution for me. For 9mm? I'd probably end up tossing them into the scrap bucket.