Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Reviews

HCH

Are they available, since Remington ceased to exist? I would think used ones are, but then again are parts available?

Don't know if OP has one or is looking to get one.

Edited by mpom

4 hours ago, mpom said:

Are they available, since Remington ceased to exist? I would think used ones are, but then again are parts available?

Don't know if OP has one or is looking to get one.

Found a good deal on a used one locally. It’s had the port opened up and a Nordic tube. 

I've got VM with the RCI x-rail.  It always ran well for me (configured for open with a stupid large muzzle break and a ginormous trijicon reflex optic...).  comfortable and easy to shoot well, even with low brass gamer loads. haven't tried to get service parts for it recently...  not super widespread adoption on the VM, so a bit concerned that parts may eventually become harder to get, but figure that'll be several years down the line (hopefully...)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of the a couple of years ago. They were used and abused in 3 gun for years prior and have been 100% reliable for me with all loads. They came with a ton of spare parts but I also learned that most benelli m4 parts are directly compatible with the versa max. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2022 at 2:56 AM, MJinPA said:

I bought a pair of the a couple of years ago. They were used and abused in 3 gun for years prior and have been 100% reliable for me with all loads. They came with a ton of spare parts but I also learned that most benelli m4 parts are directly compatible with the versa max. 

Do you know any specific parts that work or don't from the M4 on the Versamax?

A coworker has one that he said worked with 2 3/4" and 3" shells, but didn't torch off 3.5" shells. I'm thinking that the barrel may just need to be cleaned, but I'm curious about changing the hammer and action springs.

On 10/31/2022 at 4:01 PM, Harpo said:

Do you know any specific parts that work or don't from the M4 on the Versamax?

A coworker has one that he said worked with 2 3/4" and 3" shells, but didn't torch off 3.5" shells. I'm thinking that the barrel may just need to be cleaned, but I'm curious about changing the hammer and action springs.

I’m not 100% sure but I think hammer and trigger are. There’s a list out there somewhere. Probably here…

Did the 3.5” shells chamber but not go bang? Or go bang but not cycle?

It sounds like it chambered but didn't fire.
Finally got hands on it and it feels like the recoil spring is completely worn out, so I have a Benelli one on the way.
Also ordered a hammer spring, but after feeling the action, I'm thinking it might have chambered, but not enough to lock up and fire.

Is it chambered for 3 1/2 shells mine says 2 3/4 or 3 inch. I’ve been very happy with mine. I did have Jeff C rums weld me a lifter for it to replace the barbecue fork it came with but that’s the only thing I changed.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:39 AM, Harpo said:

It sounds like it chambered but didn't fire.
Finally got hands on it and it feels like the recoil spring is completely worn out, so I have a Benelli one on the way.
Also ordered a hammer spring, but after feeling the action, I'm thinking it might have chambered, but not enough to lock up and fire.

Wolff +25% recoil spring for Benelli fit ans fixed the issue - Once I was able to get it apart I pulled the rusty spring , cleaned the mud off of the "buffer", dropped in the new spring, and it ran 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" shells just fine.

Benelli M2 fire control parts work in the Verasmax. I’ve been running a Benelli hammer since the Remington hammer broke. No issues. I’ve been told you can swap the complete trigger groups but I don’t have a Benelli one to try. 

The V3 Versa-Max is not the same as a Versa-Max. The V3 doesn't take any Benelli parts that I know of and in my opinion is one of the best shotguns ever made. Now I don't know about longevity like the Benelli, but Remington finally got one right!!!...... Just in time to fold! I was going to switch over, but now they seem to be unobtainium! 

8 hours ago, kurtm said:

The V3 Versa-Max is not the same as a Versa-Max. The V3 doesn't take any Benelli parts that I know of and in my opinion is one of the best shotguns ever made. Now I don't know about longevity like the Benelli, but Remington finally got one right!!!...... Just in time to fold! I was going to switch over, but now they seem to be unobtainium! 

I've got nothing to add to the discussion, but this is the first time in months I've logged into the Enos forum- and I'm pleased to see you are still around, Kurt.  I was reminiscing of the old Ozark and Benning matches from more than a decade ago and how much I learned from you, Trapr, and a bunch of other guys I've not seen in years.  

On 11/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, kurtm said:

Hi Kurt, hope you're well.

Keep an eye out for them. I emailed Remington and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting RemArms, LLC.

Our focus is to get the model 870, model 700, model 1100, V3, and Versa Max firearms back to regular production levels.  RemArms will continue to evaluate opportunities to bring back other previously produced firearms models as manufacturing capability and capacity improves."

Still Lovin my V3. It has none of the quirks my Benelli(s) had.

It will be 5 less than a V8??? Or 3 more than just a V???? 😁

Pull the trigger group and if it looks like an 1100 type set up it's a V3, or more like a 1301 than an 1100.

If the trigger group looks like a Benelli it's a regular Versa-Max.

I really don't recall if it's marked any different or not. Buddy of mine has one(V3) but it's been a couple of years since I played with it, but I remember at the time being VERY impressed with it and it hasn't let him down yet!!! 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Boomstick303 said:

How do you know if you have a V3 or not?

Under the ejection port directly right of the serial number it will be marked "Remington V3"

Additionally it is chambered for up to 3" shells and so marked on the barrel (Hence the V3 model designation). The Versa Max is chambered 3-1/2" and marked accordingly. The slightly smaller and lighter size of the V3 is what attracted me to the V3 over the larger Versa max.