Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm once-fired brass, cleaned & polished (not processed) - best place to buy?

davsco

I've given up buying once-fired cleaned and polished brass.  Too many issues.  For the last couple years I've been buying once-fired, same head stamp, cleaned, sized, decaped,  primer pocket swaged, roll sized and polished brass from Kenny's Brass.  Zero issues with the last 12k.  Just load them in the case feeder and they sail through the press slick as a whistle.  6k left, so I'll be ordering more soon.  If I recall you have your choice of six or so good head stamps.  I order 3k or 6k at a time when I open the last box of 3k.  That way I can afford to wait for the HS I want, assuming it isn't in stock.

Kenneth Marx

5788 Garden Valley Rd

Newburgh, IN 47630

(812) 457-2690

kennethallanmarx@yahoo.com

16 hours ago, davsco said:

thanks for that zzt!  do you still run them thru your sizing die or do you pull that?

I pull the sizing die.  It doesn't do anything to roll sized brass, so why leave it in.  Kenny polishes his brass in a vibratory machine with a little car wax added to the media.  Unlike liquid cleaned brass, it does not stick on the expander/powder funnel.  He is now at $170 for 3k shipped.  I'm seriously considering using his brass for minor also.  It sure beats cleaning and processing yourself.  Plus, I don't have a swager.  There are an astonishing number of crimped primer cases in range pickup brass.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:48 PM, zzt said:

I've given up buying once-fired cleaned and polished brass.  Too many issues.  For the last couple years I've been buying once-fired, same head stamp, cleaned, sized, decaped,  primer pocket swaged, roll sized and polished brass from Kenny's Brass.  Zero issues with the last 12k.  Just load them in the case feeder and they sail through the press slick as a whistle.  6k left, so I'll be ordering more soon.  If I recall you have your choice of six or so good head stamps.  I order 3k or 6k at a time when I open the last box of 3k.  That way I can afford to wait for the HS I want, assuming it isn't in stock.

Kenneth Marx

5788 Garden Valley Rd

Newburgh, IN 47630

(812) 457-2690

kennethallanmarx@yahoo.com

Does he have a website?

so just to fill in my history...

got brass from millworks a year or so ago.  nice and shiny, no issues.  seems like they really jumped in price thus my reaching out for other options.

then from bisonbrass.  brass was shiny and clean, BUT had a bunch of gravel in it and (after tapping all that out) had problems loading primers in some of the brass.  they gave me a small credit and said it must have missed a filtering section.

just placed and quickly got an order from u.s. reloading supply (6k for $194 shipped).  haven't opened the pkg yet.

just sent a check to toddks for an order of cleaned and processed.

will report on the last two shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Any updates?

i only got thru 100 of the us reloading supply but it looks pretty nice.  funny though i had a primer not fully seat on a piece of federal brass.  my other order is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which will also be a nice fast turnaround.

Any of the head stamps you get from Kenny's Brass are safe for major.  He culls out all the undesirable head stamps and sells them at a discount.  I prefer to load major on same head stamp brass, so a mixture, even of god HSs, does not appeal to me.

Even though my major load is barely above SAAMI max pressure, I prefer to play it safe.  YMMV.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, davsco said:

i only got thru 100 of the us reloading supply but it looks pretty nice.  funny though i had a primer not fully seat on a piece of federal brass.  my other order is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which will also be a nice fast turnaround.

well the us reloading supply went to crap.  busted four decapping pins and haven't even busted one in the past year with other brass.  fair amount of crimped primers also.  i have not yet contacted them to see what they say.

i switched back to my remaining supply of everglades cleaned and polished brass.  a few crimped primers but zero decapping rods broken.

bil is using everglades processed brass and had zero issues for the 500 rounds he did recently, so i went ahead and ordered some of that, on sale now, $125/2k shipped.