Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP 2011

cbrussell

I was thinking of building a 45ACP 2011 for Limited Division. (I already have a 40 S&W I shoot, but just thought I would like to try a 45 since I always liked the feel of a 200gr. loading. Too old and slow to worry about winning anything.😀

A few questions.

Would it be better to go with a conventional un-ramped barrel or go with a ramped barrel? Is the frame ramp the right angle for reliable feeding or would a ramped barrel be preferable. I am worried about the feeding of a ramped 45ACP barrel.

Are the 140mm 45ACP magazines reliable feeders? Any hi-capacity magazine issues for the 45 caliber?

what other issues might crop up with a 45ACP in a hi-cap format? 

I have a .45 2011 out of a local shop.

It has a plain barrel and is very finicky as to feeding.  

I have given up on  SWCs and stick to roundnose of suitable OAL, which is a bit shorter than usual.  

STI Gen 2 magazines are OK, Gen 1 are spotty but are at present working ok with fresh springs.

MBX are good with their extra strength springs.  Note that even their 141 only holds 18 .45s.

I wouldn't do it again, I was originally setting up an IDPA ESP in .45 but started shooting it in USPSA L10 because of "supply chain." 

I built a couple 45 2011's for pins to keep my pin gun the same size and feel as my open gun. I used w/n ramped barrels in both and run MBX mags. No issues what so ever with either of them once the chambers were reamed properly. I use 230gr moly coated round nose loaded to 1.250 and have no problems with feeding. 

Dave Dawson told me that the surface friction of the 45acp on the inside of the mag tubes slows the ammo column from moving up fast enough to ensure reliable feeding. He talked me out of buying anything larger than 40sw for reliability. 

I ignored him…and purchased a number of 2011s in 45…and had many problems with feeding. Not chambering…feeding with the slide overrunning the base of the round. Only reliable in shorter mags. 126mm only…and then still inconsistent. 

Not trying to start an argument…but…thought I’d throw that out for your consideration 

I have a very old frankengun with STI frame in 45 - runs without issue. Have a mix of SVI and STI mags. Fed mostly a diet of 200SWC. Not sure of availability of 2011 45ACP mags now?

Do the double stack plastic guns like Glocks and xdms etc seem to work okay with 45? If so that may be a way for the op to go. I thought about buying one of the plastic guns in 45, but haven't done it yet

I have shot a G21SF a bit and it did fine.

A friend's Xdm would not function with my light loads but he says it is fine with Major.  

I might have undertaken some spring tuning if they had not quit making the 5.25 Match in .45.  

I have a STI Eagle in 45acp that has run extremely well with light ESP loads--200gr lswc @ 127,000 pf for many years!!!  When I got it had some feed issues and sent the mags to Grham Eng for tuning and spring/follower replacement,,,,,,,that was about 12 years ago,,,have replaced the springs/followers a couple times since,,,,it is 100% reliable and really sweet with the light loads (12# recoil spring)!!!

Don't give up!!!

I agree that when they run, they are pretty great. I have a BUL SAS II in 45ACP, and it's a super-pleasant gun to shoot, even though it nominally weighs less than a 1911. While I know it's not exactly a great gun for USPSA, I imagine it's not giving up a lot in Limited 10 Major, and sometimes, you just need an excuse. :)

2 hours ago, midatlantic said:

FWIW the CZ 97 is a great .45 gun. With the CZC bushing it is amazingly accurate. Holds 10. And of course CZ just discontinued it. But if you want to shoot 45 get a used one. Best .45 pistol out there.

SAR K2 is a nice alternative for IDPA CDP usage. Only problem is not as much after-market support. There used to be a pretty decent smith who'd put fiber optic sights on them, convert them to SAO, and do a decent trigger job, but he's out of the game.