Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 that runs well on a factory ammo

YVK

I don't reload and unlikely to start doing so in a foreseeable future. Never owned a 2011 and wouldn't mind having one, if anything, just for the experience, or maybe for occasional break from CO, or periodic major power factor shooting (I do it from time to time with SS but don't like low cap). Everybody tells me that you have to load, long OAL and such, for 2011s. Anybody has experience of setting up a 2011 to run well with short-ish factory loads? If they run, do they run with longer ammo too or you just have to set it for one OAL?

I’ve owned 2 Bedell Custom 2011s in .40 caliber and although he recommended loading long, after a while I just reloaded the factory length so my one load would run in my Glock and his guns. No problems, very reliable. My buddy who also has a Bedell .40 2011 does the same thing with the same great results. Hope that helps. 

My 2011 will shoot factory .40 just fine, and almost all the rounds through it are my handloads that have an OAL slightly longer than factory, but that work in my other .40 pistols that are not XX11 platform guns. The long stuff is easier to make a soft feeling major load with some powders, but there's not a huge difference in performance. between the long stuff an the not so long stuff loaded to the same power factor. 

But living in a capacity limited state, I am also not using tuned mags with wafer thin followers. 

Other post came in while I was writing, and figured I'd add the source of mine as well... which is a gun built by gans guns back when he still did that. 

Edited by raz-0

2 minutes ago, yigal said:

all types of 2011 /1911 guns  in ours club work 100% with  9mm factory ammo. no problems.

9mm is a no brainer. Any builder having an issue with 9mm factory should seek other employment 

4 minutes ago, yigal said:

all types of 2011 /1911 guns  in ours club work 100% with  9mm factory ammo. no problems.

I didn't specifically state, but did imply by mentioning major pf, that I was interested in 40sw only. 

13 minutes ago, YVK said:

I didn't specifically state, but did imply by mentioning major pf, that I was interested in 40sw only. 

we have only few 2011 in .40.  cal  in club . i didn't saw  problems with them . but i can't be sure about this 100% 

my sti edge works great with factory 40 in the various varieties i've tried, and also atlanta arms regular length ammo, obviously not made any more but staccato makes an xl in .40.  

masterpiece arms makes a 2011 in .40.  i can't speak to that but just got one in their 9mm version and it's a pretty nice blaster.

I started reloading .40 for single stack with .40sw mags so my OAL is around 1.12, ie factory length. I could go longer as nothing I own needs the shorter OAL, but I haven't encountered feeding issues anywhere.

My Cheely 2011 also feeds them fine from Gen 1 STI mags. I don't think it's a tricky as people imply.

Edited by belus

Both of my 2011 40sw guns ran anything between 1.126" OAL and 1.180" OAL.  My CZ TS liked 1.126", so I had a LOT of that on hand.  Bullet types were SWC, round nose, truncated cone and JHP.  They also ran Win White Box ammo and Federal factory.

All my 2011's, 9, 40 & 45 run fine with factory ammo. I only load long for 9 Major but that's for a different reason, they run fine on factory ammo too if they are hot enough or I spring down. I do tune my magazines though. The only issue I've seen is recently my son was shooting his Staccato C2 and had a coupe of FTF's on factory ammo but when I showed him I slap my loaded magazines in my hand to seat the rounds to the rear he hasn't had a problem since, but then I didn't tune his mags so who knows.

I have 2 2011s made by Rock Island.😱 Both run great on whatever I feed them. I even have a 10mm barrel fitted to one just to carry out in the field for hogs. Oh, I can hear the gears grinding in some of your heads because I brought up THAT gun, but they run. One has at least 20K down the pipe since I started shooting it in limited 6 years ago and is smooth as butter. But the best part... I sold my two STI Edge .40s and got my other Rocky. I shot them better and they were way less finicky after a few hundred rounds break in.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:37 PM, donnyglock said:

9mm is a no brainer. Any builder having an issue with 9mm factory should seek other employment 

That's hilariously true, no hard rocket science behind 9mm

On 6/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, thh425 said:

That's hilariously true, no hard rocket science behind 9mm

But yet of the common 2011 chamberings it introduces the most problems with its short length and tapered case.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, FALAR said:

But yet of the common 2011 chamberings it introduces the most problems with its short length and tapered case.

I think you're confusing an issue unique to older open guns. When people where figuring out 9major it'd be common for the case to bounce off the optic mount back into the ejection port. It's part of why c-mores were mounted at 90 degrees for a while. But with modern smaller optics there's little need for a mount that overhangs or obscures the ejection port. Open or irons, a 9mm is pretty simple now.