Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 cerakoted brass Lok grips question...

fyaman43

Those of you that have cerakoted Lok brass grips...  Did it affect the texture/aggressiveness of the grips at all?  I really like the texture of the raw brass but am thinking of getting a cerakote job to bring the bling down just a bit.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, goshimu said:

I’d like to know if the black cerakote ones direct from lok retain the same aggressiveness too. Have sent an email but no reply as of yet.

It’s largely about who does the application.

Is there a link for those on the Lok site or do you have to call to order them? 

I didn’t even know they sold a cerakoted version. I just picked up a shadow 2 and honestly the bling bling of the brass doesn’t appeal to me. I might check out the cerakoted ones, I’ve heard the grips are worth it. 

I spray painted (can) mine black. Sure the coating will wear off rather quickly especially the high spots 

but I don't care. It's quick, inexpensive and easy to reapply. And it takes off the majority of the bling appearance. 

On 6/5/2022 at 10:35 PM, goshimu said:

It definitely can make a difference depending on who applies it. However I think it’s more in how the parts are prepared for the cerakote than the cerakote itself.

Correct it's all about the prep to ensure the material being applied sticks.  

9 hours ago, WaltK said:

I spray painted (can) mine black. Sure the coating will wear off rather quickly especially the high spots 

but I don't care. It's quick, inexpensive and easy to reapply. And it takes off the majority of the bling appearance. 

How did it impact grip & texture? I’m thinking about doing this too but don’t want to lose the bite of the grips. 

1 hour ago, MNshooter said:

How did it impact grip & texture? I’m thinking about doing this too but don’t want to lose the bite of the grips. 

Really not too bad. Heck if you don't care for it you can easily remove it. 

I noticed a local shooter recently that had black brass grips and asked him how he did it, he said he used birchwood casey aluminum black. I'm not sure how long ago he did it, I could see some brass color where it wore off a little on the high spots. I thought it looked good, worse case you could bead blast back to original.

3 hours ago, Bwenning said:

I noticed a local shooter recently that had black brass grips and asked him how he did it, he said he used birchwood casey aluminum black. I'm not sure how long ago he did it, I could see some brass color where it wore off a little on the high spots. I thought it looked good, worse case you could bead blast back to original.

You probably mean Birchwood Casey Brass Black. I've used it on two sets of brass grips. It ends up adding an "old penny" look to them. I applied it to the Czechmate grips in February.

Brass_Black.jpg

Edited by BRuss

That czechmate grip looks really good .

Small update. Lok did respond. The answer was no customers that have bought the black grips have complained about the aggressivess and 30 day return if don’t like them.

Does anyone here have the black grips? I shut wanna know if the feel the same as the raw brass before I order internationally.

can anyone compare texture to bogies?

Edited by goshimu

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few pairs of Lok brass grips that are stock and a pair that has been cerakoted, but not by Lok. The cerakoted brass grips feels slightly less aggressive but it's not something I notice while shooting. I also have Lok boogies on a couple handguns. The boogies are probably my favorite texture but I do like the brass grips far more than I thought I would and just ordered a pair for my new TS 2 Green which I plan on having cerakoted (altho I like that Casey Brass black look above too...). I also have one pair of Vytal acupuncture aluminum grips. They've also got a very aggressive but nice texture. Not quite boogie aggressive tho.

4 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

I have a few pairs of Lok brass grips that are stock and a pair that has been cerakoted, but not by Lok. The cerakoted brass grips feels slightly less aggressive but it's not something I notice while shooting. I also have Lok boogies on a couple handguns. The boogies are probably my favorite texture but I do like the brass grips far more than I thought I would and just ordered a pair for my new TS 2 Green which I plan on having cerakoted (altho I like that Casey Brass black look above too...). I also have one pair of Vytal acupuncture aluminum grips. They've also got a very aggressive but nice texture. Not quite boogie aggressive tho.

Thanks for the feedback. As I expected. I notice my black bogies are sharper than my  light grey/black grips by a little. This is good information. Do you like the balance better with the brass grips?

11 hours ago, goshimu said:

Thanks for the feedback. As I expected. I notice my black bogies are sharper than my  light grey/black grips by a little. This is good information. Do you like the balance better with the brass grips?

Yep, I do like the balance and "heft" of the brass grips a lot, especially on my TSO and Walther Q5 and Q4 SFs. I also have them on my Shadow 2 and for that they may be a bit heavy/overkill since I often shoot it at our local indoor defensive league matches (think IDPA/USPSA inspired fun) which requires a lot of gun manipulation and movement. For my TS2 Green I tired ordering the lighter, hollow brass grips just for kicks. We'll see. The hollow brass grips are waiting in my PO Box and the TS2 slide is off getting cut so I won't be able to test them out on the TS2 for a bit. I assume they'll fit on the TSO so I can report back on their feel in a day or 2. I have a nagging, potentially expensive feeling that I'm gonna like the weight of the hollow grips enough to get a pair for my Shodow 2 😉

5 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

Yep, I do like the balance and "heft" of the brass grips a lot, especially on my TSO and Walther Q5 and Q4 SFs. I also have them on my Shadow 2 and for that they may be a bit heavy/overkill since I often shoot it at our local indoor defensive league matches (think IDPA/USPSA inspired fun) which requires a lot of gun manipulation and movement. For my TS2 Green I tired ordering the lighter, hollow brass grips just for kicks. We'll see. The hollow brass grips are waiting in my PO Box and the TS2 slide is off getting cut so I won't be able to test them out on the TS2 for a bit. I assume they'll fit on the TSO so I can report back on their feel in a day or 2. I have a nagging, potentially expensive feeling that I'm gonna like the weight of the hollow grips enough to get a pair for my Shodow 2 😉

My main attraction to the brass grips is the balance as the bogies are fantastic, but the shadow 2 is a little more front heavy than I like. Not that it really matter other than preference.

14 hours ago, goshimu said:

My main attraction to the brass grips is the balance as the bogies are fantastic, but the shadow 2 is a little more front heavy than I like. Not that it really matter other than preference.

Oh they definitely help balance/"center" the S2 in your hand. The TSO and TS2 are longer and more front heavy. The solid brass grips are, for me, even better on the TSO. That's why I'm curious if the hollow, slightly lighter brass grips would be perfect for the S2.

5 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

Oh they definitely help balance/"center" the S2 in your hand. The TSO and TS2 are longer and more front heavy. The solid brass grips are, for me, even better on the TSO. That's why I'm curious if the hollow, slightly lighter brass grips would be perfect for the S2.

Based off 5in tanfo experience I think you’re correct the hollow would work well.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, goshimu said:

Based off 5in tanfo experience I think you’re correct the hollow would work well.

Yep, I picked up the hollow grips yesterday and think you're right. They may be the Goldilocks weight for an S2 or SP01. Maybe even the TS2.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my cerakoted black Loks last week. Grips and Magwell, for the TSO. fully loaded the gun is now about 4.5 lbs...

But the grips are quite pointy and aggressive and I wouldn't say the cerakote took any of the edge off at all. Loving them. Got g10 bogie palm swells then a week later the brass....