S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may have a couple LNIB 15 round 40 mags for sale to help finance a trigger job or more specifically the shipping part. Selling two mags would leave me with only 5 so I want to see if anyone is interested before I decide to post it in the classifieds.

Edited by John Thompson

• 2 weeks later...

Just do the trigger yourself. It's pretty easy. Burwell's page has the walk through which is most of the work on getting the trigger down to about 5 lbs with short reset. The last part which isn't shown is to bend the tab that the trigger return spring hooks onto to decrease the tension. Tweaking that gets the trigger down into the 3's.

The striker is pretty much cocked. The sear moves it back another 0.028" in stock conditions. If you start tweaking it to get less sear engagement, mine is down to 0.015" of movement.

Not entirely. The stuff on Burwell's page decreases a majority of the trigger pull weight and reset. That gets it down to about 5 lbs. To go lower, something has to be done to the trigger return spring. The return spring alone accounts for 2+ lbs of the trigger pull. Some people have modified Glock's spring to work. But another way is just to bend the tab that the spring hooks onto. Bending it forward decreases the amount of tension it puts on it. You want to decrease it so it just barely taking up the tension in the spring. It's all trial and error and you'll get really good at pulling the gun completely apart. Oh the joys of doing a trigger job.

• 2 months later...

...First post after reading here for a few weeks...

The M&P made the final 3 of my list as I went out to purchase my first firearm in 14 years. The other 2 finalists were an FN FNP-9, and the Walther P99-QA. These three made my list on the basis that they all "made my firing hand happy". It felt good in my hand..naturally swinging up into a perfect sight picture every time. I have some large paws, and finding one that I could conceal AND get all of my fingers around it for a good grip was important.

I was looking for a combo range/carry weapon, and the only thing that knocked the M&P out of contention was the factory/warranty service. I ended up going with the FN, and after 1500+ rounds in 2 weeks with zero issues, and 4" groups at 25 yards, I'm happy. This is after not shooting since '93 when Slick Willie C paid us all to exit the army after GW1.

It seems like a nice pistol, but from what I have heard and seen other friends experience, it will require a divine act to get S&W to act on a defect. I couldn't bear the thought of wrestling with that kind of tomfoolery, so I bought what I did. Just my $.02.

It seems like a nice pistol, but from what I have heard and seen other friends experience, it will require a divine act to get S&W to act on a defect. I couldn't bear the thought of wrestling with that kind of tomfoolery, so I bought what I did. Just my $.02.

Stupid question...

What defect?? :blink:

Y

Stupid question...

What defect?? :blink:

Y

ANY defect..specifically magazine catches not engaging all the time, failure to eject issues, slides locking open with rounds still in the magazine, etc. Some folks have zero issues, some minor, and some are wishing they'd bought something else.

Like anything manufactured, defects are a distinct possibility, but for something that my life may one day depend on, I would prefer far and few defects, and if they are known, fix it fast. THAT was my biggest fear with S&W's service, slow, foot dragging responses. BTW, that's also what dinged the Walther purchase..... IF it ever had any problems, I would be dealing with the same folks.

Lighteye67,

First, welcome to the forums. :)

Before you get Yamil all worked up :) , let me ask you if you have experienced any of those defects directly, or first hand from those you shoot with ?

What I have heard is that they have had some issues with strikers breaking...probably from guys like us dry-firing them a lot. From what I understand, they may have made a few improvements to the strikers since they have come out.

I guess what I am getting at is that...the guys here who shoot more than anybody...will be the ones putting these guns through their paces. If/when they come up defective...these guys will likely know about it pretty early (if not first).

I've never dealt with S&W service first hand. I have heard various stories. What I have heard with the service for the M&P seems to indicate that S&W is doing a good job getting parts out and such.

As I understand it, they already have parts in stock at Brownell's (gunsmithing supply) as well, which is far ahead of some of the other brand names that we use.

(Please note that I am a long-time Glock shooter, not an S&W devotee. I just didn't want to see this thread turn into a debate if we were going off of ifs and rumors. Not that you are right or wrong...just looking for some specifics if you have them available.)

Before you get Yamil all worked up :)

Dude, I'm moving back to AZ, how can I get worked up??

BTW, I dry Fire the heck out of my M&P's, strikers are working great, but I do have 6 Strikers in my Spare Parts Box, just in case, along with 3-4 of everything Brownells sells :P

Y

Dude, I'm moving back to AZ...

Whaaaaaat? Tired of shoveling the Global Warming from your driveway? :D

No Kenny, I couldn't get him to move to farther away! Told him Alaska needed a couple more USPSA sections but he didn't take the hint. ;)

Lighteye,

First, welcome to the forums. If you want any additional info on the M&P, this gentleman KEND is a great source. Between him and his SSS Team they put as many rounds (or more) through those pistolas than Julie and Langdon.

Now, go get that new blaster of yours to the range.

Thanks for the welcome, and don't mean to come acrss as a troll, no offense meant, and hopefully none taken. :rolleyes:

My observations were based on two known incidents, actually. The first was one of my shooting buddies bought a new M&P in 9MM last spring. I was insanely jealous until we got to the firing line. He was unable to empty more than two magazines without a failure to eject. We tried, Wolf, WWB, CCI, and Rem. UMC. Same results pretty consistently. Of course we went back to the local shop where he had purchased it, and had them do the return.

Speaking with the gunsmith and the owners, they had sold two of the M&Ps that week, and BOTH were already being returned for the same issue. It was almost 4 weeks before he got it back. The shop owner apparently went round and round with S&W over the issue, which I why I'm glad I was just on the sidelines on that one.

Since then, to S&W's credit, his M&P works as it should, and he's all smiles again. I even went through a few boxes with it, and it's all I thought it should have been in the first place. Beautiful backstrap, the large one fit my hand like it was meant for my big paws. I was just making an observation based on my own dealings, albeit from a distance. I think there was an issue that for whatever reason slipped past QC, but has since been rectified.

Just got back from the range a few hours ago, 3 pistols cleaned, one to go....Peace :D

Huh, I can add to the conversation and say that I have sold about 7 of the M&P pistols from my little gun shop and they all work great according to the folks that purchased them. They used them in a personal carry class they took from me. The M&P 40 that I carry and shoot has also ran 100% for the 10 months I have had it.

It would be interesting to know exactly what the problem was with your friends 9mm M&P's. Did S&W indicate what they did to correct the problem?

Thanks for the welcome, and don't mean to come acrss as a troll, no offense meant, and hopefully none taken. Thanks for the welcome, and don't mean to come acrss as a troll, no offense meant, and hopefully none taken.

My observations were based on two known incidents, actually. The first was one of my shooting buddies bought a new M&P in 9MM last spring. I was insanely jealous until we got to the firing line. He was unable to empty more than two magazines without a failure to eject. We tried, Wolf, WWB, CCI, and Rem. UMC. Same results pretty consistently. Of course we went back to the local shop where he had purchased it, and had them do the return.

Speaking with the gunsmith and the owners, they had sold two of the M&Ps that week, and BOTH were already being returned for the same issue. It was almost 4 weeks before he got it back. The shop owner apparently went round and round with S&W over the issue, which I why I'm glad I was just on the sidelines on that one.

Since then, to S&W's credit, his M&P works as it should, and he's all smiles again. I even went through a few boxes with it, and it's all I thought it should have been in the first place. Beautiful backstrap, the large one fit my hand like it was meant for my big paws. I was just making an observation based on my own dealings, albeit from a distance. I think there was an issue that for whatever reason slipped past QC, but has since been rectified.

Just got back from the range a few hours ago, 3 pistols cleaned, one to go....Peace

I'll also add in that although I suffered form a broken striker, S&W service has been completley painless and turnaround was quick as they weren't short of any parts at the time.

The only proiblems I had with failures to feed or eject have come from loading too long and getting grit in the mags and recently with experimenting with agrip on the large backstrap which made it too wide and pushed my thumb up into the slide release using major power factor ammo.

Generally I like the gun.

I own the M&P in both 9MM and in 40. The 40 has run flawless and is very accurate. I could not get the 9MM to group with any ammo I tried so I sent it back. It was just too erratic for me.

It is still at S&W as some of their M&P repair people are out training department armorers. I will patiently wait for the return.

Would I buy one again? Yes, I am a loyal S&W customer although it is mostly with their revolvers :)

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I personally know that the Iowa State Patrol is very happy with the .40 M&Ps...The only problem they had with the transition was some bad ammo....which I believe. That test sample is only about 350 guns worth... ;)

Smith has gone through some issues, but has fixed them. I know another shooter that got one of the newer guns, it was a D gun. He had striker issues, and sent it in, had issues again, and then got a new gun. He now has over 11K through it. It is his carry gun. It is common on any new system built. On the serial # there is an alpha designation that denote which batch it was made on. Last time I knew they were into the G-J on production and I have heard no complaints. I shot several at the academy and will be buying one when I can. They are doing whatever they can to take back some of the maket share from Glock, and so far it looks pretty good.......IMHO...

DougC

I switched from a Glock 34 to the M&P 9mm for Production. I've got about 1500 rds thru it so far with zero problems. Shot a match yesterday where it was very cold and blowing fine grains of dirt everywhere, it ran without a hitch, even though I just banged the mags against my pants to knock the dirt off between stages. I've also got a compact 9mm that I have about 500 rds thru with no problems. I'm a believer.

I personally know that the Iowa State Patrol is very happy with the .40 M&Ps...The only problem they had with the transition was some bad ammo....which I believe. That test sample is only about 350 guns worth... ;)

Smith has gone through some issues, but has fixed them. I know another shooter that got one of the newer guns, it was a D gun. He had striker issues, and sent it in, had issues again, and then got a new gun. He now has over 11K through it. It is his carry gun. It is common on any new system built. On the serial # there is an alpha designation that denote which batch it was made on. Last time I knew they were into the G-J on production and I have heard no complaints. I shot several at the academy and will be buying one when I can. They are doing whatever they can to take back some of the maket share from Glock, and so far it looks pretty good.......IMHO...

DougC

I caught up with my shooting pal, and he refreshed my memory... it was the slide stop that was replaced on his that seemed to make it run like it should. I have no idea what the resolution was for the other M&P 9MM. From what he was told, this was not an uncommon issue for the MP 9MMs sold in early 2006. The frame has been slightly altered from what he told me for the 2007s as well. The design has had a year to mature, and there is no substitute for having thousands upon thousands of instances of customer feedback to tweak an item. Apparently, they were listening this time around

Like I said, I thought it felt nice in my hand in the house, and also sending 'em downrange, even the Magtek +P+ rounds didn't have the usual sting..sweet recoil, follow up shots made easily, as with most 9's. No issues since it came back, but the opening CS experience with SW was nightmarish, and not something I have the patience for.

I may still pick one up next year, dear spouse allowing. Time will tell.