Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited class need advice

Hello all, so I’m currently shooting SS Major. I’m looking to move to limited for a little more shooting and less reloading. I’ve previously shot limited with a G35. Long and short I’m a 1911 guy apparently and hated the Glock.

Here’s my dilemma, does it make sense to save money and shoot minor in Limited with a cheaper steel gun (CZ etc) or stick with SS while waiting to get enough cash to get a proper 2011 custom in 40? I have fun shooting with others in the same class so I can kinda gauge how I’m doing. I feel like no one locally shoots minor Limited but then again only 1 other guy shoots SS…. I know this is an opinion type question but sound off and lemme know your thoughts. 

I made the transition from SS to Limited for the same reason.  I would say if you want to get the experience shooting Limited, go ahead and shoot minor until you can switch to limited major.  No need to wait. 

When I went from minor to major, I saw a significant jump in my scores. My limited blaster is an XDm 5.25 with an aftermarket trigger. No, it doesn’t feel like a 1911 but close enough for a fraction of the price. Otherwise, keep lurking. All the cool kids are going either open or carry optics so 2011s in .40 are popping up in the classifieds all the time.

I have noticed a few good 2011's pop up on here. Right now I'm trying to sell some of my other goodies (elsewhere) to free up capitol. But in the mean time lurking hard in the classifieds here in case something is too good to pass up. Follow up question, do people have goodish luck get $ back out of a Minor set up limited gun? 

By your own admission,  your preference is a 1911 platform..  With that my recommendation would be to bite the bullet and just get a 2011 Limited gun.  There’s a good probability that the purchase of anything else in the interim will just prolong getting what you want.  

48 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

When I went from minor to major, I saw a significant jump in my scores.

That's another positive reason not to wait.   

BTW - I have a great affordable semi-custom 2011 Limited gun in 40S&W listed in the classifieds

Edited by jwhittin

The answer to your question is no, it does not make any sense to shoot limited with a minor gun.

Also: limited is a division, not a class.

People seem to think limited is dying, so there are bargains out there--and there certainly will be in the fall/winter.

Edited by twodownzero

If you have a A  9mm id shoot that, but if buying a new gun there really is zero reason not to buy a .40 and be done with it.  Kind of also depends on your goal, win local matches in limited or level2 and up.  

Edited by Sinister4

In my opinion and experience this all comes down to how serious you are and how much disposable income you have.

If you have a ton of disposable income buy a high-end limited blaster if that's what you like.

If you're very serious but don't have a lot of disposable income, save up and buy it the gun you want instead of trying to shortchange it.

If you're going to be like 95% of USPSA shooters and shoot at a club match here and there and maybe an occasional larger match and don't have a lot of disposable income, buy a plastic blaster in 40 and go have fun. Now that you can put good triggers, heavy flashlights, etc on them, you don't give up a tremendous amount if anything to the 2011. The one issue though is that the only 40 cal plastic gun being produced right now, or at least the last time I looked, was a glock 35. I know you said you didn't like glocks, but if you weren't shooting a Gen 5 the last time you tried them, you might look one more time. The Gen 5S seem to be much better to me if you're coming from a 1911 then the Gen 3s. Good luck 

Edited to add: unless you already have a minor gun that you want to shoot in limited, don't spend any money on a A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want gun. And even if you already have the minor gun that you could use, other than a base pad or two don't spend any money on it LOL

Edited by RJH

I'm a single stack 45 cal shooter. I sometimes shoot limited with a CZ Tac Sport 40. But i keep saying to myself I should just shoot more 9mm at monthlies just because it's  cheaper. I have a regular CZ 75B single action 9mm and shot it in a match last weekend . I'm just a B shooter and know that 40 is better but I  still enjoyed it. Just got a set of the Loc palmswell bogies yesterday. Gun feels great with them.

Edited by MHicks
Sentence accidentally inserted

4 hours ago, beltfedgoodness said:

Thanks X2, I’m an idiot sometimes I meant div. Lol I appreciate everyone’s input so far, I’m leaning towards just going right for the major LTD set up vs an intermediate set up. 

Also: if you look at my classifier record, I enjoy shooting single stack, too.  I bought a limited gun in 2009 or so, and I've still shot a LOT more SS than Limited.

I wouldn't automatically think you're going to love some other gun so much, though.  Last year I bought a CZ Shadow 2 for Production.  After 10 months of shooting it, I'm still not sure it's for me.  It's a damn nice gun, but I really like my single stacks--even though my single stack isn't particularly nice and was probably 1/3 the cost.  I thought a Shadow would get me all excited about shooting Production, but it really doesn't.

I do like my 2011.  It's a lightly customized but otherwise stock STI Eagle.  Would I like it more if it was an SV or Brazos or whatever is the flavor of the month this month?  Perhaps.  I figure I'll buy an even nicer 2011 when I wear this one out.  13 years with this one so far and it's not worn out yet.

All this to say, don't assume you'll automatically like Limited more than SS.  I enjoy both and I especially enjoy Limited at bigger matches because the stage plans are easier.  But nothing feels at home in my hand like my single stacks.  All other guns are compromises for me besides my single stacks.

I started out shooting Limited with a Glock 23 (because that is what I had), then I graduated to a Rock Island Tac Ultra FS HC .40 and then graduated to an Akai Barbarian .40 (that I absolutely love)!  I currently have two Akai's and I really enjoy Limited Division, but I am thinking about selling one of them to fund a venture into Open!  I am sure you will enjoy less magazine changes per stage!  

As someone who started with a budget lim minor gun and did progressive upgrades to it, I'd say just get the gun you want the first time around. If you want to be competitive at all in limited you'll need to be shooting major. Will keep you on par with your CO buddies at your local too. 

What everyone else said.  You can get into a used .40 STI for not much more than a suitable CZ, so unless you want a CZ for some reason or don't have any primers, look around for a deal on a STI.   Try a local WTB ad too (tons of scammers with online WTBs, so be real careful there)

On 5/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, shred said:

What everyone else said.  You can get into a used .40 STI for not much more than a suitable CZ, so unless you want a CZ for some reason or don't have any primers, look around for a deal on a STI.   Try a local WTB ad too (tons of scammers with online WTBs, so be real careful there)

Going to have to respectfully disagree here, I rarely see a used STI/ 2011 going for sub 1750. Used TSO's frequently go for sub 1500, I got mine with 500 rounds on it for 1200. A used TSO/ TS in .40 is hands down the best choice for someone looking to get into lim major on a budget. 

On 5/18/2022 at 5:08 PM, beltfedgoodness said:

Thanks for everyone’s input! My local dealer gave me a deal on a New CZ TSO in 40 so I pulled the trigger haha 

Nice! What did you get it for? 

I recommend the ghost "the one" holster for USPSA. 

On 5/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, CC3D said:

Going to have to respectfully disagree here, I rarely see a used STI/ 2011 going for sub 1750. Used TSO's frequently go for sub 1500, I got mine with 500 rounds on it for 1200. A used TSO/ TS in .40 is hands down the best choice for someone looking to get into lim major on a budget. 

Around here an Edge was listed at $1500 and an Eagle at $1400 in the past few months.  YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this topic as I was thinking similar things as I’ve shoot only IDPA for the past 5 years 40cal wasn’t really a thing and wasn’t a close USPSA match. Now that I’ve moved there is 3 USPSA clubs within less than an hour. Limited really calls to me for some reason and I love my 1911/2011s but they are all 9mm … so been debating do I try and convert one to open? Buy a 40cal? Shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want? Do CZs2 in CO?

For my first match a few weeks ago just to get experience with the sport too my Staccato P Duo and shot in open (yes not the best idea) came in 8th of 13 open shooters. Few of the top guys were running comp’ed 2011s and one guy had a cool custom CZ with comp and slide mount optic.