Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock Colors?

tpe187

Hi,

The other day I stopped by the local gun shop just to see what they had. They had a couple Glocks with a different finish to the frame on one and the entire pistol on the other. One was a carbon fiber Black/Gray combo on the lower, on a Model 22 I think and the other was a desert camo on a Glock 21 over the entire gun.

Is this a limited run or what. Personally I think it looked kind of gay, but thats just me. I have always looked at Glocks as tools, but to each his own I guess.

On another note, why does Glock have such a crappy website with no updated information? I went there looking for info on the 45 GAP and they didn't even list the model numbers. I guess they don't have to worry about sales, so they don't. Too bad for us I guess.

These finishes are not put on by Glock. They are all aftermarket. Their are several companies that are marketing these different slide finishes. Glock having a crappy website is something I will never understand. Their crappy website is a dis-service to their customers.

I heard that Glock made too many of the olive green frames. They were supposed to run one black group and one green group but instead they ran 2 or 3 green to one black.

As a result, there were so many olive green frames around that a couple of distributors started doing the desert camo / carbon fiber frames since Glock told them that they would not take them back or give them black frames in their place.

Apparently, all of the carbon / camo guns originally had green frames.

Just a suggestion, you might want to avoid the colors on the Glock frames. The Carbon Fiber frame I saw was very slick. It feels like a decal that heat shrunk onto the frame. Definitely one of the worst feeling guns I've handled. On top of that the finish was put on very poorly. The serial number on the frame couldn't even be read and the green parts of the frame underneath were visible in various spots.

There were two other Glock frame colors - red (deactivated training gun) and blue (a model which uses some sort of simulated ammo - simunition, I think). I know the red frame was a single locking block pin G17 frame, and that it could be made into a real gun by replaceing the neutered parts, and the same may be true of the blue frame. Obviously, doing so would not only be expensive, but would be a profoundly bad idea.

There were two other Glock frame colors - red (deactivated training gun) and blue (a model which uses some sort of simulated ammo - simunition, I think). I know the red frame was a single locking block pin G17 frame, and that it could be made into a real gun by replaceing the neutered parts, and the same may be true of the blue frame. Obviously, doing so would not only be expensive, but would be a profoundly bad idea.

The red gun is actually built as a 22. I cannot be made into a real gun without some major changes. The slide does not have a hole for the striker, and the barrel is solid with holes drilled through sideways. Slide and barrel would cost more than the base gun. The blue gun is the 17. It uses some different lockwork and a smaller, off center bore for Simunitions. There is also a version that uses air cartridges. There is also a version of the red 22 that is designed for use with FATS or Range 2/3000 systems that automatically resets the trigger after each pull.

Expensive and a bad idea???

Glock makes the non-functioning and simunition guns in different colors so they can be visually distinguished from functioning guns.

Swapping parts around to create a functioning firearm which has the appearance of a non-firing replica, or non-lethal simulation firearm, presents the obvious potential for a safety problem. I'd be willing to guess Glock restricts sales of these models for exactly that reason.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

Rob,

I understand why they would use the different frame colors for saftey but I would love to be able to pimp out my open glock with a different frame color without having to resort to having it painted.

Chris

I saw the Carbon Fiber frame several months ago. The one I felt was actually a little rougher than the standard polymer surface. It was on a green frame and did appear to be a shrink wrap of some sort so I don't doubt that with some abuse it would peel off. Interesting but nothing I need or want...

• 2 years later...
I saw the Carbon Fiber frame several months ago. The one I felt was actually a little rougher than the standard polymer surface. It was on a green frame and did appear to be a shrink wrap of some sort so I don't doubt that with some abuse it would peel off. Interesting but nothing I need or want...

And now for the rest of the story....

Glock's first run of the OD green frame guns in 2004/2005 were all shipped to one wholesaler that had more or less of an exclusive. What sounded like a great idea on paper turned into a lack-luster sales performer and this wholesaler was stuck with a LARGE inventory from their large inital commitment. In an effort to move the dead inventory off the shelf, this wholesaler contracted with one of the color film dip company and converted their troublesome OD Glocks into several other colors. IIRC, in addition to the carbon fiber dip, there was maybe a desert camo and an urban camo variation.

Those same color film dip companies will also do a private individual's firearm.

I think I saw somewhere that Glock did a run of WHITE framed guns at one time. For some

specific military or police customer? Any info on that?

I have seen pictures of one. If I remember right (many beers ago) it was less then 100 made for a Austrian border guard unit.

I have a orange 17, that I have thought of turning into a limited gun but think I would rather just dura coat a regular 17 and keep the "collectability" of the real orange gun.