Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder selection for 9mm major

What powder is everyone using for 9mm major.      I know there’s hs6 autocomp and aa7 but that’s about all I can think of off the top of my head.    I’m using hs6 at the moment but recently heard about aa7.   I tried autocomp and didn’t care for it.    I’m not asking for load data so much as what other options are out there for 9major.  

Edited by OpenshooterAclass4lyfe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Open1215 said:

VV 3N38, CFE pistol, shooters world major pistol, silhouette, I've also used 800x when powder was short but it's like metering waffles... Lol. I'm sure there's more. 

Thanks for the reply.  I’m getting a new open gun  in soon and I wanted to play with some different powders to see which one the pistol likes the best     Now that you mentioned it I remember the shooters world powder being used but it’s hard to come by.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in stock anywhere. 

If you didn't like Autocomp you won't like CFE.  Basically the same with the copper remover added.  VV3N38 is loved by many, but I can't fit enough in a 9mm case to make major with a 115.  Also, it does not compress well.  If you don't seat and crimp in the same operation, the OAL will grow.

I have never owned a compensated Open gun, with or without ports that could not exhaust all the gasses before any shot out the front of the comp.  So I want as much of a slow, dense powder as I can fit in a 9mm case.  CFE, Autocomp, Silhouette, HS-6, N350 and 3N37 are all too fast for my taste.  I'm currently using SWMP powder.  It is the same formula as AA7, just made in Europe.   I've gone as high as 10.8gr under a 115 and still no gas exits the front of the comp.  It is also very compressible.  So if you don't mind a little powder spilling onto the shell plate when it turns, you can load even more.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

If you didn't like Autocomp you won't like CFE.  Basically the same with the copper remover added.  VV3N38 is loved by many, but I can't fit enough in a 9mm case to make major with a 115.  Also, it does not compress well.  If you don't seat and crimp in the same operation, the OAL will grow.

I have never owned a compensated Open gun, with or without ports that could not exhaust all the gasses before any shot out the front of the comp.  So I want as much of a slow, dense powder as I can fit in a 9mm case.  CFE, Autocomp, Silhouette, HS-6, N350 and 3N37 are all too fast for my taste.  I'm currently using SWMP powder.  It is the same formula as AA7, just made in Europe.   I've gone as high as 10.8gr under a 115 and still no gas exits the front of the comp.  It is also very compressible.  So if you don't mind a little powder spilling onto the shell plate when it turns, you can load even more.

Interesting.   I’d like to try aa7 with some 115s and 124s to see how I like it compared to hs6.    Thanks for the reply. 

3 hours ago, Stage 3 said:

I've been using VV N350 for years, very clean and consistent. 

What was your load for it if you don’t mind me asking?    I’ve seen n350 on the shelf as well as aa7 at my local shop.     Did you use 115 or 124?    I’ve been using 124s but I’d like to try some 115s. 

21 minutes ago, Open1215 said:

For me, personally I ran 3n38 and AA7 side by side at the same pf and I couldn't tell any difference. AA7 is dirty 3N38 is clean but the cost difference and availability for me made me switch to aa7

Were you using 115 or 124s?  I’m thinking about trying the aa7 since there’s some at my local shop.       

Edited by OpenshooterAclass4lyfe

For 9major, 124jhp

3n38, Aa7, Hs-6, Silhouette, and surprisingly SW autopistol 

For me, 3n38 is the cleanest, Hs-6 dirtiest

Felt recoil pulse 

1. 3n38, HS-6 (softie/best)

2. Aa7/SWMP (I had the bad "115" lot of major pistol)

3. Silhouette/Autopistol 

Edited by DodgeNerd

10 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

I switched to AA7 from HS-6 and its much better in my gun with 6 popple holes. Much less harsh and flatter shooting. Less dot bounce. Now i have 16 pounds of HS-6 sitting here for 2 years that idk what to do with lol. 

It’s still a good open powder. Let it sit on the shelf

I don't get the AA7/SWMP is dirty remarks.  I use it and it is clean as a whistle.  I load 10.2gr under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" OAL.  169 PF with SDs in the 5 and 6 range.  I've gone up to 10.8gr while testing.  I didn't chrono those loads.  They were definitely softer, flatter and louder than the 10.2 loads.  The reason I stay with 10.2 is I get no spillage when the shell plate turns.  I get a little at 10.4, and a little more at 10.6.  10.8 gets a little messy.  It's still less messy than 9.4gr 3N38.  That stuff just jumps out of the case.

Edited by zzt

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't get the AA7/SWMP is dirty remarks.  I use it and it is clean as a whistle.  I load 10.2gr under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" OAL.  169 PF with SDs in the 5 and 6 range.  I've gone up to 10.8gr while testing.  I didn't chrono those loads.  They were definitely softer, flatter and louder than the 10.2 loads.  The reason I stay with 10.2 is I get no spillage when the shell plate turns.  I get a little at 10.4, and a little more at 10.6.  10.8 gets a little messy.

Cool.  Thanks for the response. I plan to test some aa7 with some 124 and 115 precision delta jhp v1 s   Your load sounds similar to others that I’ve heard using it.  

13 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't get the AA7/SWMP is dirty remarks.  I use it and it is clean as a whistle.  I load 10.2gr under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" OAL.  169 PF with SDs in the 5 and 6 range.  I've gone up to 10.8gr while testing.  I didn't chrono those loads.  They were definitely softer, flatter and louder than the 10.2 loads.  The reason I stay with 10.2 is I get no spillage when the shell plate turns.  I get a little at 10.4, and a little more at 10.6.  10.8 gets a little messy.  It's still less messy than 9.4gr 3N38.  That stuff just jumps out of the case.

You're brave, I was spilling 9grn all over the place for 9major!

RMR or Everglades JHP

I'm limited by mag length so 1.155 to 1.160

I used to run silhouette 7.6 grs gave me 1468 FPS

I've switched to SWMP and think it's better for all the reasons discussed above. 9.9grs gives me the same 1465ish, but with more gas. Comp runs better, gun shoots flatter.