Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hotel/Gas Prices

Malarky112

This is the time of year that we’re signing up for those big matches. 

I signed up for a few and then started to look at hotels. 
Prices have nearly doubled from last year! Combine that with the high cost of gas and I actually had to decide that if I can’t drive to the match the morning of….I won’t be going. 

Just now, Smitty79 said:

Get an electric car.    Much cheaper to fuel and only costs on Infinity Open gun more than an equivalent gas car.   I have a Tesla.   When we car pool to matches, I drive.

We borrowed a model 3 to go to A2 last year.  I ended up saving approximately $50 in fuel at the time of current prices total however it added about an hour of travel each way due to multiple charging stops.

Doing it again, I would just drive my normal car and save the down time of waiting to charge.

I already skipped a match this year due to the hotel cost $200 which used to be $89 two years ago.  Hotel cost, primer cost of 10 cents apiece, and now crazy gas prices will cause me to reevaluate more 2022 matches.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, Smitty79 said:

Get an electric car.    

Yeah okay. Because when a $2 per gallon increase in gas is enough to force life changes it definitely signifies that you can afford a $50k+ car...

5 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Yeah okay. Because when a $2 per gallon increase in gas is enough to force life changes it definitely signifies that you can afford a $50k+ car...

Careful, my meme about child labor mining the lithium/cobalt for batteries got deleted, so I'm sure accurate sarcasm will also probably get the axe.  Oh, and if you want a Tesla add another $20K+ to the price tag.

Nolan

36 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Oh, and if you want a Tesla add another $20K+ to the price tag.

Nolan

16 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

$45k all the way up to $146k

Ok, so the people who are actually getting kicked in the nuts by cost increases aren't even close to being the actual target audience of electric cars. I can afford to pay more for gas. I can pay more for groceries. I can pay more to buy components for my hobby and overpay for hotels. Separately. But it's cumulative, and when you add them together the hobby is gonna be the first one to get cut.