Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for Night Matches / Indoor Low Light No Light

Philip Dedmon

There's two parts at play for night matches-- flash and smoke.  Smoke can be a problem with a light when trying to shoot rapidly as in a match situation (especially in poorly-ventilated ranges or when there's minimal wind).  Some flame-retardants make smoke worse.

Jacketed bullets with no exposed lead at the base are pretty much mandatory, then make sure there isn't any case lube in the case, then look for a powder that burns completely and doesn't have a lot of fillers.

The old way to test this was lay out a teaspoon of the candidates on a sheet of foil and light them, while comparing the smoke and residue levels.  Not perfect but it narrowed down the candidates.  Best done outdoors :)

Truly depends on the humidity. With a JHP most of the time Sport pistol gives . Very little smoke. In high humidity it smokes quite a bit.

Last night match I shot . It was 31 deg and very lightly snowing. I used E3. Don't remember it smoking very much.

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Just our of curiosity how dirty/clean is e3? 

If you are shooting it in a pistol is is very clean, even with mouse farts.  Shoot a match and the gun looks like it doesn't need cleaning.

My PCC barrel has a large chamber.  I  have to keep the pressures up, because the bolt starts opening as soon as the round is fired.  I need enough pressure to seal the case to the chamber walls.  My 124gr 90 PF mouse fart loads don't do that. As a result the gun is filthy after one match.