Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Div. shooting major -and- minor?

eboggs

The other issue is that a lot of the stages end up being the same number of reloads regardless. If you had a bunch of 10 round stages and 40 round stages and nothing else you'd have an advantage with minor.

12-17 round stages, 1 reload either way. 22-25 round stage 2 reloads either way. 31-33 3 reloads either way. What's the round count on most courses you see?

It's possible minor would save you a standing reload somewhere due to misses or course design. That might make you on 3-4 course local match, but on a 10-18 stage major it won't make up for all the charlies you shoot every single stage. If you are the guy that occasionally misses steel, you are probably also the guy that drops a D here and there too.

I shoot SS minor sometimes because it's cheaper and I think it's fun, but it's no way to win.

1 hour ago, bofe954 said:

The other issue is that a lot of the stages end up being the same number of reloads regardless. If you had a bunch of 10 round stages and 40 round stages and nothing else you'd have an advantage with minor.

this would only be true for people that suck at reloading. in general, a reload while moving more than 2 steps costs close to zero time for shooters who practice.

1 hour ago, Nc1911 said:

When you walk the stages before the match make up your mind if it favors major or minor and have both guns in the car ready to go.

This sounds like a good idea, except......    Can you name one good shooter who does this? I can't.  I'm not very good, but I would be giving up more performance by switching calibers at the last minute and having to readjust my grip and timing.

Edited by motosapiens

Can you name one good shooterwho does this? I can't. 

yes, but only one I know of at the club I shoot frequently. He is a GM in SS and places high at the the  nationals the past few years.

myself, I take a hit moving from 9mm to 45acp with the same make gun.

I know a couple top-10 SS shooters that will look at the stages in the matchbook and make a decision on what to shoot, but it's very rare to do it day-of-match.

If you want to be manly, you get 10 round mags for the major gun (if it's a .40) and shoot major ammo while declaring minor.

There's a long-unanswered question at NROI about what to do if a shooter that signed up in Major SS shoots 10 shots before a reload. 

IPSC says 'bump to minor', but USPSA doesn't seem to have decided if it's a bump to open or bump to minor or something else.

In Revolver, shooting 7 or more shots before a reload if you've declared major is a bump to Open under 6.2.5.1 ("if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared handgun division [...]"). The maximum ammunition capacity based on declared power factor is a division requirement, even though it varies based on declared power factor.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, motosapiens said:

this would only be true for people that suck at reloading. in general, a reload while moving more than 2 steps costs close to zero time for shooters who practice.

I wonder why the limited guys finish higher than the L10 guys in overall results?

24 minutes ago, bofe954 said:

I wonder why the limited guys finish higher than the L10 guys in overall results?

because in reality nobody shoots L10 seriously. With thousands more classifier stage runs shot in Limited vs L10 with on on average better shooters in Limited I'm sure you will see higher hit factors in Limited vs L10 not because there is an actual advantage but just because when more better shooters try more times they have more good runs.

5 hours ago, bofe954 said:

A big part of it is (as mike burgess notes), no one but posers and and hiders shoots L10 outside of lo-cap nats. 4 or 5 good shooters shot L10 there.

But further, comparing L10-Limited to SS major/minor is not a good comparison. L10 is going to have to 2-3 times as many reloads. most of those will be free, but a few will not, and it will also not be that uncommon to have to choose a slightly different stage plan, or less shooting on the move, or something.

In the SS major/minor discussion, there will only be a few reloads difference for the entire match (maybe 2-4 at the recent WSSSC in my recollection). Unless you mess up and have excessive makeup shots in the wrong place, the reloads are unlikely to make a significant difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll never be a top competitor so the razor’s edge of hit factors doesn’t occupy my thoughts much.  I’ve shot 8 round .45 major SS and minor 9mm with 10 round mags.  I find just the two extra rounds makes it more enjoyable.  Also it could be because my 9mm 1911s are higher quality than the .45s.

If I were younger with more years of competing in front of me and aspirations of doing well in big matches, I’d shoot major in SS.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 3 weeks later...

I have major and minor SS guns. And if I was to do it all over again I would have just bought two exact same 40 cal 1911s. Especially after shooting a 40 loaded to 130 or so PF. It was softer then my 130PF 9mm loads. You can use 40 for major or minor. 

From my experience as a average shooter I shoot minor exclusively now. I've shot plenty of L2/3 matches and placed well. I'm slow either way but find I can getting better second shots with minor.