Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interchangeable Front Sight Bases

Lee9476

Looking to get some feedback here to gauge interest- 

I had someone drop off a revolver today to have a DX style interchangeable front sight base installed. I was going to order one from Bowen but they appear to be out of stock of the S&W profile bases. Before I go ahead and make a one off, are there still people with older K/L/N frames that need interchangeable front sight bases? I'm trying to determine whether I need to make one or if I should run off a whole batch. 

Thanks

Thanks Kurusty that's good to know. More a matter of turn around time for me. If Bowen responded to my inquiry and had them available in the next week I'd be buying the things too but right now just planning for the worst and trying to figure out how much stock I would need to order. 

14 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Weigand sold that to Bowen. I would like to get a few if they're not too expensive. I could make my own, but have a lot of other stuff going on right now. Easier to just buy it.

When do Jack sell to Bowen?

I have a weigand base and it looks great on the 686 than had the barrel shortened.

xNT6CPQ.jpg

Edited by RePete

I also have an Weigand sight base I've been holding on to it for some future project,

had a blued one years ago but parted with it to someone that needed it more.

I do believe if you made them you could find folks to buy them, I'd probably do another

just to add to the spare parts bin, been longing for a 5.5" 929 for awhile 🙂

My 627 has a factory DX front sight base. I put detent ball behind the spring to make it harder to knock off.

I've never seen the need for a quick detach sight, I saw one knocked off on the edge of a port when I was just getting started in ICORE. If I was building a base for myself I'd pin the front sight.

I have always thought it would be better to put the pin at the back and have a setscrew in front. Then it would be much more secure and much easier to change out. Just back out the setscrew, pull one out, put one in, tighten setscrew. I would have low strength Loctite (#222) on the setscrew so it wouldn't work loose. No need for spring and plunger then, either.

10 hours ago, PatJones said:

My 627 has a factory DX front sight base. I put detent ball behind the spring to make it harder to knock off.

I've never seen the need for a quick detach sight, I saw one knocked off on the edge of a port when I was just getting started in ICORE. If I was building a base for myself I'd pin the front sight.

The FS and the Grips are about the only thing one can "play" with, by changing out for style/type/color, on a Revolver!  The gadgeteer in me needs that!

Seriously I've had fairly good luck with just changing FS blade heights for different loads, i.e. match loads vs EDC.  I've only had 1 that I knocked out and it was on my M29-3 that I had Clark put a Weigand Base on.  It was due to hitting the Safariland 002 muzzle flap while re-holstering.  Never had any of my Kydex holsters do that though?

For an EDC gun though it's definitely not the best.

Wow sorry guys missed some of these replies but I’m seeing some good info here.

Thanks Warren for the ideas about reversing the orientation and swapping the spring plunger for a set screw - I like that quite a bit. I’ve popped at least one sight out from hitting a barricade before. 

From what it sounds like I’ll be ordering a decent amount of stock and work up a slightly modified design. We should be able to offer them as machined or bead blasted stainless with a potential for cerakoted black. Sorry no hot blueing capabilities. 

I’ll keep this post updated and if anyone has any other ideas of what they want/need let me know or send a PM. 

Warren- yes I can cut the length pretty much in half I think which would be better for some snubs. I have a 2” 625 I made that needs a new front sight that would be prefect for for it. 

Kurusty- I can dovetail a front sight no problem but in general I think there are more options for DX front sights in height and width. Also if you were to dovetail directly into the barrel in some cases you would need an abnormally tall sight on the order of .500 or so

On 1/9/2022 at 5:49 AM, Toolguy said:

I have always thought it would be better to put the pin at the back and have a setscrew in front. Then it would be much more secure and much easier to change out. Just back out the setscrew, pull one out, put one in, tighten setscrew. I would have low strength Loctite (#222) on the setscrew so it wouldn't work loose. No need for spring and plunger then, either.

That is clever!  I bet you could sell some of those--especially if they are cheaper than the LPA front sight.  My front sight is so tight I can barely get it out.