Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interchangeable Front Sight Bases

Lee9476

Late to the party with my comments so here goes.

The new design sight base sounds great, until you realize we now only have a single source for front sight blades. (or two maybe?)

Granted we don't have a ton of options but we do have SDM, Toolguy, EGW, Hi-Viz, etc.

Do we think these vendors will rush to start make something for a custom part ??

I do like the design idea, just thinking long term.

All for shortening up the Weigand style base, the original may have been as long as it is to cover up the removal of the stock sight base to go

from pinned to DLX version, not sure. I believe most folks who use this base are cutting their barrels down anyway so shorter should be fine.

That Python front sight is interesting, how does that stay in ?

Dave thanks for the comments. 

To hopefully ease your concern, the new base is being designed around the current S&W DX style sight. That should leave all of the current manufacturers of front sights available for use. 

The length is proving to be a bit of a consideration. The base can indeed be shorter by eliminating the plunger and spring. So far I can comfortably shorten it by approximately a half inch from the Weigand design. However, you are correct that the length seems to be intended to cover the removal of the S&W factory base. I am thinking of making two different lengths- one as short as possible for any snub length barrel chops, and one left long to account for removal of an existing base but this is all still a bit fluid. IF only one length is made then it would be the longer one to account for removal of a factory base with maybe a short base offered on a case by case basis. 

Prototyping should start sometime this week so if there are any other ideas or concerns please feel free to voice them. 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:01 PM, Wyoming Shooter said:

The current production Python front sight is held in place by a .050" set screw from the muzzle end.

Thanks for the info, love the Python looks, maybe someday I can get me one.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:13 PM, Lee9476 said:

Dave thanks for the comments. 

To hopefully ease your concern, the new base is being designed around the current S&W DX style sight. That should leave all of the current manufacturers of front sights available for use. 

The length is proving to be a bit of a consideration. The base can indeed be shorter by eliminating the plunger and spring. So far I can comfortably shorten it by approximately a half inch from the Weigand design. However, you are correct that the length seems to be intended to cover the removal of the S&W factory base. I am thinking of making two different lengths- one as short as possible for any snub length barrel chops, and one left long to account for removal of an existing base but this is all still a bit fluid. IF only one length is made then it would be the longer one to account for removal of a factory base with maybe a short base offered on a case by case basis. 

Prototyping should start sometime this week so if there are any other ideas or concerns please feel free to voice them. 

Glad to hear that, "new & improved" can bite you (us) in the butt more time than not.

AFA the length issue, if you stick with the long version maybe you can include dimensions for the user as to what they can cut it down to ??

• 5 weeks later...

I apologize for the long delay it took a while to get tooling and get the machines spun up alongside some other things but I finally have the first few prototypes cut and in hand. 

As suggested, there is a 1/16" solid dowel pin at the rear of the sight and a 5-40 set screw in the front to retain the blade. It appears to work out very well - there is no play in the front sight at all and it is still quick to change out with minimal hassle. It should also eliminate the sight getting knocked out on barricades, holsters, etc. 

I will share more pictures when the bases are bead blasted and installed in the barrel but for now at least there are two of the base itself below. 

2 hours ago, Lee9476 said:

As long as it has the same attachment as the Smith and Wesson “quick change” DX sight then yes. The blade in the pictures is a Dawson Precision 

The difference is the length of the Blade, The SDM Blade is close to twice as long as a Dawson, but the Foot is the same size.  So from looking at it I'd expect the SDM to fit, but cover the screw hole.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

How much will those cost?

I expect these will sell around the $45 price point but that isn’t definite yet. 

26 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

The difference is the length of the Blade, The SDM Blade is close to twice as long as a Dawson, but the Foot is the same size.  So from looking at it I'd expect the SDM to fit, but cover the screw hole.

I will have to check when I get back to work on Monday, I completely forgot the SDM was that much longer I was only thinking about the foot. I expect it will fit with no problems but I’ll measure to be sure. 

16 hours ago, Lee9476 said:

I expect these will sell around the $45 price point but that isn’t definite yet. 

I will have to check when I get back to work on Monday, I completely forgot the SDM was that much longer I was only thinking about the foot. I expect it will fit with no problems but I’ll measure to be sure. 

I never liked the look of the SDM because of its length.

22 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Can you use an SDM Super Sight in it ?

Forgot to say "looks nice" also, thanks for thinking about us revo guys

Now if we could just get someone to make an affordable replacement rear sight 🤔

(I know the Rough Country is out there but I never see them in stock and not a big fan of the LPA,

and I also realize affordable anything these days is asking a lot)

I did check quickly and without having an SDM in hand it’s impossible to give 100% confirmation but it should fit. The length of the flat on the base is 1.1” long and the SDM should be 1” long. The only think I’m concerned about is because the fixed point in my base is in the rear it may have the tiniest overhang over the end of the flat. 

What kind of rear sight are people looking for? I have an LPA on a 686 and it’s nice but I wouldn’t buy one again. Is the Rough Country a good solution? Or what about the blade replacement only sights I’ve seen? I’ve never handled anything but the LPA problem in person. 

Edited by Lee9476

12 hours ago, ysrracer said:

From the back of the gun it looks GREAT to me :)

Yes, but then I don't like the "blob" look of the FO, I prefer one that is countersunk.  When it's not it's harder for me to see the outline of the FS on those harder shots.  But hey I'm an old cranky guy, many do like that extra brightness the longer rod gives.

1 hour ago, Lee9476 said:

I did check quickly and without having an SDM in hand it’s impossible to give 100% confirmation but it should fit. The length of the flat on the base is 1.1” long and the SDM should be 1” long. The only think I’m concerned about is because the fixed point in my base is in the rear it may have the tiniest overhang over the end of the flat. 

What kind of rear sight are people looking for? I have an LPA on a 686 and it’s nice but I wouldn’t buy one again. Is the Rough Country a good solution? Or what about the blade replacement only sights I’ve seen? I’ve never handled anything but the LPA problem in person. 

I have both the Rough Country and The Wiegand rear blade. Both work fine.

• 1 hour ago, Lee9476 said:
    • What kind of rear sight are people looking for? I have an LPA on a 686 and it’s nice but I wouldn’t buy one again. Is the Rough Country a good solution? Or what about the blade replacement only sights I’ve seen? I’ve never handled anything but the LPA problem in person. 

I asked this question and now I think maybe this should go to a new thread ??

But, to answer your question, the Rough Country looks great but every time I look they are sold out, that may tell you their price point is too low and they can't afford to make them.

A replacement blade might be the way to go but offer the screw replacement.

Always loved the Millets, size, shape.

Edited by 10mmdave

• 2 years later...

Last time he was on the forum was Dec. 1, 2023. If no one can contact him, I can rustle one up. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so we need to see if he's still around first. I made a few for myself, but didn't plan to sell them. If Lee isn't going to do them any more, I can let go of one or two.

Edited by Toolguy