Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Would You Rather?

PistolPete

I'm thinking of building a race gun and since I have an SV Limited gun I thought I would just get a race gun that is somewhat similiar to it. Then, I came accross the Brazos race gun built on an STI frame. What a sick gun!!!! If you were to buy one or the other which would it be and why?

Thanks,

Pete

I like the IMM guns, but the brazos guns are phat. But so many really good smiths on these forum.

You have radical precision, beddell, and others that can all build you the top of the line blaster you are looking for.

If SV and Brazos are the only 2 you are looking at and there is no price or time limit. I'd go with the SV. I personally like the style and look of the SV over the STI. A non hybrid barrel with their 4 chamber Yanek comp makes for a sweet open gun.

However if I did order a SV I'd order 2 simply because of how long the wait can be if you have to send it back for repairs , where Bob is usually very quick about repairs.

Edited by JRBean

Tough choice, don't know much on either as I have only owned my STI (used) a few months now.

There are a lot of top smiths building very nice guns, but I have had the chance to handle the stuff from Brazos as he comes to the Area 2 Desert Classic. He builds nice stuff and is great to talk with.

But the same is said about the many others who participate here on the forums.

Go with the Brazos. Bob is an extremely talented gunsmith who stands behind his work. If it ever needs to be repaired, Bob will take care of you fast. SV will put you in line behind everything else, you might see the pistol several months later. Only one choice in my opinion.

Erik

I have a Pro Sx on a SV frame, the best of both worlds, Bob will build it, he just prefers to deal with STI. I've dealt with ALOT of smiths with anywhere from dismal to barely acceptable results, Brazos custom was a new experience for me I HIGHLY recommend them.

Let me throw a twist to what several have already said - you want to be able to talk and work with the actual person that will build your gun and will actually work on it later.

I would even "interview" them before you gave them your business. If you will notice, several people are not only commenting on Bob's work but commenting on him personally. But the one area not commented on yet is his style.....not all guns are alike (granted the difference might be negligible to some), but there are reasons for these differences. So talk to these guys and make sure what you like is what they will and will NOT do to your gun. When all is said and done, as one of my earlier gunsmiths told me, you are almost married to that guy as long as you shooting their gun. :)

Now while CNC machines and higher quality parts have eliminate a majority of the reasons for these monogamous relationships, the point is still valid today - you are going to have to be able to work with and enjoy working with your gunsmith in order to get all the little things done that you want and have them done the way you want.

I can take a picture with my digital camera, and I can download it to my computer, but I have no idea how to properly size it and post it/host it. Just go to the Brazos web site and you'll get the general idea. I think Sam has a picture of my Brazos with the fiber optic insert melted and warped after shooting the ITRC.

I haven't had extensive interactions with Bob. Bought a Limited gun, it runs, it's purty, it's more accurate than I am, why would I bother a genius at work?. Ditto for the open gun. I keep waiting for something to break, but nothing so far.

I can't say that Bob builds the best guns in the world, because I don't have a safe full of EGW's, Kodiak's, Bedell's, etc, etc, to compare. But I'll trade away about all the guns I own before I part with the Brazos guns. Sorry about the pics.

Let me throw a twist to what several have already said - you want to be able to talk and work with the actual person that will build your gun and will actually work on it later.

I would even "interview" them before you gave them your business. If you will notice, several people are not only commenting on Bob's work but commenting on him personally. But the one area not commented on yet is his style.....not all guns are alike (granted the difference might be negligible to some), but there are reasons for these differences. So talk to these guys and make sure what you like is what they will and will NOT do to your gun. When all is said and done, as one of my earlier gunsmiths told me, you are almost married to that guy as long as you shooting their gun. :)

Now while CNC machines and higher quality parts have eliminate a majority of the reasons for these monogamous relationships, the point is still valid today - you are going to have to be able to work with and enjoy working with your gunsmith in order to get all the little things done that you want and have them done the way you want.

Best post of this thread.

Oh yeah. Another vote for a Brazos.

I have ordered some stuff from SVI. The service was friendly. They answered my e-mail fast but delivered the goods slowly.

So if I would like to have whole new gun it would be Brazos or some other good gunsmith in this forum which I would get along fine. B)