Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glasses Set up for Old Guy CO Shooter

Smitty79

When I was shooting production, I used glasses with my dominant eye focused on the front sight and my other eye focused on infinity.     When I went to CO, I went to both eyes at infinity.    This works great for shooting.    But not so well for ROing and running the pad.    I don't need a huge correction for distance vision and I can read a news paper and thread most needles without glasses on at all.    I am tempted to get a set of shooting glasses that has my dominant eye on infinity and my other eye with some, but not complete close vision correction.    I don't expect it impact my shooting.   But will make me more functional in other functions.

Has anyone tried this?   How did it work?    Any other ideas?

9 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

When I was shooting production, I used glasses with my dominant eye focused on the front sight and my other eye focused on infinity.     When I went to CO, I went to both eyes at infinity.    This works great for shooting.    But not so well for ROing and running the pad.    I don't need a huge correction for distance vision and I can read a news paper and thread most needles without glasses on at all.    I am tempted to get a set of shooting glasses that has my dominant eye on infinity and my other eye with some, but not complete close vision correction.    I don't expect it impact my shooting.   But will make me more functional in other functions.

I suggest that you give our resident eye doctor a PM. He has helped quite a few members with their vision problems and questions.

https://forums.brianenos.com/profile/22108-youngeyes/

23 hours ago, AHI said:

Try your every day prescription. You may be surprised as to how well it works. I tried all the special set ups . Every one of them had issues.

I have no idea why I didn't think of this.  Thanks.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, Smitty79 said:

Yes.  It does not work.  I got a severe eye ache from that eye constantly trying to focus.

My suggestion is to use your glasses set up for distance, and then get some of the stick on diopters used to make regular glasses into bifocals.  They are soft and you can easily cut them down to whatever size you want.  They start out regular bifocal size which is too large IMO.  You don't want to limit your field of vision while running.  BTW, there is no rule that says they have to be on both lenses.  You only have to be able to work the pad or examine a problematic hit on a target.

I had my glasses made with my normal progressive script but my optometrist moved it higher in the lens so I can still keep my head down rather than have to look thru the bottom of my glasses (head up) with my normal glasses.  Pretty easy to get used to with open sights and when using a dot not even a second thought.  You just have to get used to shifting your head when using the IPAD..

Edited by NoSteel

You have options. The reason you can't get a good result with glasses using on eye for distance and one for near, is that you are dealing with an image size problem. If the eyes are seeing two different size images the brain can't put them together. You are better off getting fit with contact lenses. No image size problem. I have found that the best solution with shooting glasses is to put a bifocal lens on the top for your dominant eye. This way you just need to drop your head slightly to see your sights. The prescription must be set to the distance that you will be seeing your sights.  NoSteel's idea is good but would require you to get used to a progressive lens. That would require full time wear off the range. I don't think that you are ready for that yet. Find a doctor that shoots for more ideas. 

52 minutes ago, Youngeyes said:

I have found that the best solution with shooting glasses is to put a bifocal lens on the top for your dominant eye.

The OP is shooting CO, so the bifocals go on the bottom.  Lens at the top is what I did for Limited.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

The OP is shooting CO, so the bifocals go on the bottom.  Lens at the top is what I did for Limited.

Good point

25 minutes ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I shoot my dot gun target focus so the bifocal is the smallest possible and on the bottom anf I do not use the bifocals for shooting. The dot appears "normal" with my distance vision/target focus. When I focus on the dot using the near vision bifocals the dot looks distorted.

All red dot, holo, and scopes are set at optical infinity. If you don't need a distance correction, you don't need an rx for shooting. 

22 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

You have options. The reason you can't get a good result with glasses using on eye for distance and one for near, is that you are dealing with an image size problem. If the eyes are seeing two different size images the brain can't put them together. You are better off getting fit with contact lenses. No image size problem. I have found that the best solution with shooting glasses is to put a bifocal lens on the top for your dominant eye. This way you just need to drop your head slightly to see your sights. The prescription must be set to the distance that you will be seeing your sights.  NoSteel's idea is good but would require you to get used to a progressive lens. That would require full time wear off the range. I don't think that you are ready for that yet. Find a doctor that shoots for more ideas. 

You are correct.  As I do wear a progressive script daily the only change with my shooting glasses is the position of my head.  Not really needed with a dot but very helpful with open sights for me.  As you indicated,  having someone who is willing to work with you is a huge advantage.  I brought an Airsoft 2011 in with me and we worked with that.  It really is an individual thing.   Prior to this I tried script Rudy inserts,  stick on RX corrections strong eye only and also a set with bifocals at the top.  Switching to what I have now works best for me..

On 12/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, Smitty79 said:

I don't need a huge correction for distance vision and I can read a news paper and thread most needles without glasses on at all.  

Sounds like my eyes. 

I swap to non corrected shooting glasses when I'm on deck and put the trifocals back on when I have finished shooting the stage.

Someone once made the point to me that your eyes can not be focused on two different distances at the same time regardless of how good your vision is, so every iron sight shooter is either shooting at the fuzzy thing (front sight focus) or with the fuzzy front sight (target focus). I recognize that focus with an optic is a bit different but you may find that your hits are not any less accurate (my case) if you shoot at the center of the fuzzy thing instead of the center of the clear thing. 

39 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Someone once made the point to me that your eyes can not be focused on two different distances at the same time regardless of how good your vision is

That is only true if your eyes are normal.  My left eye is normal and I have 20/15 vision in it.  My right eye has retina problems.  It had a tear that was welded with a laser.  It also has a pucker in the center.  Both distorted the shape of the retina.  The pucker makes the center of vision blurry.  When I close one eye, the left sees a sharp image.  With the left closed my right sees a much larger, closer image.  With both eyes open my brain synthesizes a sharp image in between.  I think that works because I don't have a dominant eye.