Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mamba, Kraken, or CWA?

BentAero

I'm just the opposite of Jim.  I like the optic mounted as far forward as practical.  It makes me faster, because the field of view is narrower.  I follow Max Michael's suggestion on closer targets.  If you see white, pull the trigger.  It also helps if your dot has parallax.  All of them do to some extent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, jrdoran said:

I'm on the fence w/the mamba-x vs traditional mamba with rail.  Reasoning is freedom of ability to mount optic fore / aft.  With the mamba-x pre-drilled, you only get a single position for such as c-more slide ride.   Probably not an issue for most, but I'm partial to having my optic closer to the rear of the gun than most. 

PS, current VQ Scorpion runs HV and SV.  I prefer SV

@BentAero+1 on the VoltKrak

Our beloved Slideride's are getting a bit long in the tooth. On a rifle it's it so bad, but on a pistol, they have a huge footprint, they're heavy -especially it you are using the railway mount, not as bright as newer competitors, and they eat batteries.

Since there are now multiple choices for lightweight, durable, large window optics, with super bright dots, I'm slowly moving away from the traditional C-More optic.

The Mamba X allows for three mounting positions of new style (RTS2/SRO/FTP, etc) optics; forward, middle, and rear.

On 12/31/2021 at 12:21 AM, BentAero said:

Our beloved Slideride's are getting a bit long in the tooth. On a rifle it's it so bad, but on a pistol, they have a huge footprint, they're heavy -especially it you are using the railway mount, not as bright as newer competitors, and they eat batteries.

Since there are now multiple choices for lightweight, durable, large window optics, with super bright dots, I'm slowly moving away from the traditional C-More optic.

The Mamba X allows for three mounting positions of new style (RTS2/SRO/FTP, etc) optics; forward, middle, and rear.

I typically run an 8MOA and sometimes 12MOA dot with my SC guns.  Do any of those optics allow for a large MOA dot ?      I'm open to the idea of moving on from the slide ride, but the interchangeable dot modules and flexibility seem to still be above the others from what I have seen,

16 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

Did you buy the Mamba-X upper as a standalone part or as a complete pistol?

I bought the X upper, bolt, and magazines as standalone parts from Steve Foster; he's a Volquartsen dealer. creeksidecustomlasering@gmail.com

Edited by BentAero

12 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I typically run an 8MOA and sometimes 12MOA dot with my SC guns.  Do any of those optics allow for a large MOA dot ?      I'm open to the idea of moving on from the slide ride, but the interchangeable dot modules and flexibility seem to still be above the others from what I have seen,

Phil makes the Alpha 3 dots in 6 and 8 moa (I have one of each) and occasionally has them in 10 moa, but you would likely have to wait on the next batch to arrive to get a 10.

Shoot him an email at sales@fasttoys.net

15 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I've had great luck with the RTS2.  I have run the 8 and 10 MOA.  Both are great.

I'm considering getting a Mamba-X upper and using it alongside my Black Mamba irons upper on the same lower with the same bolt.  Aside from the inconvenience factor, is there a technical reason why that's a bad idea?

Edited by apoc4lypse

10 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

I'm considering getting a Mamba-X upper and using it alongside my Black Mamba irons upper on the same lower with the same bolt.  Aside from the inconvenience factor, is there a technical reason why that's a bad idea?

Lots of people do that. Though it's a bit pricey, having another bolt that could remain in the X upper would allow you to switch the entire upper assembly in seconds (assuming you're using the push-button Ruger lower) without getting your hands nasty.

21 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

Then you'll have to run to the safe table every time you switch.  Two complete guns is the answer.

6 hours ago, zzt said:

Then you'll have to run to the safe table every time you switch.  Two complete guns is the answer.

Is there a rule that prevents you from doing the swap during the "make ready" command, assuming it is done safely and without sweeping yourself?

Regardless I probably wouldn't make a habit of shooting both RFPI and RFPO in the same match.  If limited to two guns per flight I prefer to do RF pistol followed by CF pistol, shooting either optics or irons on both. 

But I was concerned that the bolt and upper would break-in together, which could be affected by swapping the bolt to a different upper.  Kind of the way using a single BCG is not recommended between AR-15 uppers.

27 minutes ago, apoc4lypse said:

Is there a rule that prevents you from doing the swap during the "make ready" command, assuming it is done safely and without sweeping yourself?

Yes.  It falls under unsafe gun handling.  That being said, I RO'd one match where the MD gave a competitor permission to swap out Iron and optic uppers on his PCC, since it took only seconds to make the switch.  Otherwise I would have told him to go to the Safety Area.

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

Yes.  It falls under unsafe gun handling.  That being said, I RO'd one match where the MD gave a competitor permission to swap out Iron and optic uppers on his PCC, since it took only seconds to make the switch.  Otherwise I would have told him to go to the Safety Area.

Interesting.  I would think that if anything, it would be allowed for a rimfire handgun as it would take less time than with a PCC and there is less risk of wayward muzzles.  Though flags aren't required for RF handguns, you could even do it with a flag in the chamber, unlike with a PCC where the flag would most likely need to be removed to remove the upper.

2 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

I think there is also a rule about shooting back-to-back on same stage.

This is only for level 2 and 3 matches, BUT the MD can determine the shooting sequence as long as it's done prior to the start of the match and the competitors are informed. sec 8.4.2 and 8.4.3 , at all lower level matches.

Edited by mchapman

I have a friend that recently bought a CWA for SC competition. He can not shoot a full clip without a jam no matter what ammo he uses, which he was told should be HV only. He was also told that he needs to run 500 to 1000 rounds through the gun to "break it in". BS. I have had many guns built for SC that worked great right off the bench. Again, it's  buyer beware.  

1 hour ago, revolver45 said:

He can not shoot a full clip...

You mean magazine, right?

Did your friend contact Chet? My brother and I both have CWA top ends and they run pretty much flawlessly, occasionally stalling on some ammo but even that is uncommon.

Edited by lgh
Additional

1 hour ago, revolver45 said:

I have a friend that recently bought a CWA for SC competition. He can not shoot a full clip without a jam no matter what ammo he uses, which he was told should be HV only.

What mag is he using.  If not the GSG 1911 mags, there can be issues.  If using Advantage or other plastic mags, the feed lips have to be modified to clear the ramp on the CWA barrel.  It doesn't take much to screw it up.  Then there is the receiver.  CWA conversions are meant to run on 45ACP receivers.  While I've heard they will run on some 9mm receivers, I haven't seen it.  The ejector gets in the way.

FWIW, mine ran 100% from day one.  I don't believe you need a break-in period unless you are trying to run SV ammo.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

What mag is he using.  If not the GSG 1911 mags, there can be issues. 

This. My brother and I run GSG. And if you have a feeding problem in a 1911, always, always, always try changing mags. Always.

1 hour ago, lgh said:

You mean magazine, right?

Did your friend contact Chet? My brother and I both have CWA top ends and they run pretty much flawlessly, occasionally stalling on some ammo but even that is uncommon.

Really? Clip or magazine, my friends gun is a complete CWA with the GSG "magazines" and yes, he was told that by CWA. 

3 hours ago, revolver45 said:

Really? Clip or magazine, my friends gun is a complete CWA with the GSG "magazines" and yes, he was told that by CWA. 

With some many posts about how well they run, your friend should not suffer.  Have him call Chet and tell him he is having problems and wants him to make it right.  For the money he spent he deserves a 100% gun.

I knew going in that my CWA might need a break in period.  It would suck to find that out once it was delivered, but Chet is pretty clear on this and it states it on his paperwork.  It took the full 800rds before it ran 100%.  

I have to be honest @revolver45.  Your post bothers me.  It's not buyer beware.  Maybe buyer be educated.  And if you are spending that kind of cash, and waiting months for a custom pistol, I do recommend knowing fully what you are getting into.  If he breaks it in, as advertised, shoots HV ammo, and it still doesn't work, than I can see 'buyer beware'...  If he didn't want a gun that was going to require a break-in period and prefers HV ammo, buy something else.  For me, it was well worth it and I enjoyed breaking it in.  I felt like I needed that amount of rounds through it before I wanted to bring it to a competition anyway.

I guess by this logic, it's buyer beware on my Glock 43.  I bought it and it won't fire 45acp.