Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in gen 5 with titegroup

Dusty

Just got a Glock 19 and was fixing to start loading some 124 fp from RMR. Have some titegroup on hand so I figured I would start with that. I was planning on starting at 4.2gr.  As I was checking the overall length I realized that the oal was going to be shorter than what’s on hodgdon’s website. Looks like I will have to go to 1.10 to get them to plunk good. Will this be short enough that I will need to reduce my starting charge?

Are the bullets coated, plated, or jacketed?  4.2 of TG seems a bit on the high side with a 124gr projectile. But , then again, my Glock barrels are 4.5-6 inches. I tend to stay in the 3.5-4.0 gr range depending on bullet type. I’ve loaded Precision coated RN down to 1.05” and Montana Gold and Precision Delta JHP at 1.08”. 

4.2gr of titegroup yielded 1100fps with the 124gr jacketed flat point. 
I started working a load up for the 125gr jhp from Rmr. Oal length had to go down to 1.050 to pass the plunk test in my Gen 5, Glock 19. Only problem was, by the time I got it seated deep enough, it was causing a bulge at the base of the bullet. It will still pass the plunk test.

AC0BE83A-DE54-48CC-B765-B37321DD7C4E.jpeg

The short throats drive me nuts. I'm reaming every 9 I get from here on, it seems unreasonable that ammo *far* shorter than saami spec doesnt chamber. So far, I'm getting quotes for about $50 to have it done, which seems extremely reasonable to resolve this problem forever.

I don't like having to work around factory data. If the book says my data point is at 1.125", its kind of sketchy when a gun requires me to stuff it down to 1.090". 

4 hours ago, OnePivot said:

The short throats drive me nuts. I'm reaming every 9 I get from here on, it seems unreasonable that ammo *far* shorter than saami spec doesnt chamber. So far, I'm getting quotes for about $50 to have it done, which seems extremely reasonable to resolve this problem forever.

I don't like having to work around factory data. If the book says my data point is at 1.125", its kind of sketchy when a gun requires me to stuff it down to 1.090". 

“the book” 😁

What if I told you OAL was nearly irrelevant compared to case volume?

5 hours ago, OnePivot said:

If the book says my data point is at 1.125", its kind of sketchy when a gun requires me to stuff it down to 1.090". 

So instead you change one of the critical dimensions (as established by the design of the pistol) of your barrel?

It's why loads are worked up, not taken straight from the middle or top end.

I haven't found a factory loading that won't chamber in any of my CZs or Glocks, so their shorter throats don't seem to be a problem for ammo manufacturers.

Come to think of it I don't recall a single reload of mine (rifle, pistol, or shotgun) that didn't deviate in at least some small way from the "book"

Edited by SGT_Schultz

just started using titegroup with rmr 124 gr fmj bullets.  the  3.8grain load worked well but did not eject properly in a 1911 recently( could be that  guns recoil spring)> I am thinking that  3.9 gr-4.0 gr is the way to go.

hodgdon  lists  3.6  - a max of 4.1 gr for a 124 gr  bullet like the rmr

3 minutes ago, boatdoc173 said:

just started using titegroup with rmr 124 gr fmj bullets.  the  3.8grain load worked well but did not eject properly in a 1911 recently( could be that  guns recoil spring)> I am thinking that  3.9 gr-4.0 gr is the way to go.

hodgdon  lists  3.6  - a max of 4.1 gr for a 124 gr  bullet like the rmr

Is that for their plated or jacketed?

OnePivot:  I have throated lots of CZ and Tanfoglios, but haven't tried it with a Gen5 barrel yet.  Please update with your success or failure with that.  I will do the same, if I get to one first.  I may have to find a "take-off" OEM barrel just to try this.  I never would have tried on an older Tenifered Glock because of their hardness, but maybe now?

A friend has been working a similar problem all weekend.  He's using the 100 grain Atlanta Arms Steel Challenge load in a newer G45.  It's jamming relatively frequently (failure to chamber fully).  I recommended that he try a plunk test on a couple of boxes, thinking that there may be slightly-bulged cases causing the problem.  He did so and culled out a few rounds.  He inked them up to find the interference and it was not bulged cases; it was the bullet's ogive hitting the rifling.  A thou or two variance in OAL was enough to cause the issue.

Edited by Braxton1

5 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

“the book” 😁

What if I told you OAL was nearly irrelevant compared to case volume?

Since you can't change case volume without also changing oal with the same bullet, I'd say they're the same and neither are irrelevant.

I'm not using hp's with rn data. That's when you run into short oals with the same volume. I'm talking about avoiding running the internal volume too small. 

[Quote]

So instead you change one of the critical dimensions (as established by the design of the pistol) of your barrel?

[/Quote]

Yes. I also think you're overstating how critical that dimension is.

This is a common cut for 9major guns. Pistols firing massively overpressure rounds don't have a problem changing this dimension. 

It's not some hair brained mod i came up with, I'm just suggesting doing a very common throating to bring barrels a little closer to the longer end of saami spec. 

With the same bullet.. yes. 

But that’s not what’s specifically being discussed here. 

If profile “A” loads to 1.09” to plunk and has “x” case volume..

and profile “B” can be loaded to 1.15” to plunk and has the same case volume…

both are acceptable loads. 

Y’all get so wrapped around the axle on min OAL… when the profile/bullet in your book ain’t even the same.. it’s “similar”. 

There’s nothing wrong with loading to 1.05” if that’s what the profile requires and it doesn’t create overpressure. 

There’s also nothing wrong with throating a barrel… but I think many people do it for the wrong reasons (i.e. just to fit a random bullet profile at an OAL they think they must hit). 

147 TC blue bullet or RMR 147 match TC   1.110 OAL   with TG, CFE, or American select in Gen 5 34"s   zero issues from 120 to 135 PF loads  plunk perfect  like stated above just load what the pistol wants for oal   ( these 147's have nearly the exact same profile so oal the same)

Edited by Sinister4