Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It seems strange

Cases without bullets are crimped, bullets seated too deep, looks like a train wreck. Time for a tune up? I don’t own a Dillon but that’s what I’m seeing. 

Edited by Farmer

8 hours ago, Daniele said:

Ciao from Italy where 9 is x 21 not x19.

I made a little upgrade to XL650, 1 more post, sizer, powder drop, powder check, bullet feeder, bullet seater and finally crimp. 

Nice upgrade!  So you're using the extra station for bullet feeder, if I understand correctly.  Any issues/concerns with this setup?

The idea seemed good, it works,BUT as you can see from the picture I was forced to use a LEE Autodrum powder measure mounted on a rise. Also the powder checker is Double Alpha. Not much space in the head:  dies must be screwed in a mandatory order.

Other "strange" thing is the sizer die: it is an italian modified LEE factory crimp  while the bullet feeder is an italian RVB

XL660Headrid.jpg

Edited by Daniele

Buongiorno Daniele,

Now that's something you don't see everyday. 🙂

(How) did you modify the indexing of the shell plate? And how do you get a case out of the shell plate if needed?

And using a modified Lee FCD for sizing? I have been reloading for 28 years now but never heard of that before. Obvious question is, why?

Kind rgds from the Netherlands,

RGA

I did not change the indexing: I kept the priming post as 0°, sizer is at - 30° ( - 36° in the unmodified XL650) powder measure is at +30°.

So 60° between dies instead of 72°. Not easy to get a case out of shell plate. Using the LEE FCD as a sizer "can" help to get correctly sized 9x21 cases.