New P320 Thumb rest..

Rich406

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice attempt, but the issue I see with this is the position.  The thumb presses down on the far END of the takedown lever's rotation arm or "Flag" for this model, as to force rotation of the takedown lever a little bit. Not rock solid, since it moves the guide rod a little askew during firing, and the inner overtravel rotational nub rubs up against the slide. Try forcing your existing lever to rotate and you'll see. Could see it slowing the slide through friction and possibly inducing a failure with a dirty gun.   With enough force, might even rotate all the way in the takedown notch of the slide when the slide recoils all the way to the rear. Also it is so far back as to have the thumb in the air. I've seen better solutions that are coming to market.

Edited by Ergos

Had a buddy email me a picture of the item I was referring to. It's Align Tactical's newest part that they took to the local ranges here and let people try out, so sneaking the pic that is going around from shooters who were told it should go on sale next month.  Drooling since I love my Offset Mag releases and this is another great design that looks fricken awesome! Best position, being more forward for natural thumb placement and increased leverage to fight muzzle flip with a lower profile design. Their ledge is center-lined with the axis of rotation, so it applies even pressure and no rotational force. I'm on their mailing list for the moment it goes on sale!

IMG_4300.jpg

Nice design! It makes sense. Better than AC’s sports take down lever. 

I wonder how wide the ledge is. Is it machined or MIMed? Does the other side have any slot or hex for removal upon breakage?

Edited by jaep1911

4 hours ago, Ergos said:

Had a buddy email me a picture of the item I was referring to. It's Align Tactical's newest part that they took to the local ranges here and let people try out, so sneaking the pic that is going around from shooters who were told it should go on sale next month.  Drooling since I love my Offset Mag releases and this is another great design that looks fricken awesome! Best position, being more forward for natural thumb placement and increased leverage to fight muzzle flip with a lower profile design. Their ledge is center-lined with the axis of rotation, so it applies even pressure and no rotational force. I'm on their mailing list for the moment it goes on sale!

IMG_4300.jpg

I like that! Do they have a website?

Edited by mrvip27

Yeah, their website is https://www.aligntactical.com and there is a Contact page where they are quick to respond with answers.  They said the takedown lever is made stronger than other products on the market because they are using Hardened S7 Tool Steel. Compared to stainless which competitors are machining and many of which are not even hardened. Their existing mag releases are made in Texas on the same production line Sig uses to make the military M17/M18/P320 parts to spec, so they can have tight tolerances and keep the price affordable, like less than half the price of the part the OP put in the first post (No way I'd pay $135 bucks...) so around $60 is more like it!  Said that CNC will be used for parts that require it and different products will use different steels and hardness requirements, so nothing appears to be universal between firearm parts.  In regards to a hex or slot for breakage, what they said is that it is typically seen on weaker steels and the biggest issue is when low spring weights are used, because 12 lbs and under batter the crap out of takedown levers, so they recommend sticking with 14 lb springs or higher unless you want to make any part potentially replaceable since the safety channel is the weak link in Sig's design. I did see that GoGuns mentions their machined 17-4 cracks a lot in the FAQ page, so makes sense and was something that kept me away from it, that and the looks... Regarding the question on how far it sticks out, hard to tell from only one picture but for reference was told it sticks out far enough to get 2/3 of a typical thumb, so your millage may vary. Well, checks all the boxes for me and looks like it belongs on the pistol. 👍

Edited by Ergos
typo

6 hours ago, Ergos said:

Yeah, their website is https://www.aligntactical.com and there is a Contact page where they are quick to respond with answers.  They said the takedown lever is made stronger than other products on the market because they are using Hardened S7 Tool Steel. Compared to stainless which competitors are machining and many of which are not even hardened. Their existing mag releases are made in Texas on the same production line Sig uses to make the military M17/M18/P320 parts to spec, so they can have tight tolerances and keep the price affordable, like less than half the price of the part the OP put in the first post (No way I'd pay $135 bucks...) so around $60 is more like it!  Said that CNC will be used for parts that require it and different products will use different steels and hardness requirements, so nothing appears to be universal between firearm parts.  In regards to a hex or slot for breakage, what they said is that it is typically seen on weaker steels and the biggest issue is when low spring weights are used, because 12 lbs and under batter the crap out of takedown levers, so they recommend sticking with 14 lb springs or higher unless you want to make the part potentially replaceable since the safety channel is the weak link in Sig's design. I did see that GoGuns mentions their machined 17-4 cracks a lot in the FAQ page, so makes sense and was something that kept me away from it, that and the looks... Regarding the question on how far it sticks out, hard to tell from only one picture but for reference was told it sticks out far enough to get 2/3 of a typical thumb, so your millage may very. Well, checks all the boxes for me and looks like it belongs on the pistol. 👍

So you have to run the 14 huh? What do we do with our ammo if we like the 12 😅😅

“Use 14+ lbs” is a statement for their warranty. Many competitors use a weaker spring, accepting a risk. Knowing the risk, a nice touch in my opinion is to design it with a feature for “unfortunate breakage”. I use a gg pedal and understand it is a PITA to remove the piece opposite side of the pedal. Some people create a slot on that end of the lever when brand new, which voids the warranty :) 

Totally agree, though I can see where manufacturers would be hesitant to cut a slot into their product saying "Use this feature for when our stuff breaks" as that doesn't inspire confidence from any shooters, especially those who don't tune loads to springs. Even so, with the formula 1 race pistol shooters, I know hardened tool steel that is designed for shock and costs more, certainly inspires a lot more confidence with me than just stainless so I'd be fine shooting it with 12 lb spring all day long. I may be wrong but those few seeing breakage, were they using mouse fart loads tuned to just cycle that low of poundage, so that the slide isn't accelerating warp speed to smack into the slide stop? I'd think a properly tuned load that fails to cycle 14-15 lbs would not be as harsh on the gun, but someone would have to try it and report back. Either way, I heard the boiler plate and still more confident in the proper materials and hardness for the job, so should last way longer than the other parts on the market. If I can afford to put 10-15k rounds in it, not a big deal to replace a cheap part when the spring wears out. Which by the way, those 12 lb springs wear out much faster and drop to 10 or less in short order, so perhaps those who broke the factory or GoGuns versions could test their current spring poundage and chime in what the real weight is showing?

Yeah, I wondered the same and have no details on that one. They would have to either make one themselves or just talk to any number of the million holster makers popping up that would be happy to step up to the plate in short order. Btw, grass petal is a catchy trademark that a certain company made a huge stink about on a forum when applied to anything that wasn't theirs, so thumb rest is the universal reference we need to jump on with these.

8 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

But will it fit in any holsters. These gas pedals are cool, yet if they only work in open style holsters their not useful in uspsa. 

I have the non - generic "thumb rest generic" on my Legion, and it fit fine in a Red Hill Tactical holster.  

Edited by LMS

• 6 months later...

Thread's been quiet for a bit, anyone got to play with one?  I'm not a fan of the thumb rest [generic] version or the Align.  I have smaller hands and then way I grip the gun means my thumb barely touches the end of the takedown lever... so I get zero leverage/placement on the "shelf."  This one appears to fix that issue. I'd be happy to drop money a custom holster for it.

2 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

Thread's been quiet for a bit, anyone got to play with one?  I'm not a fan of the thumb rest [generic] version or the Align.  I have smaller hands and then way I grip the gun means my thumb barely touches the end of the takedown lever... so I get zero leverage/placement on the "shelf."  This one appears to fix that issue. I'd be happy to drop money a custom holster for it.

Pops Quest on YouTube got one and modified a holster/hanger but hasn't reviewed it yet.  I have however messaged with a few people that have had good things to say.

I saw that Ghost is releasing a new holster that I think will accommodate this.  On a quick look of their website they don't yet have a P320 one however.

On 5/29/2022 at 4:00 PM, bluedevil008 said:

I have 3 aligns.  Got rid of the other one version.  So much better.  1 is for my wife who has tiny hands(think 4yr old).  Her grip is cut down to the maximum allowed and she can reach it fine. 

17 hours ago, echotango said:

I have 3 aligns.  Got rid of the other one version.  So much better.  1 is for my wife who has tiny hands(think 4yr old).  Her grip is cut down to the maximum allowed and she can reach it fine. 

How does cutting down the grip change anything for your support hand?  You're not changing the center axis of the grip because you can't move the magazine, trigger, and slide lever in relation to each other?

On 10/2/2021 at 12:04 PM, fireman1776 said:

Pretty sweet and I'd be willing to purchase one but I'd like to know if it will even work in any current holsters? 

I saw on instagram where RHT made a holster to fit. It was a custom holster though so you’d have to call. They already said they will not mass produce them but time will tell if it takes off.