Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, mpmo said:

Early feedback.  The comp model is freaking amazing and a joy to shoot.  It is my first PCC, so I can't give any type of comparisons.  It's also my first time shooting PCC.  However, I'm not quite as bad as I thought I would be.  I'm a mid-B class Carry Optics shooter but at yesterday's match, I shot 77.5% (A) on 99-21.  

I'm using my load developed for my Shadow 2.  147 FP Blue bullet, N320, 134PF.  (roll-sized, case gauged, range pickup)

Sighting it in and testing it out, the cases are basically falling out of the gun.  Had about 10 stovepipes in the first 100 rounds with standard glock 17 round mags. 

Next day practicing on a stage under the timer, 32rd glock mag, after 2 shots on steel, had the same malfunction that Max described.  A case failed to extract and ended up stuck on top of a round that was mostly into the chamber.  I needed a hook to grab the rim to extract.  

First USPSA competition yesterday. Only a single malfunction in 200rds which I believe was magazine related.  A double feed using a Glock 32rd with MBX 47rd extension.  Had to drop the mag to clear.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with cases that just fall out of the gun, at least from my pistol shooting.  That is not a recipe for reliability.  I am going to work on developing a load specifically for this gun using 115 or 124 plated.  Given the amount of build up on the comp after shooting 500 rds with the coated blues, I want to do this anyway.  

One other note, the gun is freaking quiet!  Older timer at my home club was not picking up a lot of my shots (without the RO getting close like it was a 22.)

For PCC, or this gun specifically, what type of distance should I be looking for the brass to come out of the gun?  

Just to reiterate, I believe ALL issues I've had were ammo/mag related.  I just don't think my Carry Optics 134PF load has enough umph to run the action AS IT IS SET UP.  I could reconfigure some things on the gun, but I think I'd rather just develop a load specific to it. 

135pf should cycle the JP-5, I've run one with sub power factor ammo. I would recommend you at least reach out to JP to get their insight on the issue. It could be a misaligned ejector or weak extractor.

22 hours ago, mpmo said:

Early feedback.  The comp model is freaking amazing and a joy to shoot.  It is my first PCC, so I can't give any type of comparisons.  It's also my first time shooting PCC.  However, I'm not quite as bad as I thought I would be.  I'm a mid-B class Carry Optics shooter but at yesterday's match, I shot 77.5% (A) on 99-21.  

I'm using my load developed for my Shadow 2.  147 FP Blue bullet, N320, 134PF.  (roll-sized, case gauged, range pickup)

Sighting it in and testing it out, the cases are basically falling out of the gun.  Had about 10 stovepipes in the first 100 rounds with standard glock 17 round mags. 

Next day practicing on a stage under the timer, 32rd glock mag, after 2 shots on steel, had the same malfunction that Max described.  A case failed to extract and ended up stuck on top of a round that was mostly into the chamber.  I needed a hook to grab the rim to extract.  

First USPSA competition yesterday. Only a single malfunction in 200rds which I believe was magazine related.  A double feed using a Glock 32rd with MBX 47rd extension.  Had to drop the mag to clear.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with cases that just fall out of the gun, at least from my pistol shooting.  That is not a recipe for reliability.  I am going to work on developing a load specifically for this gun using 115 or 124 plated.  Given the amount of build up on the comp after shooting 500 rds with the coated blues, I want to do this anyway.  

One other note, the gun is freaking quiet!  Older timer at my home club was not picking up a lot of my shots (without the RO getting close like it was a 22.)

For PCC, or this gun specifically, what type of distance should I be looking for the brass to come out of the gun?  

Just to reiterate, I believe ALL issues I've had were ammo/mag related.  I just don't think my Carry Optics 134PF load has enough umph to run the action AS IT IS SET UP.  I could reconfigure some things on the gun, but I think I'd rather just develop a load specific to it. 

Mine spits out cases far, anything from 131 pf minor loads to 147 pf loads with the same bullets, to duty ammo. I would estimate 9-12 feet. I ONLY shoot JHP though, no plated or coated lead. Sounds like an extractor issue, or maybe some coated material built up in the chamber area?

I am at 700 rounds without a single hiccup of any kind.

23 hours ago, mpmo said:

Contact JP. 

My JP-5 cycles that load and far, far lower power factors. 

1 hour ago, eerw said:

So did anyone really do the barrel break-in ??  :)

It is interesting, it came with a post card that described the general barrel break-in, which also referred to the manual, and it seemed to be more directed at their rifle caliber guns.  I did not see anything in the manual that mentions barrel break-in.  I could have missed it, correct me if I'm wrong.  

On 8/28/2022 at 8:13 AM, mpmo said:

Have you chronographed that load out of the JP5 to verify you're actually at 134PF or above?

Nolan

8 hours ago, Nolan said:

Have you chronographed that load out of the JP5 to verify you're actually at 134PF or above?

Nolan

I am going to try to do that this evening.  I also spoke with JP.  They asked that I run some factory ammo and see how it does.  I've got some Syntech and a few other boxes I will test with.

Side note, they said they expect the 90 locking blocks to be available in about a week and he thought they would be around $99.

The recoil is as advertised.  It’s light.  During break in, I had instances of a dead trigger only to turn it and see an empty mag. I wasn’t feeling bolt hold open.

I had one jam in the first 300 rounds.  An empty failed to clear.  It grouped 1” @ 25y with 124g American Eagle.

I won our local 2 gun completion with it last week and I’ll be shooting the PA State championship 3gun match this weekend.

I swapped out the stock, trigger, grip and safety.  Getting my CMC in took more than tin snips, I had to mill it.  The anti-walk pins needed some filing as well to get them to fit.

I had several people shoot my MBX Pro and they were quite taken at how soft and quick it was.  After one shot with the JP the MBX went up for sale.

jp.jpg

Cases now spitting 4-7ft, not a single failure.  Chrono results:

USPSA pistol reloads: Blue 147 FP, N320.  138PF in JP5 (133PF in Shadow 2)

115 Syntech: 143PF, each round chronoed at 140 or 145, nothing in between...

130 Syntech PCC: 147PF, extremely consistent.

After trying 147, 135, 124 and 115 loads. I have settled on a 115 PD JHP at 132-135 PF. That load shoots with a little kick but muzzle stays very flat. Double taps at 15 to 20 yards are very close together. That same bullet at 135-138 PF in my GMR was very good also. All coated bullets lead up the comp, so sticking with the JHP. My JP5 is the competition version. Way better than the GMR.

6 hours ago, 1911flyr said:

After trying 147, 135, 124 and 115 loads. I have settled on a 115 PD JHP at 132-135 PF. That load shoots with a little kick but muzzle stays very flat. Double taps at 15 to 20 yards are very close together. That same bullet at 135-138 PF in my GMR was very good also. All coated bullets lead up the comp, so sticking with the JHP. My JP5 is the competition version. Way better than the GMR.

Man, I need to save up for one.

My blowback PCC has been super reliable, so I don't want to sell it to fund one of these lol.

47 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

Man, I need to save up for one.

My blowback PCC has been super reliable, so I don't want to sell it to fund one of these lol.

My GMR has at least 80,000 rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. However, I’m going to sell it now that I have the JP5

Was able to get out and break in the JP5 a couple of days ago.   After the barrel was properly broken in per JPs instructions I played around with some various 9 mm loads.  Tested Everglades 124 gr RN plated, Precision Delta V2 124 gr JHP, and Rocky Mountain 124 gr JHP, and some coated Ibeji Head 147 gr RN bullets.   Everything fed fine, but as @uhmeebuh  mentioned before the dot was a lot more stable using the 147 gr bullets with a PF of around 130.  I am not a fan of Coated bullets due to lead build up in the PCC so I intend to purchase some 147 gr JHP to test at that PF to see if the results are the same in regards to dot movement.  

Some things to note:

My 124 gr loads are at a minimum PF of 135, so I may play around with some lighter loads using 124 gr bullets to see what it does in regards to dot movement.

The impulse of the 147 gr bullet was noticeably better than the 124 gr bullets which would be expected.  

The Precision Delta V2 JHP has a much more round profile at the nose of the bullet than the V1, and the Rocky Mountain JHP also have a similar round profile as the V2s.  I was having issues with Precision Delta V1 124 gr JHP and Montana Gold 124 Gr JHP feeding in the GMR 15 over the last year or so so I had ditched JHP until the new V2 became available from Precision Delta and I found as similar JHP bullet profile with the Rocky Mountain 124 gr JHP.  I will do more testing with these bullet profiles to ensure there is no feeding issues in the JP5.

An interesting platform and its a JP, so I think this thing will just run.  I am curious as to how you can tune the JP5 with the locking pieces depending on the load.  For now I intend to tune to ammo and see how successful I can be with that before tinkering with locking pieces.  

If anyone is interested in a GMR 15 with the Side Charging Receiver let me know.  

3 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Was able to get out and break in the JP5 a couple of days ago.   After the barrel was properly broken in per JPs instructions I played around with some various 9 mm loads.  Tested Everglades 124 gr RN plated, Precision Delta V2 124 gr JHP, and Rocky Mountain 124 gr JHP, and some coated Ibeji Head 147 gr RN bullets.   Everything fed fine, but as @uhmeebuh  mentioned before the dot was a lot more stable using the 147 gr bullets with a PF of around 130.  I am not a fan of Coated bullets due to lead build up in the PCC so I intend to purchase some 147 gr JHP to test at that PF to see if the results are the same in regards to dot movement.  

Some things to note:

My 124 gr loads are at a minimum PF of 135, so I may play around with some lighter loads using 124 gr bullets to see what it does in regards to dot movement.

The impulse of the 147 gr bullet was noticeably better than the 124 gr bullets which would be expected.  

The Precision Delta V2 JHP has a much more round profile at the nose of the bullet than the V1, and the Rocky Mountain JHP also have a similar round profile as the V2s.  I was having issues with Precision Delta V1 124 gr JHP and Montana Gold 124 Gr JHP feeding in the GMR 15 over the last year or so so I had ditched JHP until the new V2 became available from Precision Delta and I found as similar JHP bullet profile with the Rocky Mountain 124 gr JHP.  I will do more testing with these bullet profiles to ensure there is no feeding issues in the JP5.

An interesting platform and its a JP, so I think this thing will just run.  I am curious as to how you can tune the JP5 with the locking pieces depending on the load.  For now I intend to tune to ammo and see how successful I can be with that before tinkering with locking pieces.  

If anyone is interested in a GMR 15 with the Side Charging Receiver let me know.  

Don't forget that the buffer system is very modifiable too with springs and weights! Its almost too adjustable. Thanks for the loading data, I've seen some pretty messed up comps with coated bullets.

JP recommended I not touch the SCS at all and only play with the locking pieces....so, I ordered the 70* locking piece and I'm excited to try it with some faster loads (that I prefer but many won't/don't). 

I did take first in a local match this week and the JP ran amazingly with some hand loads. The JP5 is damn fast and the dot hardly moves.  Now, if I can only pick up the pace on my transitions...

On 9/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, uhmeebuh said:

JP recommended I not touch the SCS at all and only play with the locking pieces....so, I ordered the 70* locking piece and I'm excited to try it with some faster loads (that I prefer but many won't/don't). 

I did take first in a local match this week and the JP ran amazingly with some hand loads. The JP5 is damn fast and the dot hardly moves.  Now, if I can only pick up the pace on my transitions...

I ran the 70* locking piece and it really took the edge off the 115gr reloads but I think a 60* would be better with them.  

I also ran a box of federal 150gr syntechs and they were SO soft shooting with the 70 and ran 100%.  

2 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I ran the 70* locking piece and it really took the edge off the 115gr reloads but I think a 60* would be better with them.  

I also ran a box of federal 150gr syntechs and they were SO soft shooting with the 70 and ran 100%.  

JP's website says with the 70* it will be on the edge of running with the 130/150 syntech loads. So it makes sense why it was so soft.

12 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

JP's website says with the 70* it will be on the edge of running with the 130/150 syntech loads. So it makes sense why it was so soft.

This falls in line with how the 130 PF loads mentioned on this thread seem to be working well with the stock 80* lock piece.  It would be curious on how the dot moves with 135 PF ammo at 70* or 60* lock pieces.  

Unfortunately expensive to find out.

Edited by Boomstick303