Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

17 hours ago, chrsb said:

Any left handers shooting the steel challenge version? Took mine out today shooting factory 124 and was getting a lot of blowback and recoil wasn’t close to a 22…. Lol. 

I doubt you will ever get it that soft in reality.  The mass of the new bolt and buffer assembly is considerably lighter than the old direct blowback GMR models.  With that said you still have mass that you just do not have in a 22 that reciprocates with every shot in PCCs.  You will have to tune the gun by changing lock pieces to your ammo or tune your ammo to the lock piece which has been made pretty evident in this thread.  With PCCs you should not be tuning to impulse anyway.  You tune to stabilize the dot.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, zzt said:

I talked to one of the techs at JP about choices.  He told me all versions come with the 80 deg. lock.  I told him the primary use would be for SCSA, but I shot 144 PF 147gr ammo twice a year at falling steel shoots.  He said buy the Steel Challenge version, but change to a 70 deg. lock for the hotter ammo.  That pretty much matches what has been posted here.  80 for sub-minor, 70 for factory and 60 for hot factory.

Just ordered the 70 to try that out. I might load up some 147g and see how those do with the 80

39 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I doubt you will ever get it that soft in reality.  The mass of the new bolt and buffer assembly is considerably lighter than the old direct blowback GMR models.  With that said you still have mass that you just do not have in a 22 that reciprocates with every shot in PCCs.  You will have to tune the gun by changing lock pieces to your ammo or tune your ammo to the lock piece which has been made pretty evident in this thread.  With PCCs you should not be tuning to impulse anyway.  You tune to stabilize the dot.  

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to make up some different loads to try. I’ve never shot PCC, was surprised by the blowback I was getting in my face. 

5 minutes ago, chrsb said:

I’ve never shot PCC, was surprised by the blowback I was getting in my face. 

I have noted the ejection pattern on the JP-5 seems to be different.  In more of an upward direction where some brass is actually hitting the bottom of the mount holding the EoTech to the rail.   I was not seeing this wear pattern on the mount when mounted on my GMR15.

I cannot imagine shooting left handed with most rifles would not be fun.  

2 minutes ago, chrsb said:

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to make up some different loads to try. I’ve never shot PCC, was surprised by the blowback I was getting in my face. 

Blowback is fairly normal, especially on a straight blowback gun. After a match my right arm is always caked with carbon flakes. I can only assume its rough as a lefty. The more lock up you have the less junk will get blown at you and less felt recoil. Once you get a nice load made, try the ammo in a normal blow back PCC then compare to the JP-5, you'll see why people say its "similar" to a .22 (even though it still doesn't compare to a real .22).

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have noted the ejection pattern on the JP-5 seems to be different.  In more of an upward direction where some brass is actually hitting the bottom of the mount holding the EoTech to the rail.   I was not seeing this wear pattern on the mount when mounted on my GMR15.

I cannot imagine shooting left handed with most rifles would not be fun.  

Max just posted about this on his instagram.

He is also using super vel 115 grain at about 132pf with a 70* apparently.

4 minutes ago, AlienZ said:

I’ll look for it at Scheels. If it’s 115gr 130pf then it’s approx 1130~fps which is what mt 115gr load is approx, and it’s stupid soft and stupid accurate. 

I bet Eley is using a slightly slower powder than me (Sport Pistol). Might make a difference in impulse. 

im really happy with my load but I will tune it some more. 

Shot a match recently with a friend.  3.5gn sport pistol, 147gn Xtreme CPRN, 1.15 OAL => 131 PF.  70 degree locking piece ran flawlessly entire match.  After the match we ran one of the stages twice with the 60 degree locking piece and it was fine, but brass ejection was a little weak and sketchy.

Has anyone tried a slower powder like long shot?  (They called it far shot in the 2017 pcc load development article, so I assume that’s a potential powder choice).  For people with better technical knowledge, what would a slower powder do to this mechanism? In the gmr-15 the slower powder would theoretically produce more has to work the comp I think.

11 hours ago, Galun said:

Shot a match recently with a friend.  3.5gn sport pistol, 147gn Xtreme CPRN, 1.15 OAL => 131 PF.  70 degree locking piece ran flawlessly entire match.  After the match we ran one of the stages twice with the 60 degree locking piece and it was fine, but brass ejection was a little weak and sketchy.

Has anyone tried a slower powder like long shot?  (They called it far shot in the 2017 pcc load development article, so I assume that’s a potential powder choice).  For people with better technical knowledge, what would a slower powder do to this mechanism? In the gmr-15 the slower powder would theoretically produce more has to work the comp I think.

Even with slower powder, the comp in a 9mm PCC is barely used, if at all based on my experience with tuning with slow/fast powders. I am tempted to buy a 70-degree locking piece and try it vs the 80 it comes with. Have you tired an 80 yet?

Also, how was the recoil with the 80 vs 60?

1 hour ago, Orlandoech said:

Even with slower powder, the comp in a 9mm PCC is barely used, if at all based on my experience with tuning with slow/fast powders. I am tempted to buy a 70-degree locking piece and try it vs the 80 it comes with. Have you tired an 80 yet?

Also, how was the recoil with the 80 vs 60?

We didn’t use the 80 during the match but it would have been even more reliable since the 70 worked with low power factor ammo the entire match.  

I personally didn’t try 60 vs 80 during this match, I only shot the stage for fun after the match with the 60 and 131pf ammo.  Will have more feedback after the next match in 1.5 weeks.

Overall between the match and the practice afterwards I’d say we did 3-400 rounds with over 100 rounds with the 60 degree locking piece with 131pf ammo, and not a single failure.

6 minutes ago, Galun said:

We didn’t use the 80 during the match but it would have been even more reliable since the 70 worked with low power factor ammo the entire match.  

I personally didn’t try 60 vs 80 during this match, I only shot the stage for fun after the match with the 60 and 131pf ammo.  Will have more feedback after the next match in 1.5 weeks.

Overall between the match and the practice afterwards I’d say we did 3-400 rounds with over 100 rounds with the 60 degree locking piece with 131pf ammo, and not a single failure.

Good to know, would you use the 80 or 70 with approx 128-133pf ammo? And how much diff is the recoil would you say, even if its from 80 to 60. Just wondering if its worth buying a 70.

Thx.

11 minutes ago, Galun said:

It will be interesting how many rounds you could go through without failure with this tune.  What I mean by this if the system gets any less reliable as carbon builds up.  It seems like its and the edge per JPs information provided.

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

It will be interesting how many rounds you could go through without failure with this tune.  What I mean by this if the system gets any less reliable as carbon builds up.  It seems like its and the edge per JPs information provided.

Good question. I also wonder how much softer it is than an 80 stock, with the same load. How much diff does it make... I want to order a 70 but not sure if its even worth it as the 80 is super soft with my load so far.

My load:

• 115gr plated
  • 4.0gr Sport Pistol
  • 1.120"
  • Mixed Brass
  • Federal 100 SPP
1 hour ago, Orlandoech said:

Good to know, would you use the 80 or 70 with approx 128-133pf ammo? And how much diff is the recoil would you say, even if its from 80 to 60. Just wondering if its worth buying a 70.

Thx.

I would probably leave the 70 in it and be done with it.  But note that my experience is still limited.  I shot my friend’s gun and I just got mine. 

looking at the brass ejection pattern of the 60 in shooting my 131pf ammo, i would not trust it to be reliable over an entire match.  It worked for both of us in one stage but the brass ejection was very close, some seem to be almost like falling out.  

wasn’t really focused on recoil, it’s already very soft.  Was more focused on dot movement and there was very little.

the chrono was almost spot on compared to my gmr-15.  I am going to load up some rounds with long shot and see how it feels compared to sport pistol. Recipe is 4.2 grains 147gn 1.15 oal for around 130pf out of a gmr-15.

1 minute ago, Galun said:

I would probably leave the 70 in it and be done with it.  But note that my experience is still limited.  I shot my friend’s gun and I just got mine. 

looking at the brass ejection pattern of the 60 in shooting my 131pf ammo, i would not trust it to be reliable over an entire match.  It worked for both of us in one stage but the brass ejection was very close, some seem to be almost like falling out.  

wasn’t really focused on recoil, it’s already very soft.  Was more focused on dot movement and there was very little.

the chrono was almost spot on compared to my gmr-15.  I am going to load up some rounds with long shot and see how it feels compared to sport pistol. Recipe is 4.2 grains 147gn 1.15 oal for around 130pf out of a gmr-15.

good to know. Yea 60° is super aggressive. I’m going to order a 70° and test. Thx. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I'd be interested in the difference in dot movement between the different locks.

I just ordered a 70-degree to test with my 130pf 115gr load with both 70 and 80 locks. I will report back in a few weeks. I can tell you right now that the 80 with my load barely moves the dot, its crazy.

Edited by Orlandoech

Shot a local steel match using 70* block and Syntech 150, super soft, dot seemed consistent , but I'm still learning a lot on PCC.

Talked with a couple of JP guys and this was the combo they were liking,

said to try and keep it clean if gets dirty will get sluggish.

asked about 60* block and they said they hadn't shot it.

Have shot some Eley 124 PCC and Syntech 124 as well, both shot really nice as well , not quite as soft as the 150 syntech.

3 hours ago, eerw said:

Shot a local steel match using 70* block and Syntech 150, super soft, dot seemed consistent , but I'm still learning a lot on PCC.

Talked with a couple of JP guys and this was the combo they were liking,

said to try and keep it clean if gets dirty will get sluggish.

asked about 60* block and they said they hadn't shot it.

Have shot some Eley 124 PCC and Syntech 124 as well, both shot really nice as well , not quite as soft as the 150 syntech.

To me though...that 150 syntech is not very accurate

Edited by mrvip27