Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Automation

I know I'm not the only one curious. I'm excited to see how this effects the other autodrive options on the market. Sensors and the price is what I'm anxious to see details on.

Now if we can just get an extra station on the gray presses so bullet feeder and powder check can be used simultaneously while keeping seat and crimp separate. One can dream...

https://dillon-automation.com/

241700871_271734534561802_7569398362982710948_n.png

I can only imagine how COVID has impacted new product releases that companies had scheduled. It has in the business I work in. I went back on this forum over the past week and read a dedicated thread about the release of the XL750 and how Dillon remained tight lipped until about one week before the scheduled release. They had inventory on their shelves to support that launch. 

I then went and read several threads about the continued release delay associated with the RL1100.  I imagine that Dillon has made the decision to remain fairly tight lipped about this release because they know hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of folks will want to give this a try because it is Dillon Precision and I think Dillon wants to make certain that what they sell has been tested and re-tested.

I remember when I was waiting for the RL1100 release a guy at Dillon Precision told me they had a RL1100 in their RDE area that they had cycled one million times to understand what would wear out or break and as a result of this one million cycle run they made several improvements/changes to several key items to address what they learned.  I think Dillon is trying to do this release following a combination of the750 and the 1100 releases.  I for one understand the hundreds if not thousands of hours that go into developing, testing, re-developing, and re-testing an item before you release it for public use.  I have worked in and continue today to work as a Product Development Engineer and have for 31 years.  Think about how over 44 years Dillon has gone from a four stage (450, SD, and 550) press to the five station (650 and 750) to the eight station (1050 and 1100 formats) with rumored (a rumor I am starting myself now 😮) plans of a ten station press sometime down the road.  

Steve Dillon told me himself less about three months ago that he and his company are doing everything they can to support their loyal customer base as well as their new customers during these unprecedented times and it bothers him everyday when he sees that they cannot do this because of issues out of their control.  Dillon Precision is a GREAT company and all companies, all companies have their issues and problems. Being in business for 44 years is proof that they will come out of this a better company. For over 20 years I have looked to BLUE to support my reloading tools and I will continue to look to BLUE until the day I pass my equipment down to my sons and grandkids.  

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

I can only imagine how COVID has impacted new product releases that companies had scheduled. It has in the business I work in. I went back on this forum over the past week and read a dedicated thread about the release of the XL750 and how Dillon remained tight lipped until about one week before the scheduled release. They had inventory on their shelves to support that launch. 

I then went and read several threads about the continued release delay associated with the RL1100.  I imagine that Dillon has made the decision to remain fairly tight lipped about this release because they know hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of folks will want to give this a try because it is Dillon Precision and I think Dillon wants to make certain that what they sell has been tested and re-tested.

I remember when I was waiting for the RL1100 release a guy at Dillon Precision told me they had a RL1100 in their RDE area that they had cycled one million times to understand what would wear out or break and as a result of this one million cycle run they made several improvements/changes to several key items to address what they learned.  I think Dillon is trying to do this release following a combination of the750 and the 1100 releases.  I for one understand the hundreds if not thousands of hours that go into developing, testing, re-developing, and re-testing an item before you release it for public use.  I have worked in and continue today to work as a Product Development Engineer and have for 31 years.  Think about how over 44 years Dillon has gone from a four stage (450, SD, and 550) press to the five station (650 and 750) to the eight station (1050 and 1100 formats) with rumored (a rumor I am starting myself now 😮) plans of a ten station press sometime down the road.  

Steve Dillon told me himself less about three months ago that he and his company are doing everything they can to support their loyal customer base as well as their new customers during these unprecedented times and it bothers him everyday when he sees that they cannot do this because of issues out of their control.  Dillon Precision is a GREAT company and all companies, all companies have their issues and problems. Being in business for 44 years is proof that they will come out of this a better company. For over 20 years I have looked to BLUE to support my reloading tools and I will continue to look to BLUE until the day I pass my equipment down to my sons and grandkids.  

I can't disagree with anything you said. 100% agree! I'm very excited for their automation and I hope the rumors of more stations are true in the future. I think Dillon has no choice but to add stations with newcomers like the FX10 and the Apex 10. If they don't innovate I believe they will be missing out on that market big time. I really like my 1100. I would really love it if there were more stations, among a few other small things. 

In all honesty, it's definitely easier to wait for Dillon's automation announcement since there are no other options currently available.  If the Mark 7 Auto drive units were readily available it might be a bit harder to hold off on buying one...

Cuz - Agree with you and honestly I have not yet grown tired of pulling the handle on my RL1100. Imam sure that will change at some point but right now it allows me to better understand every possible idiosyncrasy that might occur. Understanding the sound and the feel allows me to quickly understand if something might have gone wrong during a cycle.  Automation can come when I get tired of pulling the handle….No where close to that point yet…..

Dillon rep has said the 10 station press isn't really in the plans anytime soon so unless there is firmer evidence, it's just a hopeful rumor at this point. 

Automation has been assumed to be coming out at some point since the purchase of ammobot, just curious as to what Dillon will change. I'm hopeful the price point will be good as I'd love to get something cost effective for my 1050 just to process brass.

InTheShaw - Thanks for asking your contact at Dillon about a 10 station loader. I apologize for even making this statement in one of my earlier posts.  A Dillon 10 station was only a “want” from me hoping for the best of both worlds. A Dillon manufactured press with 10 stations like the other manufacturers.  My thinking was if anything was in development someone might share a tidbit or morsel to keep my hopes alive.  

Thanks for confirming and again my apology if I spoke out of place to imply I knew something that others did not..It was not my intent….Mark

@Sigarmsp226 Honestly, if more people kept up the rumor then maybe Dillon would finally listen. I've asked them like 20 times to make a 10 station press but it sounds like nothing in consideration until everything is caught up and automation is running smooth.

If the FX10 is a solid press then Dillon may lose some market share there.

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

@Sigarmsp226 Honestly, if more people kept up the rumor then maybe Dillon would finally listen. I've asked them like 20 times to make a 10 station press but it sounds like nothing in consideration until everything is caught up and automation is running smooth.

If the FX10 is a solid press then Dillon may lose some market share there.

Dillon takes a long time to release anything.  Look how long it took for them to release the 1100 even though it was just a refresh of the RL1050.  If they were to do a 10 station press, I wouldn't expect it for the next two or three years.  And in the end, they might not feel that they are losing market share to Mark7, so it's not worth the R&D dollars.

Also, there's a Dillon rep regularly on the Discord reloading server if you want to talk with an insider directly.

Edited by SnipTheDog
Word

1 hour ago, SnipTheDog said:

Dillon takes a long time to release anything.  Look how long it took for them to release the 1100 even though it was just a refresh of the RL1050.  If they were to do a 10 station press, I wouldn't expect it for the next two or three years.  And in the end, they might not feel that they are losing market share to Mark7, so it's not worth the R&D dollars.

Also, there's a Dillon rep regularly on the Discord reloading server if you want to talk with an insider directly.

Used to be a Dillon rep on here almost daily. Haven't seen him in a long time now that I think of it.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:42 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

Dillon rep has said the 10 station press isn't really in the plans anytime soon so unless there is firmer evidence, it's just a hopeful rumor at this point. 

Automation has been assumed to be coming out at some point since the purchase of ammobot, just curious as to what Dillon will change. I'm hopeful the price point will be good as I'd love to get something cost effective for my 1050 just to process brass.

I'm also hopeful but knowing how their pricing works now... I'd expect at least $2000 if not $2500. I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see them release at $1500-1800. Either way more options is good. The only publicly available drives for the 1100 currently are MK7 or FFB. Maybe the P&W will fit an 1100?? I'm not sure. 

On 9/11/2021 at 12:36 PM, Sarge said:

Used to be a Dillon rep on here almost daily. Haven't seen him in a long time now that I think of it.

There is one on discord daily.

8 hours ago, ezra650 said:

I'm also hopeful but knowing how their pricing works now... I'd expect at least $2000 if not $2500. I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see them release at $1500-1800. Either way more options is good. The only publicly available drives for the 1100 currently are MK7 or FFB. Maybe the P&W will fit an 1100?? I'm not sure. 

I hope it's not that much given M7 pricing that has a tablet, good or bad. Can't wait to hear the details, but the Dillon rep on discord said only presses it will work on is the CP or 1100 with no immediate plans to fit a 1050.

Guys - I think it is acceptable to post a link to a couple new auction listings, by the same seller, that started last night in the event someone is looking for an Ammo-Bot auto-drive for their Dillon press.  I am not affiliated with or know this seller.    Mod’s if this is a rule violation please remove and I apologize for my error in posting. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910958885

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910958787

17 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Man Mark 7 hit it out of the park with the form and finish.  From what it looks like controls as well.

The luddite in me prefers the buttons/knobs on the ammo bot, FFB, and others. JMHO. 

10 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

You learn something new everyday.  Nice vocab.

I had to look it up myself. Guess I have some Liddite in my old body also…..Some things are best left unchanged….

ThNks for the new word - I will use it in some upcoming work related presentations 😎

I got an email notice from MidwayUSA saying they had a limited quantity of Mark 7 auto drive Pro for Dillon 1050/1100 press in stock. 

I opted not to order one. The more I use my press, I only find I’d like to automate when I’m processing brass. During the loading phase I tend to stop too often to either make an adjustment, verify a charge weight, etc.  During last nights loading session, out of about 1000 rounds, there were exactly 6 times that the bullet wouldn’t stay on the case when the shell plate rotated. At first I was annoyed, until I found that in all 6 instances, it was due to a cracked case. 

I think I am still learning too much about how this press works to consider automating. For now at least, I’ll stay in manual mode. 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:14 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

Guys - I think it is acceptable to post a link to a couple new auction listings, by the same seller, that started last night in the event someone is looking for an Ammo-Bot auto-drive for their Dillon press.  I am not affiliated with or know this seller.    Mod’s if this is a rule violation please remove and I apologize for my error in posting. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910958885

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910958787

Those are Rev 2 machines. The Rev 3 is much better. Thats what I am running. Rev2 didn't have the more advanced drive and also has a motor that will run at much higher temperatures and requires a fan to keep it cool during long loading sessions. The Rev2 also has a separate rotary encoder for detecting jams that attaches at the left side of the main shaft of the press. 

Edited by Johnnymazz

On 9/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, ezra650 said:

Ammobot for my RL1100 was $1,500.00 OTD. I have been using Jasons machine for almost 2 years. Flawless.

13 hours ago, Cuz said:

I got an email notice from MidwayUSA saying they had a limited quantity of Mark 7 auto drive Pro for Dillon 1050/1100 press in stock. 

I opted not to order one. The more I use my press, I only find I’d like to automate when I’m processing brass. During the loading phase I tend to stop too often to either make an adjustment, verify a charge weight, etc.  During last nights loading session, out of about 1000 rounds, there were exactly 6 times that the bullet wouldn’t stay on the case when the shell plate rotated. At first I was annoyed, until I found that in all 6 instances, it was due to a cracked case. 

I think I am still learning too much about how this press works to consider automating. For now at least, I’ll stay in manual mode. 

I would shy away from the Mark 7 CUZ. Just my 2 cents.