Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got news for you Zak, It was more like a 2 hour window. I mailed my app on dec 1 as specified. I received a call toninght that I was 25th on the waiting list. I should have overnighted it I guess...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that thinks it's really obvious that this match needs to expand? Increase the number of days/stages and let some more people in. It's probably too late this year, but come on, two days? That's silly. I think it would be cool to have the first 3-Gun match with 500 competitors and I bet SMM3G could do it.

It is the case of easier said than done, what a mad house it would be to have 500 competitors! Say 8 minutes per shooter from beep to beep on a well managed stage x 500 = 4,000 minutes or 67 hours per stage! Look at it from a 10-person squad, that would be 50 squads, at 1.5 hours per squad = 75 hrs!!! That's more than 7 hard and tough working days for the match staff & ROs, not to mention grumpy shooters waiting in line if a stage is backed up...I've been there on both sides of the fence & it is no joy amigo!

The sport is growing. PacMan is right. 250 shooters at a multi-3-gun match is a bear. 500 is a wounded bear guarding her cubs. Your going to wear some things out, need a lot of luck, a professional staff (Who will still be thinking no way they’ll ever do this again), and forget about a match that might be shot in two days.

Which brings us back to Economics 101. Price Elasticity of Demand. The price elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded to a change in price, with all other factors held constant. The theory predicts that the quantity demand will normally change (up or down) with an opposite change in price. Example:

The recent spite in gas prices in Alabama after Katrinia was bad, but not as bad as I remember the oil shortages of the early 70s. Then, they kept the prices artificially low (price controls). The result: shortages. No gas at any price. This time they let the prices go. We hated it. We cut back on driving. Made adjustment. Used less gas. But, the main thing that happened was unlike in the 70s, you could find gas, usually. The demand for gas was “Elastic”. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t like high match fees. But, if I really want to do something, to buy something, to go somewhere; then, I should be willing to pay for it. You might have to do a little hunting and you would have to pay through the nose, but you could get it.

Is that fair to everyone? Who cares! It’s American. That’s the way we do it. Price reflects demand. If you want artificially low prices and huge shortages, you would probably love the Canadian healthcare system. The cost is great. The only problem is that you can’t get any procedures scheduled inside of 12 months. I would rather be able to get it done and then bitch about the bill.

Its time for the Match directors to step up. 3 Gun is coming into its own. Demand is up. Your leaving money on the table. What is this? Are we Back in the USSR? Sold out in two days. Your probably missing an opportunity.

A suggestion: Try $500 on the match fee. I’ll go on record predicting that you’ll still sell out before Christmas. But, lets say I’m wrong. Only half this year’s number shows up. The result: you will have the same amount of money coming in and half the trouble and work of the previous year. Am I missing something or is this a no brainer. If the future circumstances change, bring the price back down. Its “Elastic”.

MHearn

If you start making the match fee's $500 then we see who has money to play. Making 3 gun a rich mans sport isnt what its all about.

scottmilk9 - Agreed. We jokingly said something last year about doing just what mhearn stated - at the same figure. We were joking about it and there it ended. The staff that puts on this match are hard working folk - both at the match and at their "real" jobs. We all can appreciate those that complain, because we're right there beside you. A few of the locals asked to drop off their apps at the door - cause they know where we live. I have to be a bitkh about it and say "no" cause we need to be fair with everyone. We have meetings on Mondays and last night I did ask the rest of the guys the same old question: "can we go to four days?". Well - I just about got my head bit off and was scolded with a big long lecture about logistics, staffing, time off of work, reserving range time, and on and on... We just need to cap it at 250 - otherwise, we'd have to cut down on the quality/length of the stages - and we just don't need to go that route - it would degrade the match - and that's not why were here. We love this sport and strive to make our SMM3G a better match every year. We appreciate your continued support.

A2Chic :ph34r:

Hey Stats Chic,

I'm hoping from the posts above that if we didn't get a call then we're in, right?

I sent mine overnight with apps. for 4 buddies in the same envelope. crossing fingers.....toes....

A2Chic

Don't get me wrong. You guys know how to put on a match. Great time in a great location.

By the way, thanks for the call: 12th on the waiting list.

I'm just talking economics. I'm not talking about a high price as a status thing, like first class tickets or a mink coat. I'm talking about price based upon demand. I become puzzled when someone suggests anything else when it comes to purchases.

MHearn

Edited by mhearn

Well, I went in 2004 and I'm glad I did then because MAN I'd hate to have to worry about that now. They put on a good match when I went, but right now other things are taking my time from me. They are a good crew.

Vince

How about as an answer, someone else putting on a 3- gun match in maybe April or May for instance? Then there are more matches to spread around the competitors....

As an aside, we used to pay $300.00 to shoot SOF and it filled up (this was in the 90's when match fees were cheap)! All the good matches fill up...Ft Benning did, DPMS did, Rocky Mt 3-gun did, etc....

Cheryl :)

Over at Area 6 3-Gun I was talking to a couple of fellows who want to put on a big time Tennessee 3-gun/multi-gun match in April.

Tennesse in the spring time is about as close to paradise as it gets (except for Florida in the winter).

Hope it works out cause I'll be there.

A2Chic

I am looking forward to my first SMM experiance - I am sure it will be everything I now know to love and expect from a top US 3 gun comp. B)

I dont know if I can get a heads up here, but with the SMM rules review going on at the moment I was wondering if there was any likely changes to the He Man class - specifically if optics would be an option for the rifle !! :ph34r::D

take care

Mike,

You're going to love it. I was sick as a proverbial dog this year, but had a blast.

As soon as I get back from Korea, I plan on attending again.

Liota

How about as an answer, someone else putting on a 3- gun match in maybe April or May for instance? Then there are more matches to spread around the competitors....

As an aside, we used to pay $300.00 to shoot SOF and it filled up (this was in the 90's when match fees were cheap)! All the good matches fill up...Ft Benning did, DPMS did, Rocky Mt 3-gun did, etc....

Cheryl :)

Cheryl,

San Angelo is doing the TX State 3-Gun in May. Come on out.

Liota

• 2 weeks later...