Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thick new #5 / 9mm shell plate on RL1050

I have a question I just received a new #5 / 9mm shell plate. There is a note that this plate is thicker than the old one.

There is a warning that the hold down screws on the retainer nut may touch. Not a problem.

BUT the ejector arm on the side of the case feed and the primer tube base do not appear to fit. 
Yes I can modify the parts but am I missing something here.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dillon Precision RL1100 223 caliber conversion kit came in last week directly from Dillon Precision with the same exact note in it…..I will be back home tomorrow night and will get a few pictures posted here for you guys and I will also measure the new 223 shell plate thickness against the 9mm shell plate I have on my machine and let you know the difference….Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Hmmm, I wonder why they changed the thickness of the shell plate?  And, which one is better?  I assume the carved out section where the case is held wouldn’t be any thicker or you might not be able to size as far down the case. 

Damn, now that there may be two different 9mm she’ll plates for the RL1100 I “need” to have the better one…

I hate when this happens. 

Guys - as promised below are pictures of the 223 shell plate that came in my caliber conversion that I received directly from Dillon. I did not measure this against my 9mm shell plate because it is mounted on my machine. Was hoping someone here would measure theirs and post the details.  I measured this shell plate in 5 places and all measured the same except one spot that measured 0.0005” thicker (one spot measured 0.2515”)…..Mark

1953-C99-C-472-A-45-F0-BC79-D2167-F586-A

1801-B0-C1-3-B9-F-4674-BDBB-09295-E467-F

7-BD3-A98-B-E023-4-FCF-B2-D1-2751-E818-D

8-A7-F9-A86-9825-488-C-AE1-C-70-BF82-C76

Edited by Sigarmsp226

I just measured 4 different RL 1050 shellplates --all four measure .2000 +/-" across the same measuring surface. It appears the extra thickness is on the top surface with an additional scallop --thus no change in the resize depth. The extra thickness would be helpful to avoid shellplate flex during the station 3 primer pocket swage. It would also mean they are compatibie with earlier production rl 1050/ Super 1050 machines.. This may have been part of the increased rigidity Dillon alluded to the 1100/2000 series which we normally think refers only to the frame.  

Edited by 2tuf4u

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

So, is it worth calling Dillon to try and swap out your old shell plate for one of the newer ones???

Cuz - I just looked at your shell plate and it looks a little “warped”😉 so I think you need to contact Dillon and let them know so that they can send you a replacement….My eyes are not great so I may be wrong - but I may be right……

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - I just looked at your shell plate and it looks a little “warped”😉 so I think you need to contact Dillon and let them know so that they can send you a replacement….My eyes are not great so I may be wrong - but I may be right……

You do know that Dillon is a member here and reads these posts? 

On 8/11/2021 at 7:11 AM, Cuz said:

Hmmm, I wonder why they changed the thickness of the shell plate?  And, which one is better?  I assume the carved out section where the case is held wouldn’t be any thicker or you might not be able to size as far down the case. 

Damn, now that there may be two different 9mm she’ll plates for the RL1100 I “need” to have the better one…

I hate when this happens. 

If you are not having any problems, I think you can safely say that Dillon changed the plates for a good reason and you currently have the "best" one. 

Doc - Yes Sir - I know that Dillon Precision folks actively support and participate on this forum.  It was a joke - that is why I placed the “wink eye” emoji in my comment when I said it……I will refrain from trying to use humor in my posts going forward…..

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Dillon 1050/1100 shell plates are pretty soft and allows for alot of flexing.  I don't know what material they're using, but it is certainly not tool steel like Burly TNT shell plates.

Burly TNT shell plate has much tighter pockets so you get very little case wobble as the shell plate is rotating.   

I wonder if they introduced this new shell plate so it would hold up/work with their automated setup (DillonBot or some other name to be determined at release).

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_40&products_id=309

This shellplate is for loading 9x19/Luger, 38 Super, and many other casings that have the same diameter on a Dillon 1050. It's a direct replacement for Dillon Precision part #12938.

We've improved the shellplates by:

CNC machining our shellplates from A-2 tool steel.
Using custom extractor gauges made to SAAMI cartridge specifications as a "go, no go" gauge for the shellplate pockets. If the casing doesn't fit into the pocket it won't work.
Lowering the shellplate pockets. This greatly reduces casing wobble and helps with casing insertion into the shellplate.
Hardening and annealing the shellplate while flat.
Engraving the shellplate character on the outer edge for easy reference.

In the end you have a shellplate that's extremely durable, perfect for high speed loading, and is 100% made right here in the USA.

SHIPS FREE

On 8/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, dansedgli said:

I found I had more cases not feed into the fancy shellplate. Went back to the dillon.

Any chance the shell plate you were using were FF&B?

I've not had any issues with Burly TNT #5 shell plate.   I plan to run the Burly TNT shell plates on all my Dillons.  Much better quality than OEM.

I know there are some issues with #1 plate with some small primer .45 ACP brass due to the much thicker and out of spec rims.

42 minutes ago, George16 said:

Immortobot, FF&B, TNT, GS Custom just to name a few.

Thanks, I had no idea there were that many. I guess each one has their own reason why theirs is better. 

2 hours ago, ddc said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Immortobot is reselling the TNT plate.

FW Arms is also making them.

Correct.  Immortal arms is a dealer for TNT shell plates.  Immortal Arms uses Ammobots to test TNT shell plates at very fast speeds.  That should tell you something about the quality/fit/function of TNT shell plates.  Everything they sell is well tested and I've yet to be disappointed with anything I've purchased from them.

https://immortobot.com/

disclaimer:  Not affiliated with anyone and I've purchased all my stuff.

13 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

F W Arms is now making and selling plates for Dillon presses also….

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/pre-order-3-plate-for-dillon-super-1050-1100-cp2000-by-f-w-arms/

I'm guessing this will be a very valid option. Their universal decapper die is built like a tank. Plus it just plain works.

Sorry I didn’t get back sooner.

it is a Dillion.

the problem I had was the primer tube base would have to be modified to allow the extra thickness.

found a standard thickness old #5 plate a used that. 
I have another 1050 and super 1050 not this rl1050. It has over 250k rounds though it. I realize some people run that though in a month my older plate in the super 1050 is still running great